We happy band of men

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by CharlieBubbles, Feb 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't say you're English

From the Queen's Royal Lancer's Website:

Goodbye to my England, So long my old friend
    Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
    To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
    But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such
    may Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
    You can say you are Russian or maybe a Dane
    But don't say you're English ever again

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
    In Brussels its Scrapped, in Parliament too
    Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
    They must not teach children about England of old

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
    The pupils do not learn about them anymore
    How about Agincourt, Hastings, Arnhem or Mons
    When England lost hosts of her very brave sons

We are not Europeans, how can we be?
    Europe is miles away over the sea
    We're the English from England, let's all be proud
    Stand up and be counted- Shout it out loud

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
    We're proud of our heritage and the red White and blue Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
    Let the world know - we want OUR ENGLAND BACK !!!!
  2. I can possibly see someone getting in trouble for that.

But for the actual text well said. Couldn't agree more
  3. Very good. But a point to note, If your English, why would you fly the British Flag? Or does this carry on with the common mis-conception that all British people are English?

4. But all the English ARE British aye? Or am i missing something 'ere?
  5. So what is SO wrong saying what you think in a Demoratic Country such as ours?

You will not get stoned to death, or have your tounge ripped out, or even hung from a Hiab in the city sqaure .. YET!

Althought is that NOT the truth and sod the tree hugers!

We still have the Cross of St George, unless you live in Lancashire, when during the last European Cup a pal was told by the police to take the flags off his car, in case he offened others!!!

"Free Britian" .. :wink:
  6. A very quick re-write so no apologies for bad poetry:

Goodbye to my Angleland, so long my kidnapped friend
    Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
    To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
    But don't say you're Anglish, that's way out of line.

We came from France and Germany to conquer this fair Isle
    With some help from our Norweigan Friends, who brought the Danish too
    A 1000 years we have had our fun but now its time to go
    Us Anglish we must depart and wish you all adieu

At Broadcasting House the truth is taboo
    In Brussels its Scrapped, in Parliament too
    Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
    They must not teach children about Angleland of old

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
    Are in the fore, whilst others are ignored
    How about Agincourt, Hastings, Arnhem or Mons
    When the Angleish, Celts, Irish and Gaels lost hosts of their very brave sons

We are not Europeans, how can we be?
    But where we came from is miles away over the sea
    We're the Anglish from Angleland, let's all be proud
    Stand up and be counted- Shout it out loud

But until the Anglish realise where their roots do lie
    That proud peoples owned this land before the Romans came
    Stop whining and moaning, stand back, take stock
    Its could be worse, but for twist of fate, you could have been born a frog.
  7. I always said that I was British first and English second, and was a British soldier not an English soldier.
    But the increasing nationalism of others and the increasing vocalism of minorities is making me stand up and say I AM ENGLISH and British. And with all respect to our Celtic relations what is wrong with that?

Yet what is English? Of 4 grandparents one was English, one was Catalan, two were from Scottish parentage, and I grew up an Englishman. Pride, a way of thinking, of knowing that there is something special about all of us who hail from these Isles. But instead of making people welcome and show them what we are like, and make them like us, we have to forget who we are so as not to offend.
    They came here for God's sake.

The last time we were conquered in 1066 to be English was to be inferior, is that what our rulers really want us to feel?
  8. Sorry, not actually true, we came after the Romans, the Celts had it all theirs before then, and till 440 ish when we started to arrive.
    Your roots mein freund are in Germany and Frisia und Holland.
  9. The point was that the Celts were here before the English came, come across lots of English who do not seem to realise this. My roots lie firmly on this Island.
  10. Ok. Got that now. So do at least half of my roots.
    But given that the Celts were here first, how long does it take to become part of the country? That it becomes your home?
    After all the Celts deposed the previous occupants of the Isles and were in their turn invaders.

My dad came to the UK at age nine and was very firmly British in his thoughts and way of thinking, more so than some of the politicians we have today.

I live abroad, but when I return and stand in the Northumbrian hills I feel that THIS is where I am from, that I am part of it, and I would give my life for it. Surely that is what it is all about?
    And how many of us on this mongrel island really can be sure of our roots, not that many, there is always more inter-mixing goes on than is realized.
  11. The Germanic invaders were also Celtic peoples, they had the same art, weapons, religion and culture. Which is why the "Invasion" happened without any apparent fighting. During the period there was far more warfare between the Celtic kings than with the newcomers.
    Most coastal regions were peopled by even later Scandinavian invaders. If you are a Scot, an Irishman or God forbid Welsh you stand as good a chance of having Norwegian, Danish, Norman or Saxon ancestry as any Englishman. The centuries long love afair between Scotland and the soap dodgers also left it's mark, those lacey collars and cuffs when you get all togged up for a wedding for example. Look at the names of the coastal islands and headlands, nearly all come from old norse. South Wales and Ireland had Norman lords in residence before 1066, they married in.

Melting pot, we've already been there!
  12. actually using your reasoning your roots are probably from the stepps of russia or even africa if you want to go that far back
  13. According to a quick bit of web research that I have just carried out (which I do not claim to be authoritative), the primary school curriculum (according to QCA) includes:

"local history study
    Romans, Anglo-Saxons and Vikings in Britain
    Britain and the wider world in Tudor times
    Victorian Britain or Britain since 1930
    A European history study (the Ancient Greeks);
    A world history study (one from Ancient Egypt, Ancient Sumer, the Assyrian Empire, the Indus Valley, the Maya, Benin or the Aztecs).

While secondary school curriculum includes (from a different website):

"Medieval Realms: History of England, Scotland and Wales in the period 1066-1500. Usually this consists of a study of the Norman Invasion, life in Medieval Towns and Villages, a study of some of the problems that were faced by monarchs at the time and a study of Castles and/ or Cathedrals. Other aspects of Medieval life can, and often are, covered, though usually in less depth. Usually taught in Year 7.

Making of the United Kingdom. British history 1500-1750. The eras of the Tudors and the Stuart dynasty's to all intents and purposes. This study unit looks at the religious turmoil in England and Europe during the Reformation, the conflicts with Spain, Colonisation, the Gunpowder Plot, the causes, events of and consequences of the English Civil War, social, technological and economic change during the period. Usually taught in Year 8.

Britain 1750-1900 (Expansion, Trade and Industry). This unit covers the era of the Industrial and Agricultural revolutions. Local History is a key part of this study. The Unit also covers the expansion of the British Empire, the Slave Trade, Social and Political Change and technological advances of the era. Usually taught in Year 9.

The Twentieth Century World. This Study Unit looks at the causes events and consequences of the First and Second world wars. It analyses the changes in the global community over the past 100 years and looks at social and economic changes within Britain and Europe. This unit is usually taught in Year 9.

Optional Study Units

Now, I am Welsh, so I may not be over enthusiastic about the teaching of purely "English" history in schools, however I do not immediately see why this curriculum (if it is correct) falls short. If it is in any way correct then the base from which the author of the poem (quoted in the first post) is working is wrong.

I'm all for the teaching of our national history - including the history involving Wales, Scotland and Ireland. I think that the teaching of purely "English" history would be ridiculous. How would one deal with those matters such as relations with the inhabitants of the other parts of the British Isles (and in this I include Ireland)?

But if anyone is going to complain about deficiencies in the curriculum, please do it on the basis of what is actually in the curriculum, rather than what the writer of some jingoistic and ignorant doggerel imagines might be the case.
  14. What amuses me about all this English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh drivel is that the man in the street hardly ever mentions it, it really isn't a part of everyday life. In all my time in khaki I never remember hearing anyones Britishness being queried, I kno wthat there was always a lot of mick taking but that's all it ever was. This mini-nationalism is a direct result of labour's policies on devolution which was no more or less than a plot to create another layer of government and so, more jobs for politicians. My parents were Welsh and I've always been proud of my Welshness but have never thought that being Welsh made me any better than any other Briton. I don't doubt that if I were to start nit-picking I could find instances of where the English/Irish/Scottish get preferential treatment to the Welsh but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. The people of Berwick on Tweed didn't vote in that recent survey to become Scottish, they voted top be placed under an administration that gave them more perks (directly as a result of the aforementioned labour policies)
  15. No just that, if you are proud to be English, why indeed would your fly a UJ. Im proud to be Scottish, and fly a Saltire on St Andrews Day, not a UJ.

Of course you can be proud to be English/Welsh/Scottish, and British, then you could fly both, but the poem, as i read it, wasnt about being British, so why include the British flag. Just like the Rugby, with the English using the British National Anthem. :?