We had an empire once!

First it was the dome,then the Scottish parliament building and Wembley stadium. now terminal 5 turns to ratshite.
We ran an empire once. We struggle to run a bath these days.
I don't want to turn this into a daily Mail thread but....
....Why can't we build anything that works anymore?
and What chance the Olympic Games?

T5 was delivered on time and on budget. The baggage handling system (and I know a few people who've seen and tested it) is a masterpiece of engineering. I understand the problem has been a lack of training - people just didn't know how to operate it properly. In my book that's unpardonable and is a failure of management.

We had one too and also a Granada and an Odeon but they are all supermarkets now. :D

To be fair similar debacles have plagued other newly opened airports/terminals in 'sophisticated' countries - Denver springs to mind for one.
That said I think it's pretty par for the course at Heathrow - rude staff, dirty terminals, chaotic check-in areas, confusing arrival halls, what a bloody awful first impression of Britain for first time visitors.

labrat said:
Busterdog said:
rude staff, dirty terminals, chaotic check-in areas, confusing arrival halls

Fecking Hell - its being run by Crab air!
Aye - though I can't ever remember an Immigration official dressed in a burqua at BZZ or Lyneham as I witnessed last year on my arrival at Heathrow.

CutLunchCommando said:
Agreed on the management failure. A rehersal wouldnt have been the hardest thing to organise.
Exactly. i presume a few scenarios were run through a computer and the management decided everything was OK. Then when people were put into the mix, surprise, surprise, things started going wrong.
I think we are losing the ability to man manage in this country. Whether it is fear of upsetting the PC police or health & safety (god I hate H&S)i don't know.
I remember being scared witless of my SNCO's and would do almost anything to make sure I got it right. It seems apathy rules the waves these days, certainly in civvie street.

The BA (or was it BAA?) Operations Director responsible gave a grim, clipped little speech on the News this evening about 'teething problems' or somesuch. When the BBC reporter pursued him with further questions his minders blocked the way as he marched back to his suite. That scenario is inevitably the precedent for management restructuring. I wonder how much he'll get?

Wonder what the name is of the Official who was/is in charge of the operation ?
The Nation is held up, world wide, for all to see.
A National disgrace.
john

...was a com poot er involved per chance?

CutLunchCommando said:
Agreed on the management failure. A rehersal wouldnt have been the hardest thing to organise.
They had a rehersal, they even had a rehersal which included the public. Both the Beeb and Channel 4 were reporting the problem as being BA groundcrew (baggage handlers) being held up getting into work and then getting through security. This caused baggage to back up in the system and that system to break down.

the name of the exec in charge is----tiffany.
honest guv-tiffany hall.
she apparently shimmied away in her power jacket and high heels into the night,no chance of the dole though is there?

Sven said:
CutLunchCommando said:
They had a rehersal, they even had a rehersal which included the public. Both the Beeb and Channel 4 were reporting the problem as being BA groundcrew (baggage handlers) being held up getting into work and then getting through security. This caused baggage to back up in the system and that system to break down.
A memory stirs of some sort of demo day for the press. Was that it?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just listening to the news on the Light Progaram, it seems the problem at T5 was the luggage. Now, whether it was the wrong sort of luggage, or was Rincewind's luggage, or since it is referred to as 'baggage' maybe it was faulty baggage, or unsuitable baggage, like that Tiffany Hall women. She seems an unsuitable baggage.