We broke someones laptop, do we have to pay?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Need_Help!, Sep 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst in our four man room in Kandahar myself and 2 friends had some good news. Upon hearing the news 1 friend jumped on my front and then the other jumped on my back. Upon him doing so i lost my balance and staggered backwards onto 1 of my room-mates bed. our room-mate was watching a dvd on his laptop at the time and we happened to fall on it. The laptop screen was broken and we suspect also his hard-drive. This was completly accidental and we were wondering on a legal prospective do we have to pay for the laptop and can the army do anything to make us pay?

2. If you and your two pals have got anything about you you wouldn't even be posting this, you'd just split it between you and replace it.... Jack tossers

Can this be moved from charity?

3. Don't be a jack barsteward. Pay up. Your skylarking resulted in a guys laptop being broken. Between 3 of you, it shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred quid each. An expensive lesson but it will ensure that you won't do it again.

If it were me that it happened to and you refused to pay up, I guarantee that I would put your head through the nearest wall. Repeatedly and until you changed your mind.

4. We've offered to get it fixed but he's insisting on us buying him a brand new one.

5. Get him a new one - of at least the same standard. It would cost more to repair, and you owe him

6. We don't care if you think we're jack thats not the matter in hand, anyone with any legal knowledge who could help us out?

7. You JACK BAST@RDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I was your room-mate and knew you were trying to avoid paying up, I'd have set fire to your fcuking beds by now, with you fast asleep in them.

I hope you die of somethin' nasty.

Leave the forces NOW you lilly livered, spineless w@nkers.

Edited to get around the swearing Police.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Legally - I would look the other way as your 'mate' extracted the cost of a new laptop from your head by way of using it to make a new window in the room.

9. Never mind a legal requirement, how about the moral one. You share a room with this man and have broken something of his. He could take you to a small claims court on your return, but this would be after he had told all in your unit what jack fukkers you had been. If I was in his position I would then go and break something valuable to you. You have a MORAL obligation to replace this blokes laptop. Remember, values and standards. If it was your kit broken you would expect it replaced

10. look once again we aint askin for what we should do "morally" cos we obviously already know that we just want some legal advice on where we stand cos the lad whos laptop it is aint exactly playin fair either. Cheers

11. Legally you are liable to cough up. You were negligent in your behaviour and therefore any damage caused as a result of said negligence is your responsibility. I suggest your oppo takes you to the small claims court which will find in his favour.

Also I recommend your boss AGAI' 67's your collective asses for being jack b*stards above and beyond the call of duty or failing that, some relentless time on stag may make you consider if you are cut out for a military career with your obvious contempt for your comrades.

I'm glad I'm not on Ops with you and your mates.... selfishness is a characteristic of the coward.

12. Legally, the guy has a very strong case for you to be charged for criminal damage.

It's a no-brainer. Either you pay up voluntarily now or you pay up later forcefully and have a criminal record to boot.

13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Legally? I'm sorry I can't fathom why you are even asking this question. You broke the mans laptop, destroyed his property in a careless act. Why do you think, he's not playing fair? These days, a laptop is an important piece of gear for a soldier, overseas.

I would suggest that you get together with your mates and see which is the best way to go, repair or replacement! I can't see buying a better laptop then he had; however, a new one of the same model with the same bells and whistles would be right. I think, in most cases, you'll find that computer repairs, can be more expensive then buying a new computer of the same type. Check and see which one is best.

I don't think you are going to find anyone here on this board, that doesn't think that you should take care of this matter, as soon as you can and quit looking for excuses. Nobody is going to give you legal advice, because you are along with the others, are guilty of property damage, to the mans personal property.

If he was to take the case to your CO, I'm sure you would be subject to some punishment along with still having to pay for his laptop.

Bottom line, if the person is demanding a new laptop, do it! Buy one with the same stuff or even the same model if you can find one.

Suck it up! :wink:

14. Looks like negligence to me.

IMO (and My mind is very rusty)

DoC --> Yes
    Breach of DoC --> Probably
    Causation --> Prob

Hence, if he sued (which probably is not gg to happen) then you prob have to pay.

One pt though - you were in afghanistan? Does English law apply there?

15. If you break a laptop screen then it is always cheaper to buy a new one. No ifs or buts.

When I worked for penny-pinching boss who didn't want to buy me a decent laptop I "accidentally" closed the screen while leaving my pen on the keyboard. Hey presto broken screen and two repair shops said "get a new one". Any other damage they can normally repair.

And you are a spineless little shite for trying to weasel out of replacing his laptop.

Find out the spec of his laptop: brand (IBM, Toshiba, etc), CPU speed and type, RAM size, DVD type (R/W, Read only, CD burn only, etc) and the size of his hard drive. Then buy him a new one as close to the original as possible.

PS You and your two mates are cnuts.