Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We are sleepwalking into Nineteen Eighty-Four

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Fixed that for you. That so-called teacher sounds a real piece of work, and needs some serious attitude adjustment.

Why does the answer have to be violence?

My point is that many within the system may also be in fear of the system. That's the problem with 'liberals' - they're really quite savage when you're off-message. At that point, your total character assassination and destruction is entirely justified.

So, you're 30 years into your job, hanging on like grim death for the pension, and because you make one utterance (not necessarily anything bad, just something which doesn't fit the dogma) you lose everything.

It is rule by fear.

I can also see a flip side to this: that we end up breeding a generation of kids who are so cynical that there's a huge backlash.

One could argue that that's already starting - look at the rise of the Right on mainland Europe. It's not something I condone or support but again those on the Left should be careful about what they provoke.

How do you get such large sums for major purchases?

Bank transfer.

Your direct debits provide a huge wadge of info, heck even your dumb phone is tracking your every move. Your news sites and weather sites are doing the same.

Phone, power, water, insurance is about it for direct debits. Dumb phone welcome to try from where it spends most of its time under the car seat or in the kitchen when I forget it at home instead of in the car. Probably doesn't do all that well without being charged though. Can't really be arsed with the things.

You might not be giving them as much personal info as Facebook users, but they don't need that much detail. As I said before, the algorithms of your overall behaviour (and that of hundreds of thousands of people like you), including your tech-sceptical nature, your use of cash, your choice of phone, all provide more than enough info about you to have your life and those of the people around you marked down very clearly.

They're welcome to it. Doubt it tells them as much about me as you'd like to think. Knowing I'm tech sceptical is fine but they may have some difficulty as to which movies I like or what kind of food I prefer. As for the weather sites and such - company log in.

I know business tries to glean data but I see no reason why I should make it easy for them. So far I think I'm ahead. It amuses me to burst the bubbles of telemarketers who call me armed with a few details about me, which I then contradict to sow fear and confusion.

While on the subject of data gathering I wonder if there is any truth in the story that somebody has linked all the programmable data from NHS, DVLA, HMRC.
No. HMRC can't even link it's own IT databases let alone those of outside agencies

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Dream on.

You have a point, the days when we didn't have to worry about a police state because Capita would be designing the IT side have gone

Why does the answer have to be violence?

My point is that many within the system may also be in fear of the system. That's the problem with 'liberals' - they're really quite savage when you're off-message. At that point, your total character assassination and destruction is entirely justified.

So, you're 30 years into your job, hanging on like grim death for the pension, and because you make one utterance (not necessarily anything bad, just something which doesn't fit the dogma) you lose everything.

It is rule by fear.

I can also see a flip side to this: that we end up breeding a generation of kids who are so cynical that there's a huge backlash.

One could argue that that's already starting - look at the rise of the Right on mainland Europe. It's not something I condone or support but again those on the Left should be careful about what they provoke.
Funny you should say this. On an anecdotal level my eldest came out (before going to Uni) and got hooked on all the woke dogma on interwebz, then went to Uni and got well and truly BGTQ+++++ drunk. My youngest (8 years between them) on the other hand has grown on following memes and various you tube stuff (the cynical mickey take stuff about gender so on etc.) and whilst not goose stepping and still maintaining liberal thinking values (WRT sexuality etc.) is quite the opposite of everything being 'woke' (facts before feelings).

I don't like anything beyond Wolverhampton Wanderers videos from the 1960s on YouTube, so I have nothing to worry about.

You have plenty of other things to worry about!

Speaking of a dystopian future, Rutger Hauer who played 'Roy Batty’ the replicant in Blade Runner whose Iconic "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.” monologue that finished with 'Time to Die’, has just died. RIP.

It was and remains an unforgettable scene

And for extra irony he died in the same year that he Roy Batty died in Blade Runner

Latest Threads