Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We are sleepwalking into Nineteen Eighty-Four

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
While on the subject of data gathering I wonder if there is any truth in the story that somebody has linked all the programmable data from NHS, DVLA, HMRC.

Dredd

LE
Seriously, who would NOT want a Public Surveillance Unit to assist with everyday police investigation?

Predicted.jpg

Only question is - which super structure would you use to house it, now the Statue of Justice has already been tagged by Mega-City One?

While on the subject of data gathering I wonder if there is any truth in the story that somebody has linked all the programmable data from NHS, DVLA, HMRC.
When my Mother died, the very helpful lady at the registry office said if I wanted,I could tick the box on her form and "all the relevant parties" would be informed - this included her GP,the DWP,DVLA and HMRC ... Also my bank keep telling me about the advantages of linking all my different bank accounts onto their online banking site.

FFS don't go putting ideas into their collective bureaucratic heads, its bad enough with plod having access to most of the government systems, all combined and you are into a dystopian Orwell future, akin to north Korea, Nazi Germany ,and china, the mind boggles.

We are already living the utopian dream and the state has little choice given the almost open borders and movement of people, money, goods and all controlled via the internet... Oddly, the fruits of the west have being exported and Russia/China are simply operating overtly and across the globe people are surrounded by listeners.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope the teenager and their parents take this further. Saw this video last week. The teacher got triggered and the boy did right.

The teacher is guilty of a dogmatic response. Triggered, aye.

I left school in 1986. I had teachers who by modern standards would be seen as stuffy. They would have dealt with this whole topic with far more liberty and understanding than we see now - you know, in the ‘bad old days’.

I tried to post this clip on the Birmingham schools row thread but can’t find it. If anyone can help, I’d be obliged.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mine will show I buy hammers, duct tape and cable ties, I may be in trouble

They'll just assume you are employed as a mechanical engineer. To complete the ruse buy wd40 as well.

Blogg

LE
When my Mother died, the very helpful lady at the registry office said if I wanted,I could tick the box on her form and "all the relevant parties" would be informed - this included her GP,the DWP,DVLA and HMRC ... Also my bank keep telling me about the advantages of linking all my different bank accounts onto their online banking site.

Yes, there are a slew of people oh so keen and helpful to link all financial accounts of yours so that you only have to deal with them to arrange payments.

Then there are the banks pushing "Direct Payments" so you can may payments direct from a bank account rather than say a credit card. Wonderful!

Until you understand that there is no chargeback protection on bank direct payments as opposed to credit card payments.

That, oddly enough, features large in all the marketing to retailers and eCommerce, but is buried in the small print at the Consumer end.

I tried to post this clip on the Birmingham schools row thread but can’t find it. If anyone can help, I’d be obliged.
It got binned. Sixty gave his reasoning.
"No. It's the case that tedious, one-note, obsessed dullards - whether it be with Islam or LGBT issues - are seriously wearying to moderate and don't help themselves when they fail to comprehend that differing standards apply in various parts of the site. You're supposed to be grown-ups. Go outside and do something less boring instead."

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
From Tesco nowadays pretty much the only things I buy are washing powder, bog roll, bleach, kippers, ginger ale and individual limes, lemons and onions (because at Aldi the last three are only sold by the bagful and the kippers and GA not at all). What that adds up to as a profile I do wonder.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It got binned. Sixty gave his reasoning.
"No. It's the case that tedious, one-note, obsessed dullards - whether it be with Islam or LGBT issues - are seriously wearying to moderate and don't help themselves when they fail to comprehend that differing standards apply in various parts of the site. You're supposed to be grown-ups. Go outside and do something less boring instead."

Thanks.

Fair enough. Some people were being a bit silly.

That is one of the most concerning things I've seen in this thread. I think I said a while back on a somewhat related thread, schools aren't there for education anymore, it's indoctrination.

Schools have been for indoctrination as long as I can remember as far back as the 70's, it's not a new thing

I assume it started earlier than that

Blogg

LE
Schools have been for indoctrination as long as I can remember as far back as the 70's, it's not a new thing

I assume it started earlier than that

Late 1960's but the Leftard influence began to grown in the 1970's.

Main reason: generational and attitude change amongst teaching population.

School my sons went to was a notable in being an exception until Head was "retired" 5 years ago and new incumbent, a right on twatess who purged anyone who was not fully on the inclusive non judgemental social justice message, presided over increasing chaos in the process.

Teaching staff went from about 50:50 male: female to 90% female in the process and mostly under 30. (Cheaper)

Now a Hellhole that people go to great efforts to avoid sending their children to.

I have a very high tech method of stopping spies switching my camera on , a piece of masking tape over the camera.
I mentioned this elsewhere, how there is a very telling picture out there of Mark Zuckerberg sitting at a desk in Facebook HQ or somewhere, smiling benignly for the photographer. On the desk behind him sits a laptop. With masking tape covering the camera.

If Zuckerberg feels that even he is so vulnerable to such hacking (or perhaps because he knows damn well what technology his own company uses) that such crude measures are his last resort, the rest of us should be paying attention.

Cash for everything except monthly direct debits, dumb phone and no satnav. No twatter, faecesbook, linkedin or other herd mentality bs. ARRSE is about it apart from the odd news site and online sat pics and weather sites for work.

I also have the remains of issued rat packs dumped in a store room, probably enough for three months. Should the neighbours be concerned?

Cash for everything? How do you manage that? How do you get such large sums for major purchases?

You can hide whether you buy a pack of polo mints or a Mars bar when you popped into the shop this morning through paying cash, everything else is monitored.

Your direct debits provide a huge wadge of info, heck even your dumb phone is tracking your every move. Your news sites and weather sites are doing the same.

You might not be giving them as much personal info as Facebook users, but they don't need that much detail. As I said before, the algorithms of your overall behaviour (and that of hundreds of thousands of people like you), including your tech-sceptical nature, your use of cash, your choice of phone, all provide more than enough info about you to have your life and those of the people around you marked down very clearly.

They know exactly the sort of person you are, your age, where you live, your political opinions, your car, what sort of job you do, what sort of health you are likely to be in, the movies you like, your sporting interests, probably your sexual inclinations, your taste in food, where you like to go on holiday, countless other aspects of your life that you probably never even thought about.

They have you absolutely down pat, and using cash isn't hiding your identity in any way. The Stasi in East Germany wouldn't have had as much info on you as some low-level staff member of a bank or government office could get on you with one tap of a computer key.

I mentioned this elsewhere, how there is a very telling picture out there of Mark Zuckerberg sitting at a desk in Facebook HQ or somewhere, smiling benignly for the photographer. On the desk behind him sits a laptop. With masking tape covering the camera.

If Zuckerberg feels that even he is so vulnerable to such hacking (or perhaps because he knows damn well what technology his own company uses) that such crude measures are his last resort, the rest of us should be paying attention.

Here's the pic to which I alluded.

main-qimg-03daa2dcc04d3a7b812a4b740c528a14.jpg