WE ARE PULLING OUT OF IRAQ.

General Sir Richard Dannatt the new head of the British Army has said absolutely clearly tonight 12/10/06 that all troops must leave IRAQ NOW.

All troops are to be withdrawn as soon as safe to do so.

Andy Gregory added ABOUT FCKING TIME TO :D

They got it -well done that man.

BBC link

Hmm, who knows the sort of mess Iraq will be in when UK/US forces do finally leave?

I would almost be of the mind that it would be unsportsmanlike to pull out now after being the effective cause of the whole problem.

Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to use a cliche.

PotYos said:
BBC link

Hmm, who knows the sort of mess Iraq will be in when UK/US forces do finally leave?

I would almost be of the mind that it would be unsportsmanlike to pull out now after being the effective cause of the whole problem.

Very good point and I agree.
Remember the chaotic scenes from evacuating vietnam.
Watch this space and mark my words!!!!!!!!!!

EAGLE1 said:
General Sir Richard Dannatt the new head of the British Army has said absolutely clearly tonight 12/10/06 that all troops must leave IRAQ NOW.

I say it's going to be safe in about 5 yrs. So I won't hold my breath if I was you ( which I'm not , thank feck.)

EAGLE1 said:

i will belive it when i see it

Its good to see we finally have a member of the top brass with some balls to match..

Its just a shame he will now be looking for a new job (they will call it a sideways move of course) as it flys in the face of the governments policy..

I dont think Tony B Liar will have the balls to sack him!

Guy on breakfast news this morning said that soldiers on an army forum were supporting this guy and his views. Didn't mention the site but im assuming it was this one.

PotYos said:
BBC link

Hazarding a guess I dont suppose the families of the sevicemen who caught a 'sportsmanlike' death out there would quite agree with you there mate!!

thank god he has got the balls to admit we need to pull out...we cant fight in and police afganistan and iraq without comprimising our security, notice how it is the complete opposite as his US counterpart saying that US will be there till at least 2010...finally doing whats best for our country not the US

I think the entire situation is unfortunate. Unfortunate if Iraq and Afghanistan go down the tubes. That would have lasting implications for both the US and the UK, even some other countries.

Pulling out effectively constitutes a win for insurgents as this is their strategy. I understand why you would want to pull out but it sounds like not all of you agree it's the best thing to do. We're having the same debates over here as well.

Another poster mentioned it being unsportsmanlike to leave now. I wouldn't word it like that but I understand what he meant. There are two ways to look at that in my opinion.

One is that everyone that's died has done so without purpose if the country destabilizes after a pull out, the other is that who else would need to die if you stay. What's it worth? I don't think anything over there is worth a single soldiers life US, UK or other but then again, I'm not in charge.

Personally having been a soldier for 12 years in the US Army I'm losing faith more and more in this conflict. We've lost direction in the this fight, certainly lost momentum and the initiative. As a soldier, I never questioned the right or wrong of it. That wasn't for me to say.

In any regard, I want to personally thank you gents for having been there at our side, regardless of the right or wrong of the cause. Sometimes you just have to do what is necessary and not always correct.

So Tony Blair now agrees with "every word" Dannatt said?

Wants to exit Iraq, "when the job is done", and remove troops when "no longer needed" in certain areas.

So that is all right then. For a minute people might have thought that the Army Grandees were overtly saying that

(i) Stupid self interested politicians had created what is possibly a no-win position and were making it worse.

(ii) they were not going to be blamed when the whole country finally goes so tits up that it cannot be controlled.

(iii) equally not going to be blamed if conflict escalates in the Region