We are not the dead

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by BiscuitsAB, Jan 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Some of you have been on Herrick and some of you more than once.This Old n Bold cold war warrior is currently sat on his arrse drinking tea and smoking fags reading threads, well I found this linky to the telegraph next to the article/thread on celbs in Afghanistan.

We Are Not The Dead: soldiers' faces before, during and after serving in Afghanistan - Telegraph

To me this small series of photographs say much more than the words in the attendant article could ever say about the how a tour can affect some people. Not got much more to add other than it gave me cause to pause a moment and think about the non financial costs of this conflict.
  2. Some American journo did the same not long back.
  3. Some peoples life's make those taken in war seem like a fairy story. For fucks sake get real.
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

That may be true. But those people you speak of were not dropped into a shitstorm by my elected representatives, based on a lie (or God talking to them) paid for by my taxes and****ed over in my name.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. My Mother would say I wasn't the same nor have I been but I put that down to the month off I had off after pissed out of my skull and spending the hard earned pennies on brasses and lads weekends away, it was hell....
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Very true. There are tragedies happening everywhere and not just in war zones.... of course the war zone thing does have the additional factors of climatic extremes, pointy metal things being propelled in your direction, imaginative uses for agricultural produce and fertilisers, a percentage of the population who want to kill you and the remainder just wishing you'd **** off and leave them alone in their medieval theocracy. The OP was pretty "real" if you ask me - and if you have a personal agenda this probably wasn't the best place to air it.
  7. Also true. But this is the third journo to make money out of this face thing, and really, it ****ing stinks when you think it through.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Some people? which people? Actually thats by the by and I'm not really interested in it. What I am interested in is the series of photographs in that article. I'm not interested in the Journalist, who they are or how much they got paid. I'm not interested in whether or not its an original idea. I'm not interested in the politics of the newspaper or its owners.

I am however interested in the photographs and they way the highlight the physical changes that those individuals have gone through and how they might lead one to consider in greater scope the potential for psychological changes in members or the Armed forces returning from this current conflict. I'm also interested in how individuals that might need either physical or psychological rehab are given the support they require post tour, post Army and into civvie street. Broken Minds are not as easy to spot as broken or missing limbs nor do they always present with any level of immediacy.

Thank you for your input on this thread, I'll just pop of and get real then.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TheIronDuke

Take a ****ing seat.

Journo's make money by writing stuff the GFP may be interested in. In this case, some sort of photo log of kids before, during and after a major ****ing shitstorm which was, and is, Herrick. I for one found it interesting and what is the wind beneath my wings from the gig is this. Pay attention.

Of all those pics, the first one, they were kids.

The second... yeah, they looked.. different. Not scared, maybe wary. Which, when you consider where the second pics were taken is not surprising.

But what made me smile? In almost every case, in the third pic, they looked more suss. More easy with themselves. Again, not surprising considering what they had just flown out of.

So my little chickadee. I clicked that link and maybe, just maybe, me and the rest of the GFP, understood a bit about what happened to those kids. And if a Journo made money out of that? I hope he/she made a ****ing fortune.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Perchance they could have in hindsight, carried out a before and after for those COLD WAR WARRIORS?? We could have hours of fun judging the weight gain due to the consumption of wurst and bier!!
    • Like Like x 3
  11. They're not kids. They're adults. It must also only happen to a few as I know hundreds of blokes who have seen combat and they don't look like heroin addicts.
  12. You mean the Taliban?
  13. TheIronDuke

Anybody under the age of 30 is a kid so far as I am concerned. After 30 they need to prove themselves as an adult.

Heroin addicts you say? Those kids did not strike me as heroin addicts but I defer to your superior knowledge. How many heroin addicts have you met precisely?
  14. My younger brother and sister are both heroin addicts. Hopefully they'll both die soon.
  15. TheIronDuke

Hey, sorry Bud. I feel your pain. It must be a cross to bear.

Was your sister in Superkrush in Newcastle last Friday night? About 5'6", blonde, in black bondage gear and waving one of them light sticks around her head?