We are at war, but where is the leadership?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Jul 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Major Will Pike (Rtd) served with 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment in Helmand in 2006, and is the author of From the Front Line Major Patrick Little (Rtd) was posted to Afghanistan in 2004, and left the Army last year after 16 years' service

in full

2. Aj - thanks for putting up the post. Completely agree with the thrust of this. Very much a "wake up and smell the coffee" contribution. Must read his book if this is anything to go by.
  3. I thought Pashtu was the language. Like Urdu. Wonder what the rest of his research was like. Unless it's that Para-Spelling interface again.
  4. Will Pike? Is that Hugh Pike's son?
  5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

6. To put the country on a war footing is something quite specific and is what it sounds like - very extreme. I doubt the author understands the effect that would have upon the economy and the UK overall.
  7. There's also a mountain somewhere in the UK named after his great-great-granddda Scafell.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Mr C

While I agree (partly) with what you say they do have a point. Especially at the start of the quote:
    We have a Whitehall determined to fight this war as cheaply as possible. That is not cheaply in soldiers lives but in cash terms. Whitehall does not have the commitment, the focus of winning the war; their eye is not on the front line but the budget line. Just my opinion folks.

Edit for Sunday fingers.
  9. I thought al lour leaders are going on Holiday
  11. I feat the 2 Majors, despite being good men, have missed the point and placed the cart before the horse.

They claim that we are "at war" and lacking political leadership in the endeavor.

War is a state entered into, and defined by, the political class. Their policies, strategies and actions demonstrate quite clearly that the UK is not "at war" despite the heavy fighting in Helmand. The UK is conducting a foreign policy "mission" in Afghanistan that requires great sacrifices from the military.
  12. I agree that the government without doubt must get serious about this, and that Afghanistan is viewed as an inconvenient side show. The problem is, it's not a popular war, therefore the government will fear backlash from voters if they commit themselves fully to it, so currently, and from the start, they're there enough to suck up to the yanks, but not committed enough to start the bleeding heart protesters off. The thought that any labour party member believes that the war is to help the afghan people and make Britian safer from terrorism, or that they're even doing all they can to support the troops has honestly never occured to me.
  13. Answer = We aint got any!! -- Nobody to lead with a "fist of iron" anymore (sob) --- Political correctness has seen to that!! :crying: Now i know why they called "The good old days" just that. --- Political correctness = Pussyfication of society!!
  14. I too had wondered what it was we were doing, so good of you to clear it up. Is that also what the Taliban think they're facing - "a foreign policy "mission"" ? Perhaps that's why they're so cross, because we don't have the balls to call it as it is.

Flippancy aside - do we see this as serious an issue and conflict as the US does ? If you look at the proportion of budgetary supplementals relative to the core defence budget in the US by comparison with ours, you would have to conclude not. By this definition you conclude that they are very much nearer confronting this as if it is a war, and we are not - which is why they are doing better at it than we are. Just a thought.....
  15. If Terry is prepared to live in a cave for six years and live off goat meat and barley too, then I'd say he has a somewhat more committed attitude than the UK - at large before I get accused of undermining the boys and girls.

We are "fighting" a war as a nation by the lowest affordable effort we can get away with IMHO. We are merely participating and not dictating tempo. The economy is not on a war footing and neither is society. I cannot see that as a platform for victory.