We’re still a warrior nation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. As my Aussie mates say "you poms like a biff".

With direction our young men are the finest soldiers.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well said that reporter. I like the comment from the black fellah in the states.
  4. I don't think we are a warrior nation. Its just that we can be when called upon.
  5. We were once upon a time, pitch invasions at football, mods and rockers, not that I would remember.
  6. Been called upon so many times now it's easier to accept the 'warrior nation' title.
  7. If we were truly a warrior nation, then our soldiers would have a higher social standing, and be awarded a great deal more respect by Joe public.
  8. In no particular order, some of the things we're best at are:

That does make for great soldiers, but we have to be provoked to give of our best, I feel.
  9. Or given a dozen pints of wifebeater (Stella)!
  10. If you say we are a warrior nation one more time, I will punch you in the nose... 8)

11. Very, very fukcing true.
  12. Don't go getting all fecking american on us, you'll be talking about honour and pride next along with warrior codes..........................
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

During the build up to Exercise Bold Grouse in Denmark in 1987, I went for a drink and a meal with some members of the Danish intelligence service in Copenhagen. I was sitting at an outside table at a restaurant with the Danes and my oppo, who was an RM Captain, when some of the lads from the brigade - out of their minds on Carlsberg Elephant Beer - began to kick off nearby. My oppo and I were wondering whether we should try to calm them down but the Danes thought it was great fun: 'You British are a warrior race!'

This came from a 6'4" blond Viking, talking about a bunch of malnourished-looking Jockanese hoodlums, but I thought then he was absolutely right, and still agree with him.
  14. That was probably one of the best runs ashore ever, exceeding the excesses of even the memorable 1984 "knocking out the edgy copper before he shot some one" run. As a piece of wisdom "Flags of Nations" is a game that should never be played a)in a full-on American Cocktail Bar with about 26 different green drinks b)with the 3 Cdo Bde Air Squadron and c)after a guided tour of the Carlsberg factory. Well, I say guided - it was more a sort of "fire and forget" tour...