waterstones boss not happy with Amazon

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Amazon is discounting us to death | Tim Waterstone | Comment is free | The Guardian

not sure if this qualifies as CA, so I'm posting it here just in case...was having a mooch through the 'comment is free' section of the grauniad (on the basis of 'to better know your enemy, understand how he thinks') and came across this little rant by Waterstone's founder.

So basically, Amazon is bad because they can charge less and dont pay any more tax than they have to...and waterstones are feeling the pinch...I dont remember them apologizing for pricing out lots of independent bookstores when they rose to prominence on the high street...

There will always be winners and losers. A few years ago, when I owned a security company one of our clients called me to a meeting and said that a competitor had offered them a thousand quid a month less than us, for the same service. The client told me that we were being offered the chance to meet the challenge or better it.

I declined and gave them a months notice of curtailment of service.

The new company took over and staffed the site with Chowkidars who didn't speak English and who slept soundly as the thieves did their work. I think our former client lost around 500,000 quid in the end and their insurance company told them they had to pay 50% as their security wasn't adequate and their new security company didn't have indemnity for failure to perform.

Didn't the bookstores whine about supermarkets a few years ago?

Life's a bitch.
How am I supposed to fuel my petrol hungry monster car if I spend too much on books?

Seriously though I'm not here to subsidise a book store.
If they charge more than an online store guess where I'll shop.

B

Biscuits_AB

There will always be winners and losers. A few years ago, when I owned a security company one of our clients called me to a meeting and said that a competitor had offered them a thousand quid a month less than us, for the same service. The client told me that we were being offered the chance to meet the challenge or better it.

I declined and gave them a months notice of curtailment of service.
Far too many wanting everything done on the cheap. "How much would it cost me for you to do this?...How much?..So and so says he can do it for X amount!" "Best you phone him back then."

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think that sums it up quite nicely. Waterstones were quite happy to take the money when they had the chance to.
Spot on - I like to choose where I spend my money. Get it from Amazon and it'll be there in a couple of days and likely to be in a packet that'll fit through your letter box. Waterstone's - limited choice in store and if you're forced to go online it'll usually be delivered to a central sorting office miles away since they don't do standard sizes.

Amazon aren't even doing anything illegal - Winners and losers.

T

Tinman74

Spot on - I like to choose where I spend my money. Get it from Amazon and it'll be there in a couple of days and likely to be in a packet that'll fit through your letter box. Waterstone's - limited choice in store and if you're forced to go online it'll usually be delivered to a central sorting office miles away since they don't do standard sizes.

Amazon aren't even doing illegal - Winners and losers.
Have to agree with you there, I even order from the American site to get early releases on certain authors. Even taking into account the extra postage it's still cheaper than waterstones.

I'll be sad when they go, but like pubs and theatres, they have screwed as much as they can out of the public and now they're on the receiving end are whining like buggery.

Seeing most of the stuff i order is of the non-popular military kind, Amazon beat anyone hands down. Waterstones depend on their staff, a few years ago the military section in Manchester was run by a very clued up guy,a few months after he left,it was one of the worst sections i had seen. Waterstones are getting what they deserve for being wonk.

I love my kindle, but one thing pisses me off about it. Occasionally a book is only available from Amazon UK, and they will not sell to anyone outside of the UK. Which is bullshit in my opinion.
Totally agree.
I've emailed them that e books are available in Amazon.com but not .co.uk

They answer that it's a copyright issue.

Ridiculous when it's a British Author.

Grr.

Waterstone’s needs a much smaller number of physical high street stores. As more gadgets come out to read ebooks on, it will get very difficult to justify an extensive number of High street stores and the costs that come with it.

Totally agree.
I've emailed them that e books are available in Amazon.com but not .co.uk

They answer that it's a copyright issue.

Ridiculous when it's a British Author.

Grr.
Especially ridiculous when they refuse to sell to someone who is willing to pay for said product and not pirate it. This applies to any company selling media.

Errr...a vpn? What'S that when it's at home?
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network. Basically it allows you to fool people like Amazon, the BBC and the lottery into thinking you are in the UK (or basically where ever you want) even though you arn't. The one I use costs 5 squidlets a month, but there are free ones out there.

VPNness

I use Amazon and Waterstone, apart from WH Smith Glasgow lacks any other big brand booksellers. Edinburgh had James Thins and errrr thats it. The rot kicked in over ten years ago, after John Smiths closed up they concentrated on their academic bookshops instead.

Interesting quip regarding tax though, looks like HMRC might do a Rangers on Amazon.................

Good one thing claiming to be based in luxenberg when your selling luxenbergers from luxenberg.
Bit harder to claim that when you have a huge **** off warehouse in milton keynes.

we could always invade its not too far weathers quite nice and luxenberg doesnt have an army Daves victorious short war sorted then :)

Akthough dave would probably attempt to send the navy or **** it up some other way.