waterstones boss not happy with Amazon

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by maguire, Apr 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Amazon is discounting us to death | Tim Waterstone | Comment is free | The Guardian

not sure if this qualifies as CA, so I'm posting it here just in case...was having a mooch through the 'comment is free' section of the grauniad (on the basis of 'to better know your enemy, understand how he thinks') and came across this little rant by Waterstone's founder.

So basically, Amazon is bad because they can charge less and dont pay any more tax than they have to...and waterstones are feeling the pinch...I dont remember them apologizing for pricing out lots of independent bookstores when they rose to prominence on the high street...
    • Like Like x 3
  2. There will always be winners and losers. A few years ago, when I owned a security company one of our clients called me to a meeting and said that a competitor had offered them a thousand quid a month less than us, for the same service. The client told me that we were being offered the chance to meet the challenge or better it.

I declined and gave them a months notice of curtailment of service.

The new company took over and staffed the site with Chowkidars who didn't speak English and who slept soundly as the thieves did their work. I think our former client lost around 500,000 quid in the end and their insurance company told them they had to pay 50% as their security wasn't adequate and their new security company didn't have indemnity for failure to perform.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Didn't the bookstores whine about supermarkets a few years ago?

Life's a bitch.
    How am I supposed to fuel my petrol hungry monster car if I spend too much on books?

Seriously though I'm not here to subsidise a book store.
    If they charge more than an online store guess where I'll shop.
  4. I think that sums it up quite nicely. Waterstones were quite happy to take the money when they had the chance to.
  5. Far too many wanting everything done on the cheap. "How much would it cost me for you to do this?...How much?..So and so says he can do it for X amount!" "Best you phone him back then."
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Get a kindle.

Paper is so twentieth century!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It's all part of the Internet revolution.

Books, games, pubs, the high st, are all dying a death.

You have to move with the times.
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Spot on - I like to choose where I spend my money. Get it from Amazon and it'll be there in a couple of days and likely to be in a packet that'll fit through your letter box. Waterstone's - limited choice in store and if you're forced to go online it'll usually be delivered to a central sorting office miles away since they don't do standard sizes.

Amazon aren't even doing anything illegal - Winners and losers.
  9. Have to agree with you there, I even order from the American site to get early releases on certain authors. Even taking into account the extra postage it's still cheaper than waterstones.
  10. I'll be sad when they go, but like pubs and theatres, they have screwed as much as they can out of the public and now they're on the receiving end are whining like buggery.
  11. Seeing most of the stuff i order is of the non-popular military kind, Amazon beat anyone hands down. Waterstones depend on their staff, a few years ago the military section in Manchester was run by a very clued up guy,a few months after he left,it was one of the worst sections i had seen. Waterstones are getting what they deserve for being wonk.
  12. I love my kindle, but one thing pisses me off about it. Occasionally a book is only available from Amazon UK, and they will not sell to anyone outside of the UK. Which is bullshit in my opinion.
  13. Totally agree.
    I've emailed them that e books are available in Amazon.com but not .co.uk

They answer that it's a copyright issue.

Ridiculous when it's a British Author.

14. Good, that means you can't get it...hahahahahahaha

Seriously though, just use a vpn.
  15. Errr...a vpn? What'S that when it's at home?