Waterproofing a canvas hood.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by jagman, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a bout of Ebay childishness I've bought myself a 1983 Land Rover Series III 3/4 ton FFR.
    Generally in reasonable nick but the hood leaks like a sieve, nor rips or tears but its a tad damp in there when it rains.

Any advice on the best option to re-waterproof it? Its the original canvas type rather than the more modern offerings.

2. A caravan awning waterproofing agent would be best, Nikwax do one i believe. Most caravan/camping shops will do them.

3. Remember to check which distributor you have. The Series III used a Ducellier for about 2 years. It has a carbon rod that may shatter when you most need it :(

4. Cheers fellas, never thought of caravan awning stuff. Didn't want to spend a grand on individual tins designed for sorting your raincoat out!
    Had a Series II's and III's before but never a canvas topped one and fancied it for summer (assuming we get a summer!)

5. It's had the screened 24 volt one replaced, not sure what variety the new on is. I don't recognise it. I've a spare in the garage if neds be but these things do tend to fail many miles from the nearest road :D

Not to worried about it mechanicaly tbh, its got a documented 72000km on it and a service history post release. No rust anywhere either!

6. It's a miracle! Any mice living in the chassis?

7. Nope no mice either :)
    The paint is terrible and it has the odd ding here and there but its pretty good really, for an old boneshaker

8. I use this to waterproof Gazebos, Fishing Bivi's :

Thompsons Waterseal

I apply it with one of those cheapo pump spray guns, give it a couple of coats, it stinks a bit when its first done but lasts as a waterproofing agent for around 2 years (thats based on a gazebo thats been up for 2 yeras as a smoking shelter in our garden!)