Waterproof jackets and trousers

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by rallymad_nad, Feb 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been looking at purchasing a set of these but am confused as to which type to buy. I seem to be finding that on the trousers, they are either elasticated bottoms or velcro closure. Is one made from Goretex and the other not? Also for the jackets, some come with two pockets, others with just the stom flap an access slot to get at a jacket underneath? Are some items not issue gear?

An example of the trousers.

If anyone has any links to the genuine item I would be very grateful. Dont want to go buying something that turns out to be crap.

2. The ones I was issued have no pockets (just that flap thing) as it's designed as a liner, and the trousers have elasticated bottoms.
  3. The goretex one is issue the other one old issue (80's i think) is not goretex hence sweat building up and becoming wet and cold.

Go for goretex evertime the others rustle like a crisp packet as well
  4. The original issue Gortex was heavier and in the style of the RM Windproof wire hood, rank slide but without the bottom pockets. The later issue had the big buttons the first version had velcro pockets. The trousers did up with a tie and had zips at the bottom and velcro fastening.
    The new version is lighter in weight has no pockets but a zip to access inner right chest pockets of your smock underneath and storm flap. The trousers are elasticated top and bottom. Having used both, they both have advantages and disadvantages former seemed more hardwearing and the pockets were a bonus the the latter is more compact - depends on your preference. If its gortex its waterproof go for budget or features that suit you.
    Hope this helps
  5. Once saw in a surplus shop a pair of goretex overtrousers, they werent the old goretex they were like the 95 goretex but much lighter material. Had a red label which said trials kit. Probably dropped because they were so thin they looked like they'd rip or wear out at the slightest excuse...
  6. Seen the old ones for sale on a scooter rally for £30 a set!!! avoid those sound like your wresting in tin foli and gives you sweaty bollocks trousers are a twat to get off as well used to have to sit down and get someone to yank them off
  7. Go with the issue 95s they are good kit. If they had some pockets then they'd be great kit...
  8. Thanks for the info. I'll go for the lightweight elasticated ones, get some spare material and seam tape and add some pockets/access zips in etc.

9. I've got a buckshee issue goretex jacket that you can have for a few quid, PM me if you're interested.
  10. If you want a good set of waterproof tousers, speak to Arktis they make ripstop waterproof lined trousers, very good but about £55.00 a pair!
  11. Why actually buy kit you get issued?