Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterproof Jacket Recommendations

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I actually take the view that unless you're snurgling about then muted colours make no sense. Better from a safety perspective to be seen.
If someone's stuffed up enough to call out the MRT there's no point in hiding from them.
They'll find you for a kicking eventually..

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Bright dayglo colours are strictly for wandering around Ambleside ;)
Oh, there's no need to go that far. My Mountain Equipment jacket is two-tone blue. I've a green Musto for the trudge to the local pub.

But being DPMed or MTPed to the max for a stroll up one side of Windermere and then the trip back down on the steamer to Bowness would be a tad ridiculous.

Oh, there's no need to go that far. My Mountain Equipment jacket is two-tone blue. I've a green Musto for the trudge to the local pub.

But being DPMed or MTPed to the max for a stroll up one side of Windermere and then the trip back down on the steamer to Bowness would be a tad ridiculous.
Sadly de rigour for lots of wannabees round my way.

Sadly de rigour for lots of wannabees round my way.

Not so much here, which surprised me initially, they tend to wear hunting camo though. Tree bark pattern and also the kryptek patterns seem very popular with most. Stupid really as out in the ulu you might be mistaken for some creature pushing through the undergrowth by a rough shooter and inadvertantly end up on his trophy rack.

wheel

LE

No camouflage kit for me but I do prefer muted colours. But then again I do carry a bright orange dayglo emergency shelter. Two torches and a flashing red light on the top of my rucksack. Obviously only switched on if required.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Not so much here, which surprised me initially, they tend to wear hunting camo though. Tree bark pattern and also the kryptek patterns seem very popular with most. Stupid really as out in the ulu you might be mistaken for some creature pushing through the undergrowth by a rough shooter and inadvertantly end up on his trophy rack.
Quite. The only time to not be seen is when you really don't want to be seen.

It's a lot less dramatic than getting shot. It's being injured and not being seen.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
No camouflage kit for me but I do prefer muted colours. But then again I do carry a bright orange dayglo emergency shelter. Two torches and a flashing red light on the top of my rucksack. Obviously only switched on if required.
To be fair, the pub I trudge to is all Hunters and Barbours. I wear the Musto because it fits. Out on the hills, though, it's the bright blue thing and a red backpack.

Quite. The only time to not be seen is when you really don't want to be seen.

It's a lot less dramatic than getting shot. It's being injured and not being seen.

Exactly. Friend of mine in Germany is like a bloody mountain goat, to the extent that he uses the online name of Vertical Crawler. He did every mountain course the Bundeswehr had to offer and could be found somewhere up an Alp most weekends - even doing that thing where they bang in a couple of pitons and make their bivvy half way up a vertical face.

Anyway, he is probably the most qualified and experienced climber/outdoors person I know. Unless he is working and dressed in camo he wears the brightest clothing and gear he can and also carrys a couple of the dayglo air recognition panels just in case it does go pear shaped.

Oh, and he loves top end Rab gear.

”mossy oak” I think. De rigeur in Academy Sports.

”mossy oak” I think. De rigeur in Academy Sports.

Washed and pressed that is the Sunday best camo for the trailer park dwelling rednecks.:)

Latest Threads