Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterproof Jacket Recommendations

wheel

LE
Thread resurrection:

Any chance of an update mate?

In the market for a new waterproof as my 5 year old Mountain Equipment Polartec neoshell is not performing as it once did in hard rain. I'll probably prefer Gortex this time round, as I want to stay dry when on long walks.

So hit me with your recommendation

TIAo
Update, I have now had the Alpkit Argonaut for 22 months and its not let me down yet. This weekend has seen constant rain in the Peak District from hammering it down with gusting winds to the fine stuff that gets you really wet ;) . It has been quite mild so I only wore a Hi Gear base layer underneath. It has kept me totally dry although with it being so thin it sometimes feels like it has leaked. This would probably not be noticeable if more layers were being worn. I am really pleased with the performance of this lightweight jacket.

morsk

LE
I wear a Keela for work and a Hagelofs at home. Both are excellent

Read on I went with Alpkit, I have a montane soft shell TBH not very impressed with it.

I have yet to see any soft shell that impresses me. It was a cool-sounding concept invented by manufacturers but apart from looking cool they're only really good as wind or casual jackets. No real protection against rain or cold.

I have yet to see any soft shell that impresses me. It was a cool-sounding concept invented by manufacturers but apart from looking cool they're only really good as wind or casual jackets. No real protection against rain or cold.

Used one of these all the way through MRT Training, as an outer shell for skiing/touring/mountaineering (base layer and thin fleece beneath) in some proper cold stuff, every day use and no word of a lie, looks as if I bought it yesterday (5 years old now) - you will get wet if it's a prolonged downpour, but if you're wearing the right layers below, you'll still be comfortable.

Obviously look after it and keep it properly washed & treated. Which reminds me I'll do it again soon for this winter.

Used one of these all the way through MRT Training, as an outer shell for skiing/touring/mountaineering (base layer and thin fleece beneath) in some proper cold stuff, every day use and no word of a lie, looks as if I bought it yesterday (5 years old now) - you will get wet if it's a prolonged downpour, but if you're wearing the right layers below, you'll still be comfortable.

Obviously look after it and keep it properly washed & treated. Which reminds me I'll do it again soon for this winter.
It would need to, that stuff isn't cheap unless you're a friend of 'them' (as opposed to Dorothy).

Update, I have now had the Alpkit Argonaut for 22 months and its not let me down yet. This weekend has seen constant rain in the Peak District from hammering it down with gusting winds to the fine stuff that gets you really wet ;) . It has been quite mild so I only wore a Hi Gear base layer underneath. It has kept me totally dry although with it being so thin it sometimes feels like it has leaked. This would probably not be noticeable if more layers were being worn. I am really pleased with the performance of this lightweight jacket.

Having purchased many items from Alpkit I have never failed to be impressed by the pricing, quality and customer services. They are a company I frequently recommend and have emerged had a bad item or bad purchasing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a cheap bugger, Black Friday seemed the perfect time to buy myself a new winter jacket from Amazon. Of course, a lot of the top brands aren't available. The only two I recognise are Mountain Warehouse and Helly Hansen.

Not much between them in price. Does anyone have a preference between the two?

Being a cheap bugger, Black Friday seemed the perfect time to buy myself a new winter jacket from Amazon. Of course, a lot of the top brands aren't available. The only two I recognise are Mountain Warehouse and Helly Hansen.

Not much between them in price. Does anyone have a preference between the two?
No - both shit.

HTH.

Bit harsh maybe, but Mountain Warehouse is for rambling OAPs and I've not seen a decent bit of HH kit for years other than the odd T-Shirt.

What do you want it to do? Warm, windproof, waterproof, active, belay (static), packable, wear down the pub etc...?

I'm not a brand snob, happy to go economy where possible, but if there's a performance element required, there's a reason why some brands stand up.

Bit harsh maybe, but Mountain Warehouse is for rambling OAPs and I've not seen a decent bit of HH kit for years other than the odd T-Shirt.

What do you want it to do? Warm, windproof, waterproof, active, belay (static), packable, wear down the pub etc...?

I'm not a brand snob, happy to go economy where possible, but if there's a performance element required, there's a reason why some brands stand up.

Just looking for something that's warm and waterproof to wear while walking to work or around town during winter. While I am a cheap bugger, I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that does the job and will last a few years.

Just looking for something that's warm and waterproof to wear while walking to work or around town during winter. While I am a cheap bugger, I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that does the job and will last a few years.
To be fair, if that's the only use then those mentioned could be OK.

D

Deleted 172264

I use a Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket. Expensive, but a Brit company, top quality, best materials, light weight, excellent fit, great features. Will last for years.

TamH70

MIA

I bought a Mountain Warehouse jacket a couple of weeks ago and I rate it rather highly for what I paid. It's waterproof, looks not too bad, and has a copious amount of pockets. Since I'm a pocket fiend, I'm extremely happy with that.

wheel

LE
I use a Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket. Expensive, but a Brit company, top quality, best materials, light weight, excellent fit, great features. Will last for years.
Agree Mountain Equipment kit is very good, my wife has a preference for their kit and she can find fault with anything
@Werewolf top tip if you go with the Mountain Warehouse jacket stay off the hills. Their stuff is cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
Over the years I've tried and seen many rambling jackets and IMO they're all much of a muchness. Buffalo & Ridgeline are the only two brands which consistently ooze quality.

Try >>>

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Currently using a Mountain Equipment Saltoro and base/mid layers of merino from various people (it's nice to not stink after a while). For insulation when needed, I'm using a thin Rab quilted gilet.

It's really working well as a combination.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Montane's kit is IMHO absolutely outstanding. I have waterproof jacket that's breathable enough to run in on a wet day that I've also worn as a top layer in the mountains in winter. And it's lasted 10+ years. It used to pricy but seems more reasonable these days. They don't reall do tactical/ally colours. Otherwise, they're the dogs family jewelry.
Green and black are so last year.

Latest Threads