Discussion in 'Sappers' started by sirbhp, Nov 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Does anyone know what the sappers were up to during the battle of Waterloo? cheers troops.
  2. On the piss I suppose
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Drinking and playing Freckles probably ;-)
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Building a Bar - it's the first thing Sappers do, on arriving anywhere.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

The story goes that at Quatre Bras, the day before Waterloo, Wellington turns to his staff officers and says: “I need a map, get me a map of the area". So this young staff officer goes galloping off to Brussels to the Royal Engineers depot where he meets a Major Oldfield of the Corps who doesn’t have a map of Quatre Bras but has several maps of nearby. So they hastily paste them all together and the young staff officer goes galloping back to Wellington.
    That is it.
  6. Waterloo, not Trafalgar! Lord help us!
  7. He was at Trafalgar too.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Brewing tea and working their way through the scrot of Waterloo while the infantry got on with the job...
  9. Probably trying to teach some ***** how to play euka.
  10. So we were incharge of the sellotape were we?

I heard mention of a farmhouse (Hougoumont).
    I have no doubt the Sappers would have been making merry with vin and goosing the farmers wife/daughter/dog.*
    *Delete as inappropriate.
  11. There where certainly Royal Engineers Officers on the Staff at Waterloo, yet I believe that there where no formed companies of Royal Sappers & Miners present as they remained in the Netherlands manning the Frontier posts and fortresses. However, they moved with the Army to Paris after the battle To perform 'domiciliary' duties.

However, I wasn't there so I am just guessing ^~
  12. The clue is in the title we did the water supply and the loo and ran the trains simples.:party:

13. moi???? neggars cheggars, i was defeated, you won the war.