• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

waterloo

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
waterloo.jpg
The story goes that at Quatre Bras, the day before Waterloo, Wellington turns to his staff officers and says: “I need a map, get me a map of the area". So this young staff officer goes galloping off to Brussels to the Royal Engineers depot where he meets a Major Oldfield of the Corps who doesn’t have a map of Quatre Bras but has several maps of nearby. So they hastily paste them all together and the young staff officer goes galloping back to Wellington.
That is it.

Cheeky bastards, the glorious Corps used to dig tunnels underneath the enemy ships and detonate large explosives underneath them.

It was a risky task as the other side inevitably were doing the same and the water tunnels often passed very close to one another, so they had to be very quiet.

And it was the most dangerous job in the battle as the tunnels had a tendency to collapse in on the sappers whilst they were digging.

Gawd bless em'...
Waterloo, not Trafalgar! Lord help us!

View attachment 96948
The story goes that at Quatre Bras, the day before Waterloo, Wellington turns to his staff officers and says: “I need a map, get me a map of the area". So this young staff officer goes galloping off to Brussels to the Royal Engineers depot where he meets a Major Oldfield of the Corps who doesn’t have a map of Quatre Bras but has several maps of nearby. So they hastily paste them all together and the young staff officer goes galloping back to Wellington.
That is it.
So we were incharge of the sellotape were we?

I heard mention of a farmhouse (Hougoumont).
I have no doubt the Sappers would have been making merry with vin and goosing the farmers wife/daughter/dog.*
*Delete as inappropriate.

There where certainly Royal Engineers Officers on the Staff at Waterloo, yet I believe that there where no formed companies of Royal Sappers & Miners present as they remained in the Netherlands manning the Frontier posts and fortresses. However, they moved with the Army to Paris after the battle To perform 'domiciliary' duties.

However, I wasn't there so I am just guessing ^~

Latest Threads