Waterloo 1815

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
It,s 194years today that the Iron Duke sent Bonaparte home to think again, How we could do with a leader like him now.

I saw the title and thought we were going on a mystery train ride :D

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
StickyEnd said:
Pararegtom said:
It,s 194years today that the Iron Duke sent Bonaparte home to think again, How we could do with a leader like him now.
Why? Do you not think Gordon Brown is better?

Take your medication!!!

StickyEnd said:
Pararegtom said:
Than Napoleon or Wellington?

chocolate_frog said:
StickyEnd said:
Pararegtom said:
BLUCHER, the real hero of Waterloo

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
tropper66 said:
chocolate_frog said:
StickyEnd said:
Pararegtom said:

Bollox! It was Sharpe. Do you not know your history? :D

If our present Dear Leader resembles any of the great men of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars it is surely Tsar Paul I. Delusional, autocratic even by Russian standards, sacked half his generals for not embracing his vision of a return in military values and practices to the good old Middle Ages, had more than the odd issue about his parents, and was generally regarded as a mad pygmy on the world stage.

He ended up assassinated by a bunch of chaps he had sacked...

Yeah, somehow Blucher was the real hero after spending all day marching whilst Wellington was meeting the French main effort head on...but Ze Prussians won it, no really...

Bradstyley said:
Yeah, somehow Blucher was the real hero after spending all day marching whilst Wellington was meeting the French main effort head on...but Ze Prussians won it, no really...
Fair play to the bloke, it's doubtful if the British could have met another concerted push by the French without being driven back on the coast. If Napoleon had managed to split the Allies, he might have been able to force a negotiated peace - in any event, the campaign would have dragged out far longer.

Blucher was a bit of a card and his ability to keep command after being ridden over by cavalry and still force an unwilling staff to march to the aid of Wellington show a fair amount of character. In the end, it was a combined effort that won the day.

Michael Bentine's Potty Time re-enactment of the battle of Waterloo has to be the all time best.

It caused a bit of a stir at the time IIRC as Blucher's arrival was shown using miniature Panzer tanks.

tropper66 said:
chocolate_frog said:
StickyEnd said:
Pararegtom said:
And he had an invisable elephant as a friend

smartascarrots said:
Bradstyley said:
Fair play to the bloke, it's doubtful if the British could have met another concerted push by the French without being driven back on the coast. If Napoleon had managed to split the Allies, he might have been able to force a negotiated peace - in any event, the campaign would have dragged out far longer.

Blucher was a bit of a card and his ability to keep command after being ridden over by cavalry and still force an unwilling staff to march to the aid of Wellington show a fair amount of character. In the end, it was a combined effort that won the day.
As Wellington himeself said after the battle; "It was a damned close-run thing."

IIRC, Blucher was about 70 at Waterloo. There's a wonderful scene in the movie when Boney(Rod Stieger)gets the news that the Prussian Ulans have been sighted...

"I made one mistake in my life - I should have burned Berlin!" :twisted:

smartascarrots said:
Bradstyley said:

Might, What if, But if, might might might .... What if Everton had scored 3 goals in the first half of the F.A. Cup they might have gone on to win the bugger :wink:

Wellington won, the Froggies lost... End Of... and we will NEVER let them forget it :D

By the way "Waterloo the Companion" by Mark Adkin is an absolute must have for anyone interested in the Battle of Waterloo, it details the 100 days from Napoleon's escape from Elba to the main Battles, the Command & Control structure of the book is brilliant detailing all 3 Commanders Armies.

joey_deacons_lad said:
Did i ever tell you that in a past life i was the second man through the gate at Hougoumont right behind Lt Legros or "Legs" as we used to call him in the Regiment
See you and raise - in a Previous Incarnation, I charged with the Knights Templar at Bannockburn! :D 8)