Waterboarding outlawed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mac1, Dec 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are some things the public should never find out about, this is one of them.

You cannot publicly say it's OK as you'd loose the moral high ground and in a way legitimises (sp?) torture by terrorists.

My personal view is that if something can save the lives of those "on your side" then maybe it should be allowed.

2. you don't think its a bit late for that then?

3. I think that infantry recruits should be treated fairly.

4. yes, that it happens should never have become public.

5. Oh, well if the House has banned it, it'll definately stop. :roll:

6. Don't be too quick off the mark on this one.

So, in reverse order, here's the answer:

"On March 2, 1972 the Prime Minister Edward Heath stated in the House of Commons that the techniques would not be used in future as an aid to interrogation"

Work the question out for yourself. MK

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

It was still being used for erring POs in the late 80s 8O :D

8. There are a lot of things that go on that should never see the light of day. It depends on how quickly one needs the information. It is a fact that the most effective interrogators during the last unpleasantness were K.C.s and they didn't resort to physical means.

9. K.C.s?

10. KC = King's Counsel (Barristers).

11. ah, right. Thx

12. In my book an even bigger problem than the moral concerns about waterboarding and associated techniques is that the information gained from them is deeply suspect. Look at the case of Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libbi, who was waterboarded and then produced the totally false information about Saddam's collaboration with Bin-Laden that Colin Powell trumpeted at the UN. When being tortured people will say anything to make it stop.

13. What a lot of high minded twaddle from people that are never exposed to risk

14. Its not law yet. The Senate has to act and I doubt either body has the votes to override a Bush veto.