Water Wars

Grim and unfortunately a taste of things to come
Cape Town recently had a similar problem, but dealt with it. I suspect that Chennai doesn't have the discipline, infrastructure or governance to do so.
Cape Town dodged the bullet. Sooner or later a major conurbation won't. Then the full scale of the issue will become obvious.

I see the main problem here.
More people than the planet can sustain, ditto the 'climate emergency' nonsense.
We need a cull.
Happy to help.

I see the main problem here.
More people than the planet can sustain, ditto the 'climate emergency' nonsense.
We need a cull.
Happy to help.
I don't really think there are enough climate change deniers that culling them would make a big enough dent in the population.

I don't really think there are enough climate change deniers that culling them would make a big enough dent in the population.
I don't disagree, the climate has been changeing since we crawled out of a rockpool.
It's a money making scam these days, no one like to mention that there are too many non-productive mouths to feed as it's not a big vote winner.
When you are mature enough, to talk about the biggest problem we face, overpopulation, then I will listen.
Nah, fcuk it, I've no interest in your witterings.

I don't disagree, the climate has been changeing since we crawled out of a rockpool.
It's a money making scam these days, no one like to mention that there are too many non-productive mouths to feed as it's not a big vote winner.
When you are mature enough, to talk about the biggest problem we face, overpopulation, then I will listen.
Nah, fcuk it, I've no interest in your witterings.
So many of the "discussions" about overpopulation suddenly seem to migrate to "Enough of Us. Too many of Them".
Which then turns into a figleaf for casual mindless racism and xenophobia.
I can tell you the one proven cure for overpopulation.
Prosperity.
Those nations that have seen population crashes and an ageing demographic are rich, old industrial nations. Those developing nations that have decent governance, rule of law etc have a declining birthrate.

The places that have ballooning birthrates are third world hellholes.
Overpopulation is a SYMPTOM of a wider issue- bad government.
The overpopulation then causes more problems.

Sorry, but my "witterings" have evidence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/incone_and_fertility

So many of the "discussions" about overpopulation suddenly seem to migrate to "Enough of Us. Too many of Them".
Which then turns into a figleaf for casual mindless racism and xenophobia.
I can tell you the one proven cure for overpopulation.
Prosperity.
Those nations that have seen population crashes and an ageing demographic are rich, old industrial nations. Those developing nations that have decent governance, rule of law etc have a declining birthrate.

The places that have ballooning birthrates are third world hellholes.
Overpopulation is a SYMPTOM of a wider issue- bad government.
The overpopulation then causes more problems.

Sorry, but my "witterings" have evidence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/incone_and_fertility
Based on current information, global population will be stabilized before the climate is. As you said, the former has known solutions (including education for women) and measures are being taken, as they have for decades now, to address it. The solution to overpopulation is free trade, international investment, and forward looking economic development.

The latter problem (climate) is however the more difficult one, since the incentives to deal with it are not in the direct short to medium term financial interests of anyone who has the decision making power to deal with it. The major gains so far in dealing with the problem have been largely due to the unintended side effect of improvements in gas turbine electric generating technology when combined with fracking and/or LNG. Future gains will to a great extent likely depend upon improvements in nuclear technology combined with improved electric cars, with the latter taking over when they become cheaper and easier to operate than internal combustion engines (which when you look at the underlying technology seems likely).

If we look at regions which suffer from serious long term water crises today, it doesn't seem to lead to any sort of "cull" in the population. Instead it seems to lead to civil and regional war accompanied by refugees headed towards Europe.

Millions of lives at risk in India as water crisis continues | Metro News

Google water shortage India for more info.

An 'oh,sh*t moment'?
Let's face it though if one place on the planet has been over breeding and over populating it has definitely got to be India. Their own government has been on at them since the 60's to stop breeding, offering free of charge vasectomy's in pop-in booth's at railway and bus stations even back then.

Though the amount of crap, refuse and dead bodies they throw into the Ganges and other rivers I am surprised there is any drinkable water at all.

Based on current information, global population will be stabilized before the climate is. As you said, the former has known solutions (including education for women) and measures are being taken, as they have for decades now, to address it. The solution to overpopulation is free trade, international investment, and forward looking economic development.

The latter problem (climate) is however the more difficult one, since the incentives to deal with it are not in the direct short to medium term financial interests of anyone who has the decision making power to deal with it. The major gains so far in dealing with the problem have been largely due to the unintended side effect of improvements in gas turbine electric generating technology when combined with fracking and/or LNG. Future gains will to a great extent likely depend upon improvements in nuclear technology combined with improved electric cars, with the latter taking over when they become cheaper and easier to operate than internal combustion engines (which when you look at the underlying technology seems likely).

If we look at regions which suffer from serious long term water crises today, it doesn't seem to lead to any sort of "cull" in the population. Instead it seems to lead to civil and regional war accompanied by refugees headed towards Europe.
There is a significant "flash to bang" time in climate. Excepting catastrophic cooling events, such as volcanoes,humanity has been pumping CO2, methane and other GHG into the atmosphere, at the same time as we have been compromising the carbon sinks of the rainforests.

The climate is elastic, to an extent, but as a species we have been pushing the envelope.

The recent trend is too more frequent, more severe weather events. No one batted an eye when Iran flooded, but today Russia was hit. Lake Baikal flooded, Moscow airport underwater..
If you wait long enough, you will see deniers washing away in the floodwater.

Latest Threads