Water Wars

I seem to recall this was expected, along with European glaciers.
Glacier water is interesting stuff. iirc Some of it contains particles of rock which should be removed before drinking.
Glaciers are in general retreat world wide.
Some of this is natural, as we are exiting an Ice Age, but the rate of change is alarming, especially as many cities rely on glacial meltwater. South America is particularly vulnerable.

Iran has a serious flooding problem. On top of degraded landscapes, a large number of dams are at risk of overspill. Many of these were built by the Revolutionary Guard as pork barrel projects, so they are probably badly placed.
Iran floods: death toll continues to rise

Last edited:
A slightly different problem is the Baltic and the coastal erosion, at least in Germany.
In 2015 we had a holiday in Kägsdorf on the Baltic coast in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, this year we went to the next town along the coast and while attempting to walk on the coastal path to Kägsdorf we came to a grinding halt after around 8ks. The tarmacked path had simply disappeared, washed away by the spring storms. Erosion is nothing new really, but so much in such a short time is unusual, the rate of erosion varies from place to place, somewhere between 10 to 30cms a year and no end in sight. The only good news is that the sand and soil are washed round the corner and deposited as a new beach elsewhere. However that's no use to the farmer who has lost arable land.
Meanwhile in the North Sea and in particular the island of Sylt, much favoured by the rich and famous, erosion and the methods to combat it have reached alarming and ridiculous levels. The whole island is sand, not exactly the most stable substance. So when the spring storms casually carry of a million tons or two of sand the State government spends millions filling the gaps with more sand, which gets washed away in the next storm.
And the storms are getting worse. Quit while you're ahead maybe?

A slightly different problem is the Baltic and the coastal erosion, at least in Germany.
In 2015 we had a holiday in Kägsdorf on the Baltic coast in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, this year we went to the next town along the coast and while attempting to walk on the coastal path to Kägsdorf we came to a grinding halt after around 8ks. The tarmacked path had simply disappeared, washed away by the spring storms. Erosion is nothing new really, but so much in such a short time is unusual, the rate of erosion varies from place to place, somewhere between 10 to 30cms a year and no end in sight. The only good news is that the sand and soil are washed round the corner and deposited as a new beach elsewhere. However that's no use to the farmer who has lost arable land.
Meanwhile in the North Sea and in particular the island of Sylt, much favoured by the rich and famous, erosion and the methods to combat it have reached alarming and ridiculous levels. The whole island is sand, not exactly the most stable substance. So when the spring storms casually carry of a million tons or two of sand the State government spends millions filling the gaps with more sand, which gets washed away in the next storm.
And the storms are getting worse. Quit while you're ahead maybe?
Two issues there. Rising sea levels courtesy of melting ice caps, and more energetic weather systems caused by warmer atmosphere, and warmer seas.

Of course, none of this is at all related to climate change.

The solution (short of reversing climate change) is going to be either very expensive chucking taxpayers money into remediation works, OR accepting a lot of this is going to happen anyway, and spend that money on adaptation and resilience.

The problem for that is that it is long term, unsexy, and will involve writing off a lot of expensive property, which will be politically sensitive.

There is extensive flooding going on now in eastern Canada, particularly Ottawa, Montreal, and New Brunswick. It seems to be the year for it.

I knew it wasn't the beer that made me grow tits.
ETA well maybe some of it was.
Man Boobs, Breast Cancer, and Plastics - Rob Brown, MD
Also other things such as antimony. www.cbc.ca/news/plastic-bottles-leach-chemicals-into-water-study-1.605134
The longer water is stored in plastic bottles, the higher the concentration of a potentially harmful chemical, a new study suggests.

The research, by a Canadian scientist now working in Germany, involved 132 brands of bottled water from 28 countries produced in containers made from polyethylene terephthalate, or PET. About 20 brands came from Canada.

In a paper to be published early next year, William Shotyk of the University of Heidelberg found that the concentration of certain chemicals, such as antimony, increases the longer the water sits in the plastic bottle. Shotyk's study measured concentrations for a period of up to six months.

"It's increasing over time because [the plastic] is leaching chemicals," said Shotyk in an interview during a recent visit to Ottawa, where he lectured on his findings.
(...)

Antimony and Cleopatra - I knew that antimony was a toxic material used by Egyptian women for make up but wasn't aware of it leaching from PET bottles. Not good. Although I reuse plastic bottles I give them a good rinse first, after a while they go for recycling. Aluminium bottles are very common and I did wonder about them though they may be anodised to prevent oxidisation? What about the 58 water bottle? I think that's a different plastic. Food grade ABS?

Antimony and Cleopatra - I knew that antimony was a toxic material used by Egyptian women for make up but wasn't aware of it leaching from PET bottles. Not good. Although I reuse plastic bottles I give them a good rinse first, after a while they go for recycling. Aluminium bottles are very common and I did wonder about them though they may be anodised to prevent oxidisation? What about the 58 water bottle? I think that's a different plastic. Food grade ABS?
The plastic bottles are fine, so long as you don't leave the same water in them for several months. This of course goes back to the post commenting on bottled water having an expiry date.

If you keep a stock of bottled water for emergencies, then change the water in them every few months.

Latest Threads