Water Wars

Contingency planning for potential transport problems (not one of our usual themes) caused by water issues in Boxheedia...

Germany's Rhine low water contingency planning

It edged towards not being an excercise but didnt quite make it apparently.

RWE who are currently operating Europes biggest open cast mine, at least until around 2038, want to flood it to form a lake when they finish digging there. Great idea, but where's the water going to come from? The Rhine, given the current state of affairs with very low water levels in summer, and reduced spring flooding from the upper Rhine, that should be a rather long drawn out affair. A bit like Berlins new airport, should it ever happen.
Wouldn't the pit fill itself from groundwater and rain if they simply stopped pumping it out?

Wouldn't the pit fill itself from groundwater and rain if they simply stopped pumping it out?
Apparently that would take forever and a day, that hole is huge and around 200 mtrs deep in places. Also rain is the one thing that we either don't have enough of, or in some localised places far too much. Round here 2018 was too dry and 2019 has been no better. The ground is drying out to a depth of more than one mtr. That alone will take months of rain to fix.

Terrorism exploring environmental collapse.

The UN have papers on this. They call it hydro-political issues I shit you not.

The 5 most likely hotspots identified are areas of the Nile, Ganges-Brahmaputra, Indus, Tigris-Euphrates, and Colorado rivers.

Disputes over water tend to start small and local- But like any minor civil unrest in the Middle East, for instance, it can quickly mushroom.
I might start bulk buying bottles of Buxton!
Obviously trying to create your own hotspot with XR.

Take your own reuseable bottle to Buxton... drive there in a big diesel truck.

The USA and Canada could have increased need for water soon if they continue fracking, Lots of folks over there use wells for their water, it doesnt take a genius to work out how long before Crap in = Crap out . All those fracking solutions are toxic and they are pumping away and (according to this video ) its started to contaminate the water tables.

Fracking Video

The USA and Canada could have increased need for water soon if they continue fracking, Lots of folks over there use wells for their water, it doesnt take a genius to work out how long before Crap in = Crap out . All those fracking solutions are toxic and they are pumping away and (according to this video ) its started to contaminate the water tables.

Fracking Video
They've been drilling deeper and deeper as the years go by. Those aquifers take time to replenish. Strangely, there are aquifers in places where you wouldn't think there's any water at all (half of the Sahara) and at enormous depths too. (This might have been referenced earlier on in the thread but sod the searching).

One from the Tom Clancy end of the spectrum...

There are fresh water tunnels under the Suez Canal. They are used to irrigate land bordering the east side of the canal. There's nothing secret about it.

Good thing, MI has one of the largest number of lakes and fresh water supplies.
Which is shared by around six other States and one other country.

Which is shared by around six other States and one other country.
And how does that make it less resourceful? If you're talking about Lake MI.

There are a zillion other interior lakes inside MI, not shared by anyone. Hence the license plates say this:

We have one of the biggest amount of lakes, rivers etc. of any state in the continental U.S.

We have one of the biggest amount of lakes, rivers etc. of any state in the continental U.S.
What do you mean "we"? Are you claiming to be from Michigan now? Besides as usual you are wrong, The State with the most lakes and water is Alaska which has just over three Million lakes.

That number doesn't include rivers and other waterways, Alaska has 12,000 rivers.

There are a zillion other interior lakes inside MI, not shared by anyone. Hence the license plates say this:

That license plate doesn't just refer to the water resources, it refers to all of Michigan's natural resources. I believe the plate that refers to the lakes was the old blue one that had "Great Lakes" on the bottom of the plate. I remember them well as I had on on the very first vehicle I bought over here.

What do you mean "we"? Are you claiming to be from Michigan now? Besides as usual you are wrong, The State with the most lakes and water is Alaska which has just over three Million lakes.

That number doesn't include rivers and other waterways, Alaska has 12,000 rivers.
I spent most of my adult life in MI and Unis, so do associate with that place. You gotta problem? Yes, I've lived in multiple places but it's called a modern world.

I spent most of my adult life in MI and Unis, so do associate with that place. You gotta problem? Yes, I've lived in multiple places but it's called a modern world.
You're a liar! You're about as much American as I am English. As for having a problem, nah not from a w@nker like you. And as usual you were wrong about Michigan and how much water it has because you know nothing really about the State because you've never lived there.

"Capetonians said lessons learnt from the Day Zero scare is that you can reduce water usage and still live a clean, healthy and comfortable life. "

My Uk-based brother has taken this to heart since his last visit.
The local council have sent folk round to fix his faulty meter, cos there's no way he's using so little water.

Latest Threads