"Water Wars" loom? But none in past 4,500 years

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=newsOne&storyID=2006-09-18T024310Z_01_L28197531_RTRUKOC_0_US-ENVIRONMENT-WATER.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C2-TopNews-newsOne-9

2. mmmm but lets take some current examples; what about when somebody like say China damns the top half of the Mekong and says fcuk you to all minor Countries down stream. Or the US insisting that the Rio Grande is theirs because thats where it starts. Turkey v's Syria or the river Jordons fate, I do not predict 'co-operation' here.

Professor Aaron Wolf is evidently a nice man who would make a good neighbour but he seems to know little of the world.

3. There is a precendent, actually relatively recently, I'll try and dig it up. After all, if the Russians can stop the gas, a relative Third World country can gain power with its more prosperous neighbours by withholding a similar natural resource :(

4. It's also one of the reasons that Israel will never give up the land they captured from the Arabs as that ground contains two huge underground aquifers which constitute the only fresh water within current Israeli borders. The only other option is the River Jordan and guess where that little trickle passes through before it gets into Israel. Just consider how many raids the Israelis launch against irrigation systems diverting water away from it.

5. None in the past 4,500 years?? but what about the Arab-Israeli '67 war and the war between Senegal and Mauritania?

6. Aye. You got away with our oil but we'll make you pay for the water....

In the meanwhile you can have Gordon Brown on free transfer.

7. It's also a big reason why Pakistan is so interested in Kashmir. It's where most of their fresh water sources originate.

8. And why the Sunni need to shut up and start getting tooled up if they want to keep hold of Lake Karbala in the future. You can't drink oil.

9. There was a referance to a comment credited to Sharon that the 67 Arab/Isreali War was over the 63 moves by Isreal on the waters of the River Jordan. However I cannot locate it and will so accept Bollackings.

China and The Mekong, oh my Bhuddha, they have been damming and playing silly buggers for years, certinly for the 5 I have been living here.
    An old joke was that Omans forign policy was written in Downing St well I will suggest that Thighlands is now part written in Peking.
    The Chinese are slowly reducing the Mekong to a glorified stream and massive blasting of upper reaches to remove rapids and allow passage of large boats, where just a cover to reduce rate at which lack of flow of water became obvious.
    Chinas old enemy Vietnam will be a big loser as the rice growing delta will dry up and the Tone Sap lake near Ankor will slowly becum the Arial sea of Asia.
    Big dams are also being constructed on the Salween River, some up in China and soon by Thighland Burma further down the river, assuming the two curent administration stay in power.
    john

10. Aha, yes that was it, I've just dug out 'The Fifty Years War: Isreal and the Arabs' and it says that a young Arafat and his fledgling PLO blew up irrigation pipes in August 1967, and that Isreal fought back by chucking them across the River Jordan.

Knew I read it somewhere :D