Water shortage......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fastmedic, May 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Possibly the wrong forum. Mods, over to you!

Water shortage

Question to the folks here. I pay a merry old sum each month for the supply of water and sewage services to my home. About £1.01 per day averaged out. Would I be able to continue paying the charges for the sewage supply and reduce the sum paid for the water supply?

If technically I am not getting the product that I pay for in the amount I want why should I pay the full charge.

Could be a really biff question, however it bugs me to pay for poor service.

fastmedic

2. Good question but NO. You are still getting a healthly water supply to your home. It's not like you are getting a reduced water supply to your premises. Try and call your Water company but I doubt you will win.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Get a water meter & only pay for what you use.

No water shortage in the north or Scotland :D .
    How come any problems in the South East & it's a National Disaster, anywhere else & it's a local problem? :?

4. It baffles me why there is not more research into the feasibility of desalination plants being used to reduce the problem.

Anyone out there know if this is possible or am I talking from my buttocks?

fastmedic

5. Imagine what it will be like when the Government succeeds in getting another few hundred thousands new houses built in Kent... :cry:

6. This won't cheer you up then:

link

(btw just seen how many new emoticons there are to choose from) :omfg:

7. Thames Water has proposed the construction of a plant but has been knocked back.

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Red Ken doesn't like it:
    The Mayor's objections - and our response

London’s Mayor Ken Livingstone has blocked our proposal for the Thames Gateway Water Treatment Plant. He says it would use too much energy, and argues that other measures, like using water more efficiently, and doing more work to reduce leakage, would take away the need for it.

Energy

We have worked hard to minimise the impact of our business on the environment as a result of the energy we use. We have developed sources of renewable energy that provide clean, ‘green’ power, and we generate around 10% of the total energy we use in this way.

We do this by harnessing the energy produced by treating sewage – for example, with combined heat and power schemes in Reading and Banbury. We have reassured the Mayor that we will meet his target for us to provide at least 10% of the energy needs of the plant with renewable sources.

The amount of energy that is needed to treat water for drinking depends on its quality, and how much salt it contains. Because there are no more sources of freshwater that we can use to increase supplies to London, we have had to assess more innovative options, which tend to need more energy. Desalination actually uses less energy than many of the other options we examined.

The Thames Gateway Water Treatment Plant would treat river water that is less than one third as salty as seawater. It would use only 15% as much power as the most energy-intensive desalination plants that use heat to remove the salt from seawater, and less than half as much energy as desalination plants that use filtration techniques to treat seawater.

Water efficiency

We agree with the Mayor that reducing demand for water is vital. We are working hard to encourage our customers to become more water efficient, and have formed a partnership with the Mayor to promote water efficiency with a joint public awareness campaign.

Although this will help, the growing pressures on London’s resources mean that water efficiency will not be enough on its own to take away the need for the desalination plant. The increasing amount of water we use is only one of the challenges we face – along with climate change and a huge predicted rise in population.

So we have to use a range of solutions to make sure London has the water it needs. These include reducing leakage, using water wisely and developing new sources of water, like the Thames Gateway Water Treatment Plant.

Leakage

Reducing leakage remains our top priority, and we are doing more than ever before to bring levels down, spending £500,000 every single day.

In addition to making around 200 repairs to our pipes a day, we are working in around 20 different locations in London to replace the oldest and leakiest Victorian mains.

We have already replaced more than 250 miles of pipes – enough to stretch from London to Paris – and by 2010 we will have replaced nearly 1,000 miles of mains, helping save millions of litres of water a day.

Reducing leakage is the most significant part of our strategy to close the gap between supply and demand - and the case for building the desalination plant takes into account the predicted savings from our work to reduce leakage.

But reducing leakage can’t close the gap between supply and demand quickly enough. There is a limit to the amount of work we can do, particularly because pipe replacement works inevitably lead to disruption for local residents, businesses and road users.

9. Heres something that I have been wondering about for a while.

I have just had a well bored in my garden, it consists of 7 meters of piping going straight down and I now have a source of water that does not come through the water companies system.

So if I started using this to wash my car, fill the swimming pool etc would I be in touble?

Of course I would be hated by my neighbours but they can all fcuk off anyway, would I be in legal trouble?

10. I'm sure someone somewhere would find a way of ruining your hard work and efforts. Especially if you start charging your neighbours for the use of your water supply......

11. Surely they can't brink legal trouble to you for sourcing some water for you to drink? That would be like saying you can't grow your own food?

12. I don't want to drink it, I want to frivolusly waste it on car washing, swimming pools, huge enormous fountains and the like.
    Just to annoy the neighbours and the local water company, but need to know if I am going to be facing a 5 grand fine if I do :)

13. A ban means you cannot use a hosepipe to water a private garden or wash a private car . The definition of a private motor car includes any mechanical vehicle eg. Motorbikes, taxis, minicabs, caravans and trailers. Buses are not covered by the ban as they are public service vehicles and push bikes are also not included but we're appealing to our customers to use a bucket of water throughout the duration of the ban. It also bans use of garden sprinklers and irrigation systems , connected to the mains water supply, (including micro-irrigation, seep hoses, drip feed systems). We are asking our customers to be sensible about using water elsewhere around the home (see examples in the garden and home sections below). A hosepipe ban helps to reduce the demand for water and it also raises awareness of the drought.

This from the Three Rivers (dried up). Your well should be tested apparently and can you imagine how often well comes up on Yahoo?
    I would imagine if the sprinklers are ok you could stick various digits skywards and wash the car whether it needs it or not.
    I would double check first though.

14. That's your own water so no different from rainwater from your roof in a barrel. Use it however you want!

15. Dont the water company own the rights to all the groundwater in their region? I'm sure I remember this coming up years ago, a guy dug himself a well, but was still liable for water rates.