Water shortage, why?

Imagine the amount of water saved every year (and costs in making water potable) if all new toilets only used rain water.... for example.
sarge I dont know what part of the ROI you're in ? but I see the water issue is kicking in, I was over in westport on the weekend and noticed the standpipes that used to be available for motorhomes and such has been disconnected, so much the same problem I guess over there.

Imagine the amount of water saved every year (and costs in making water potable) if all new toilets only used rain water.... for example.

Imagine how many people would be dying of cholera due to un-flushable toilets right about now...

Edit: in all seriousness, apart from the problem of low rainfall from time to time, much of the UK population manages to live in filth and squalor despite receiving pure water on tap. Many of those households are going to be quite incapable of managing any sort of recycling system - filters, carts, extra cleaning, etc.

Privatisation has by and large screwed all long term planning for all utilities.

Like all companies, utilities are share price and dividend driven. Thus they are doing the minimum possible to comply with their legal obligations whilst channeling funds to shareholders.

Thames water have been fined on multiple occasions for excessive leakage and pollution.

E.g. In March 2017 a judge imposed a record fine of £20.3m on Thames Water after large leaks of untreated sewage, totalling 1.4bn litres, occurred over a number of years.

Ownership:
Thames Water plc was acquired by the German utility company RWE in 2001. As well as its British operations, it continued as an international water treatment consultancy and acquired further overseas operations.

On 17 October 2006, following several years of criticism about failed leakage targets in the UK, RWE announced it would sell Thames Water for £8 billion to Kemble Water Holdings Ltd, a consortium led by the Australian Macquarie Group. In December 2006, the sale of Thames Water's British operation went ahead, with RWE keeping the overseas operations.

On 14 March 2017, Macquarie Group sold its remaining stake in Thames Water's holding company to OMERS and the Kuwait Investment Authority.

Currently the largest shareholders are Canadian pensions group OMERS (23%), BT Pension Scheme (13%), the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (9.9%), the China Investment Corporation (8.7%) and the Kuwait Investment Authority (8.5%)

Since 2007, it has made capital investments at least £1 billion a year in its infrastructure – the largest such annual investment within the UK water industry. In 2015–2016, this figure was £1.2 billion.[2] This level of investment has allowed the company to defer, but not avoid, substantial portions of its corporation tax liability in line with UK tax law.

The other water companies are not much better. BTW, Thames Water loses 25% of treated water through leaks, and Severn Trent 27%. These are typical of the privatised companies.

I read an article many years ago when LED bulbs first started popping up. The article was twaddling on about the amount of energy LED bulbs would save, therefore using less fuel, therefore less harm to the environment. Coming to the point now a distant relation to saving water but, in the same vein: Some clever phuqer had worked out that if they changed all the bulbs in traffic lights and road signs for their LED equivalents in California they could actually do away with two whole power stations. Now, I never did the math's but, it is worthy of thought.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The spring in the garden has not dried up yet, the willows in that corner are doing wonderfully. :biggrin:

I suspect it will need a lot more dry weather before it threatens any sort of water shortage up here.

Dwr Cymru Welsh Water is a Welsh not-for-profit organisation.

What does not-for-profit mean? | Company Information | Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I stand corrected, so, its only us daft Englanders that stand for being ripped off big time by shyster profiteers, seems about wright. The spineless money grubbing individuals in the Westminster bubble, and their lackeys in Whitehall, are at least consistent...." Screwing the English tax payer since 1799"

Many thanks Dorky_Boy for your figures, you fücknut! The 25 percent loss and the 27 percent loss by Thames Water and Severn Trent respectively represent losses from that the respective companies don't feel obliged to do anything about because the "punters are paying for it". They (the investors) have no reason to put their money into schemes that could (possibly) reduce their profits.

MsG
Too bad you wouldn't suffer a permanent loss of oxygen.

You think your bad

Irish Government set up a new independent privatised water utility a few years ago. They then set about the task of installing water meters (which had been previously removed). Huge protests.

Then they gave a “water conservation grant” (basically money off).

I think the 1st (possibly the 2nd) bills were issued. Then roll back no more charging for water. Then the money off and paid bills were refunded.

sarge I dont know what part of the ROI you're in ? but I see the water issue is kicking in, I was over in westport on the weekend and noticed the standpipes that used to be available for motorhomes and such has been disconnected, so much the same problem I guess over there.
I’m Dublin

Standpipes are potable water, point I’m making is if greywater was used for flushing toilets instead of potable treated water it would save hundreds of millions of litres and save the utilities money

Imagine how many people would be dying of cholera due to un-flushable toilets right about now...

Edit: in all seriousness, apart from the problem of low rainfall from time to time, much of the UK population manages to live in filth and squalor despite receiving pure water on tap. Many of those households are going to be quite incapable of managing any sort of recycling system - filters, carts, extra cleaning, etc.
True it would require backup obviously

Remember:
That your utility supplier is probably foreign owned.
That profit is their only motive
That your previous govenments decided to open the door to unfettered immigration
That we don't remove illegal immigrants in any numbers
That the water infrastructure is mostly over 100 years old
Climate change is kicking in due to world overpopulation
To build more reservoirs is expensive and will cause an environmental outcry

Just saying.
It was dirty immigrants that did it:mrgreen:

Are you an internet parody bot

Interesting reading. Run and controlled by the Scots, In a word, nationalised, within the framework of the Scottish parliament. In England and Wales, not so, run by private firms, some foriegn, for profit.
I stand corrected, so, its only us daft Englanders that stand for being ripped off big time by shyster profiteers, seems about wright. The spineless money grubbing individuals in the Westminster bubble, and their lackeys in Whitehall, are at least consistent...." Screwing the English tax payer since 1799"
WW also cover a large area of Herefordshire,so not all the English are getting screwed.

Water should be a national commodity though owned by the state and within reason taxed according to prevent the boreholes you mention ruining it for the self sufficient types off grid exactly how you mention.
Not sure that taxation is the right way to prevent commercial boreholes. Just insist on a desalination plant instead. IIRC there are states in Septicland which 'nationalised' rainfall and then sold the 'rights' to private companies. It is now illegal in those states to store and use rainwater as every drop of water consumed has to be bought from one of these fat-cat monopolies.

<rant shield down>
I paid to have a domestic borehole drilled to abstract natural water from the abundant aquifers hereabouts. As I live on top of a hill nearly 300 metres ASL, it is 170 metres deep and therefore was not cheap. I paid for a pump at the bottom of the borehole and pay for the electrickery which delivers water to the 20,000 litre underground cistern I paid to have constructed, and for a second pump and power that delivers water under pressure from there to the house. I paid for the guttering around the house that delivers rainwater to the 5,000 litres of above ground water tanks for which, you guessed, I paid. All these outlays were/are made from net income after tax and furthermore includes on top IVA, VAT, Purchase tax, GST or whatever the state financial rip off is called in your particular neck of the woods.

From the afore-mentioned hill I have an excellent view over the Atlantic. The gobmunt is already considering sharing in my good fortune by introducing a council tax surcharge on my property because I have a 'view'. i would therefore take it particularly badly and very personally if the fekkers started taxing rain as well after all I have spent. And where would it end anyway? A sunlight tax? The air that we breathe?
<rant shield up>

OZ

Ireland is also suffering similar problems but we have huge issues with Victorian era pipework that leaks.

Bigger reservoirs?

Complusory rain & grey water collection for new builds?
A combination of all including fixing the leaks.

A thank you for building your infrastructure wouldn’t go amiss.

My brother and SiL, having been here and suffered it, adopted Cape Town water saving drills in theit South of England home.
The council came round to check why they were using so little water, assuming the meter was faulty!
That does not surprise me one bit. However, since we moved to Wales and discovered how much it costs to have our cess tank emptied, we adopted some sensible water usage methods in order to reduce the water going into the tank and have cut our metered water consumption in half with no real effect on our lifestyle (no dishwasher unless we have a houseful, showers (ship's routine) not baths, reduced loo flushing, etc). DCWW, as a not-for-profit, have not batted an eyelid. Our next project is to convert to a micro-sewage plant to make our lives easier.
Washing up by hand and chucking the water onto the flowerbeds has kept the garden in decent nick during this hot spell too, though it helps that we live on a saltmarsh.

ISTR that Staffordshire is overcoming a water shortage by pinching water from Birmingham who in turn get it from Wales.
Finally someone has found a use for Wales.