Water shortage, why?

So after one of the wettest Springs on record we are now looking at water shortages across a lot of the UK. Surely the Government must bring pressure to bear on the water companies to fix leaks, renew infrastructure etc. and while I understand that de-salination is expensive the fact that we live on an island must mean that we could look at better ways of doing it. I know graphene filters have been used effectivley and there must be far better ways to extract salt from water.

We also have the issue that we are trying to supply an increased population, with the capacity that was set in the 60's we have had no new reservoirs built nor does it seem we will do.

To have a fundemental aspect to life restricted in a country such as ours is in effect embarassing and a disgrace

To have a fundemental aspect to life restricted in a country such as ours is in effect embarassing and a disgrace
... to the utility providers more interested in profit than service, and to a government that fails to take effective punitive action against them. Renationalise the lot, and raise the necessary taxes to pay for it!

Oh, wait a minute...

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Only yesterday I was to talking to a friend about this, where he lives they had dug up a large section of the road to replace an old water pipe, relaid the road and everything was ticketyboo. Well it would have been but less than six months later this new pipe had sprung a leak and the road which had started to crack up because it was that bad you could see the water bubbling up all had to be replaced, including of course the brand new leaking pipe.:frustrated:
So a pipe that although old was perfectly OK, well I suppose it needed replacing so they did.
BUT FFS IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO A JOB LIKE THIS DO IT FECKING PROPERLY YOU ODIOTIC INCOMPETENT BUFFOONS!
I think that's why there is is a water shortage. Glad that's cleared up.

Desalination plants are as expensive as hell to build and run for the one time in 5 years you need them. Adelaide built one and have never used it.

Get yourself a rain tank or two.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Try living in Wales, lack of water is never an issue, even though a lot of it is pumped to Liverpool and beyond

Water Shortage what's that then ?
Not if the SE gets its way, a few months ago I heard on the local station that the SE wants Welsh water, they kindly said hat they will pay for the pipe work and pumps and may even pay for the water they take. Well I say bollocks to you. I lived in that over populated area for more years than I care to remember all they do is build and cram in houses any where they can but do they ever think of the bigger picture like constructing a new reservoir or two? No, so feck em I say, get your own house in order and start digging a few big holes to hold and supply your own water.

Desalination plants are as expensive as hell to build and run for the one time in 5 years you need them. Adelaide built one and have never used it.

You know something's not right when the words desalination and the UK are mentioned in the same sentence. It's not Saudi Arabia FFS!! It's pouring/ drizzling/ raining/ whatever here a lot of the time! Yes, the summer this year has been uncharacteristically warm/long/ good (at least in/ around London) but even then. The water companies really must be taking the piss.

Try operating on 50l per person per day...
SOP:
2 minute shower
or alternately a flannel-off from the washbasin.
Flushing when absolutely necessary
Careful laundry management, and outflow collected and re-used for next load
etc etc etc

You'd be surprised how much water gets wasted, because it is... y'know, there like.

We also have the issue that we are trying to supply an increased population, with the capacity that was set in the 60's we have had no new reservoirs built nor does it seem we will do.

I'm sure the per-person usage figures have increased hugely as well. Lifestyle changes since the 60s have seen to that.

The summer of 76 we had a bowser at the top of the road with a builder's bathtub at the back of it - they couldn't even be bothered to fix the leak on that....

The water companies really must be taking the piss.
And if they were processing it properly there wouldn't be a water shortage.

The problem you have is you have a water infrastructure deigned for 1960's and a population of around 54 million that is now trying to service a population of 65 million, along with that the explosion in water using devices such as dishwashers and washing machines means that the average usage has also gone up.

Remember:
That your utility supplier is probably foreign owned.
That profit is their only motive
That your previous govenments decided to open the door to unfettered immigration
That we don't remove illegal immigrants in any numbers
That the water infrastructure is mostly over 100 years old
Climate change is kicking in due to world overpopulation
To build more reservoirs is expensive and will cause an environmental outcry

Just saying.

A friend of mine who is an engineer for UU here in the north west told me that our water reserves are fine, the actual problem lies with supply capacity as the UV filters they were made to fit a few years back (which are about as much use as tits on a fish apparently) have severely restricted the flow of water in the region..

Last edited:

Here in Algarve the construction of more and more golf courses is de rigeur - at the last count there were nearly forty. Each takes at least 100,000 litres of water per day from the common water table by the easiest (and cheapest) expedient of sinking a super-borehole of 300 metres or so and sucking up everything for miles around, so if your own domestic borehole nearby is only 70 metres deep then you're stuffed. Bearing in mind that a single round of golf costs upwards of 140/150 Euros per head and the courses are fully booked, I believe the solution is to make it mandatory that course operators install a desalination plant and that future planning consents are not granted unless one is included. Almost all of these courses are no more than a few kilometres from the coast (in fact, many are classified as links courses) and there was an abundance of water in the Atlantic the last time I looked.

For the record, my remote property has no mains water, relying instead on a borehole and 5,000 litres of rainwater tanks.

OZ

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Try living in Wales, lack of water is never an issue, even though a lot of it is pumped to Liverpool and beyond

Water Shortage what's that then ?
The Elan dams (Elan is a tributary of the Wye) keep Birmingham in water. The level of the main dam at Caban Coch rarely drops more than a few feet.

I did ex Trident as Hunter force again NATO Special Forces in 1977 out of Otterburn while they were building the Kielder dam. Took family a decade later. Water level was down 15'. Tour guide said it was half empty. Water shortage? No, we never run short. We supply as far away as Manchester. We half drained the reservoir to inspect for cracks.

Edit. God dam you you REDACTED (Current Affairs) REDACTED speelchucker.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not if the SE gets its way, a few months ago I heard on the local station that the SE wants Welsh water, they kindly said hat they will pay for the pipe work and pumps and may even pay for the water they take. Well I say bollocks to you. I lived in that over populated area for more years than I care to remember all they do is build and cram in houses any where they can but do they ever think of the bigger picture like constructing a new reservoir or two? No, so feck em I say, get your own house in order and start digging a few big holes to hold and supply your own water.
I can only give you one like. Oh wait.

So after one of the wettest Springs on record we are now looking at water shortages across a lot of the UK. Surely the Government must bring pressure to bear on the water companies to fix leaks, renew infrastructure etc. and while I understand that de-salination is expensive the fact that we live on an island must mean that we could look at better ways of doing it. I know graphene filters have been used effectivley and there must be far better ways to extract salt from water.

Stringent guidelines and targets are already in place to reduce the amounts of leaks.

An awful lot of our water infrastructure is late Victorian population 38 million as opposed to 65 million now.

Water usage has increased with the advent of flushing toilets, baths, showers, washing machine, dishwashers, paddling pools etc so the infrastructure is reaching its capacity.

Water favourite seems are biggest issue so more reservoirs are needed, but home plate the days of compulsory you purchasing a whole village in order to create a new reservoir.

Maybe, just maybe we got the calculations wrong relating to the speed at which under ground reservoirs replenish.

In short, are problems are managed.

Increased water consumption combined with a reluctance to capture water.

De salination is woefully expensive. We have more water in the U.K. than we know what to do. We don’t have it where it’s needed.

Maybe, just maybe we got the calculations wrong relating to the speed at which under ground reservoirs replenish.
There's much more wasted 'run off' these days, as more and more people concrete over their front gardens to make extra parking.
Without large green 'soak' areas, especially in urban environments, the water table is dropping at quite a rate.