Water Jerrycans

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by skid2, Jan 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

This stuff's not over yet. Anybody any ideas where I can get a couple of water jerrycans?
    The hovel is fine for water but there are friends with kids having diffs
  2. Where are you?
  3. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

well at lest the Belfast council have done their bit during the water shortage . They have closed lanes 7 and 8 in the swimming baths .
  4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Sorry: Northern Ireland funnily enough
    I know Google is my friend but postage costs are insane from the mainland.
  5. Makro are doing them last I seen.

Failing that im sure if you check the army shop in smithfield market them might have a few old army ones.
  6. Wash out your wheelie bin, that's 240l right there. 5l fuel containers at petrol stations provided they're brand new. Failing that you can get 5l, 10l and 25l water carriers from camping shops.
  7. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Thanks all, main difficulty was it being new years day and everywhere with any sense was closed, including camping shops. (And Sadies in Smithfield). Loved the idea of the wheelie bin am looking forward to towing a full one of those up the road. I'm allergic to Makro, having been pointlessly hiked through there once a week for a number of years
    Oh yeah app while digging the roads up looking for water leaks one of the contracters discovered that that part of the road was serviced by wooden water pipes, which were still in use. How long they had been rotted and collapsed is anyones guess. Still my favourite one is where they were appealing from business people to go back and check their premises because of serious water loss. Yet throughout the whole period BT 1 to 3 was never without water and the water service was delivering large amounts of water to an area it had publicly stated was losing serious amounts of water.
  8. Skid, I heard about the wooden mains too. I believe they eventually concluded they were abandoned but initially gave the appearance of being in use as they were draining water from nearby leaks.

The bin idea is not too far off. Use a smaller bin lined with a bin liner which you secure with a knot or clip to minimise splillage. I've used this method to carry liquid in a moving vehicle (Though admitedly it was urine).
  9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I wasn't being facetious about the bin. It's a great idea. I was talking to one of the old(er) timers down here who was asking about all the fuss over water. According to him we're serviced by some sort of direct feed which had something to do with all the military emplacements during the war. No doubt when they have a rethink and a rebuild this eminantly practical idea will be removed and fed straight to the good people of North Down to minimise any inconeniance to those in the Bangor area. And quite right too.
  10. AKA 'Taking the piss'. ;)