Water is weird.

For the geeks.

California NanoSystems Institute: Video Archive

Guest speaker Philip Ball, a good science writer and former editor of Nature.

Philip Ball [ Why Water is Weird ]

Philip Ball is a freelance science writer. He worked previously at Nature for over 20 years, first as an editor for physical sciences (for which his brief extended from biochemistry to quantum physics and materials science) and then as a Consultant Editor. His writings on science for the popular press have covered topical issues ranging from cosmology to the future of molecular biology. Philip is the author of several popular books on science, including works on the nature of water, pattern formation in the natural world, color in art, and the science of social and political philosophy. Philip has a BA in Chemistry from the University of Oxford and a PhD in Physics from the University of Bristol. Philip Ball - Science writer
In connection with the 4th State of Water: From Macro to Micro exhibition at CoCA Torun, UCLA is hosting a Symposiumon March 22 (World Water Day) and March 23, 2012.

Opening keynotes will be given by renowned science writer Dr. Philip Ball, author of "Why Water is Weird" and "H20: A Biography of Water", and Gerald Pollack from the Department of Bioengineering at the University of Washington, speaking on his research on the "Fourth Phase of Water".

The event will additionally feature a joint "Tap" online session powered by Waterwheel,an interactive, collaborative platform from Australia - connecting with Japan and Poland.
Unfortunately I can't link the video directly to this thread, but might be interesting to consider the stranger aspects of H2O next time you have a drink.

DC

Upon freezing, everything - with one exception - gets smaller and so increases in density.

The exception is water, which expands upon freezing.

So what? This means that frozen water - ice - floats. If ice sank, the oceans would have frozen weeks ago. If they'd frozen, life as we know it ( Jim) could not have devolved.

Weird shit, innit...

Upon freezing, everything - with one exception - gets smaller and so increases in density.

The exception is water, which expands upon freezing.

So what? This means that frozen water - ice - floats. If ice sank, the oceans would have frozen weeks ago. If they'd frozen, life as we know it ( Jim) could not have devolved.

Weird shit, innit...
If ice sank, Titanic would be an even more boring film,

Apparently there's a thing called ICE9 which is so cold it could freeze over all the oceans. It only exists under huge pressure tho.

I'm waiting for what the 4th state is, I think it's liquid cystal LCD.

It's the damn bodily fluids, you see??! :)

Mandrake?
Yes, Jack?
Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Well, I can't say I have, Jack.
Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
Oh, eh, yes. I, uhm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this Earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that 70 percent of you is water?
Good Lord!
And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Yes.
Are you beginning to understand?
Yes.
Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol?
Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
Well, do you know what it is?
No, no I don't know what it is, no.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

Apparently there's a thing called ICE9 which is so cold it could freeze over all the oceans. It only exists under huge pressure tho.
sadly no. Ice9 is a kurt Vonnegurt creation. Ice under extreme pressure does the opposite, it turns into a lubricant. Glaciers and shit, innit?

Sent from my gold plated iPhone using ARRSE app

You're perhaps thinking about water in a supercooled state, prior to coalescence? Science, bitches!

Sent from my gold plated iPhone using ARRSE app

Latest Threads