Watch (timepiece)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by TopCat1308, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. which watch on the market is most useful/suitable for military purposes?
    I.e. taking into account quality, robustness, price, any luxury extras other than being able to tell the time :D
  2. By **** I presume you meant cock and by cock I presume you meant clock? ;)

I use a £50 G-Shock and am very happy with it. It's waterproof and durable, the alarm, dual time and timer comes in quite handy. It's also quite subdued in colour.
  3. Do a search and you'll find a plethora of timepiece geeks getting hot and flustered about things that go tick. Everything that needs to be written about military watches has already been covered on ARRSE ad nauseam.

Oh and if you must know, G10 for men. Comes with a garotte sewn into the strap for E&E. Shock and Bulletproof, and able to survive a 20kt nuclear blast underwater (down to 205 m). Honest.
  4. Many people are using suunto, if you can afford them. By all accounts they are bob on.

Personally I'm rubbish with watches and tend to lose them, so am currently on a baby g which has lasted me 4 years so far and a couple of trips to the sandpit amongst other places.
  6. I still have the same G Shock I had 10 years ago. I have tried replacing it a few times just for the sake of getting a new one. All the replacements have failed. I'm sticking with this now until it blows up.
  7. Green and Black Baby G. Had it well over a decade now. Wear it 24hrs a day.

Not a single drama with it, changed battery only twice.

The strap stinks, but in that very horny way something does when it is very, very dirty.
  8. G shocks seem to be ample in their utility....having looked on website its another matter of ascertaining which one hhmmm.
  9. Without a doubt* the Suunto Vector. This is what one reviewer had to say:

Tim X - Soldier - UK - Army.

Hi, I recently purchased one of your excellent watches: a Suunto Vector. As a professional soldier I require a watch that provides maximum bang for bucks, and at £125, your Vector model fits the bill perfectly. It possesses all the functions that I need to carry out my duties: altimeter, GPS, compass, stop-watch, heart rate monitor, barometer, thermometer, theodolite, WiFi and numerous multi-function alarms that are vital when it comes to staying awake on operations.

It looks great too. It has attracted much admiration from members of the opposite sex who seem to think I'm in the SAS and I've had three 'confirmed kills' as a direct result of wearing this watch. The guys love it too - although I'm not so readily inclined towards them as I am in the same way as the fairer sex. There's always a beer on the bar for me - again, as a result of your fabulous product. I wouldn't be without it.

Tim AGC(SPS)

*Unless of course you opt for a Nite MX20, then everyone will think you're SBS.
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

What does Tim do for a living
    He could have least have signed it Henno (Red Troop)