Watch out all Hats!!

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by muhandis89, Feb 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's official

''To support the Nu Expeditionary Warface Concept,the Sappers will have both a Para and Commando Engineer Regiment''

All candidates report to???
  2. 23 Engr Regt (Air Asslt) and 24 (Cdo) Engr Regt.

it's all in the flashy 'FAS Pullout!!!' in the EinC's annual report, free with this months sapper mag.
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Bloody hell mate - which planet have you been on? 23 Regt formed in early 2003 (in time for TELIC), the Cdo Regt thing has been openly discussed for about a year!
  4. That'll be 24 Cdo Engr Regt. Negative brackets.
  5. good point, my bad.

food for thought, will non-commando trained pers get posted into this new cdo regiment and from there get sent to the cdo course, a la 23 Engr Regt? Otherwise don't see how they're going to man the new squadrons when the regt forms up.
  6. 23 are having a real nightmare getting guys para trained, they are crying out for them. 59 (I think) still have large number of blue berets. With FAS I can't see this improving much unless they simply post direct from 23 to 24 and just put up the badge!!!

24 is a good idea but is going to be very painfull.
  7. Agree with that! 59 Have pretty much everyone badged,I believe,and the TA Sqn(131) are providing pretty constant short term back up on ops.I suspect some recruiting from other Arms and Inf may become necessary.And then there's the officers!
  8. 9 Sqn had have everyone badged before 23 formed up. Then the P trained blokes were spread out amongst the regt.

Exactly the same will happen at 24. Moral will hit the floor and start to dig.

9. when is this expansion from commando squadron to commando regiment actually happening?

10. The formation of 24 Engr Regt is subject to normalisation in NI (not very likely at the moment) and is in Phase 2 of FAS unlike the new EOD Sqn for 33 Engr Regt (EOD). Most likely to be 2008-2010 so don't hold your breath.
  11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Not strictly true. 51 Sqn started putting people through P Coy/para training in late 2001, and the succeful ones, plus those members of the squadron that were already para trained, switched to red berets well before 23 was formed and the squadron was still part of 38 Regt.
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

In E in C's most recent Annual Report, the manpower liability arising from NI normalisation has switched from 24 Regt to forming the second Air Support regiment. The manpower liability for 24 Regt is now authorised in the core FAS package. That sees manpower liability becoming available from 2005 - 2008. (See recent Sapper Mag for more detail!)
  13. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I saw a report on the OCs desk last week.

The new EOD Sqn for 33 is getting binned.
  14. I think you may have read the report incorrectly. We are expecting 17 Fd Sqn (EOD) to be formed in 2007 not 2006 as originally planned as they have run out of money already. The restructuring of the rest f the Regiment will continue to go ahead in 2006 (4 Tps in each EOD Sqn of 3 EOD teams, possibly 4 teams).
  15. with all these new squadrons, where is the manpower going to come from? does this mean that existing units are going to be more undermanned than they already are for the time being?