Watch out all Hats!!

It's official

''To support the Nu Expeditionary Warface Concept,the Sappers will have both a Para and Commando Engineer Regiment''

All candidates report to???

23 Engr Regt (Air Asslt) and 24 (Cdo) Engr Regt.

it's all in the flashy 'FAS Pullout!!!' in the EinC's annual report, free with this months sapper mag.

chimera

LE
muhandis89 said:
It's official

''To support the Nu Expeditionary Warface Concept,the Sappers will have both a Para and Commando Engineer Regiment''

All candidates report to???
Bloody hell mate - which planet have you been on? 23 Regt formed in early 2003 (in time for TELIC), the Cdo Regt thing has been openly discussed for about a year!

nasch said:
cdn_spr said:
23 Engr Regt (Air Asslt) and 24 (Cdo) Engr Regt.
That'll be 24 Cdo Engr Regt. Negative brackets.
good point, my bad.

food for thought, will non-commando trained pers get posted into this new cdo regiment and from there get sent to the cdo course, a la 23 Engr Regt? Otherwise don't see how they're going to man the new squadrons when the regt forms up.

23 are having a real nightmare getting guys para trained, they are crying out for them. 59 (I think) still have large number of blue berets. With FAS I can't see this improving much unless they simply post direct from 23 to 24 and just put up the badge!!!

24 is a good idea but is going to be very painfull.

Agree with that! 59 Have pretty much everyone badged,I believe,and the TA Sqn(131) are providing pretty constant short term back up on ops.I suspect some recruiting from other Arms and Inf may become necessary.And then there's the officers!

muhandis89 said:
Agree with that! 59 Have pretty much everyone badged,I believe,and the TA Sqn(131) are providing pretty constant short term back up on ops.I suspect some recruiting from other Arms and Inf may become necessary.And then there's the officers!
9 Sqn had have everyone badged before 23 formed up. Then the P trained blokes were spread out amongst the regt.

Exactly the same will happen at 24. Moral will hit the floor and start to dig.

SK

The formation of 24 Engr Regt is subject to normalisation in NI (not very likely at the moment) and is in Phase 2 of FAS unlike the new EOD Sqn for 33 Engr Regt (EOD). Most likely to be 2008-2010 so don't hold your breath.

SKJOLD said:
9 Sqn had have everyone badged before 23 formed up. Then the P trained blokes were spread out amongst the regt.
SK
Not strictly true. 51 Sqn started putting people through P Coy/para training in late 2001, and the succeful ones, plus those members of the squadron that were already para trained, switched to red berets well before 23 was formed and the squadron was still part of 38 Regt.

short-fuse said:
The formation of 24 Engr Regt is subject to normalisation in NI (not very likely at the moment) and is in Phase 2 of FAS unlike the new EOD Sqn for 33 Engr Regt (EOD). Most likely to be 2008-2010 so don't hold your breath.
In E in C's most recent Annual Report, the manpower liability arising from NI normalisation has switched from 24 Regt to forming the second Air Support regiment. The manpower liability for 24 Regt is now authorised in the core FAS package. That sees manpower liability becoming available from 2005 - 2008. (See recent Sapper Mag for more detail!)

short-fuse said:
I saw a report on the OCs desk last week.

The new EOD Sqn for 33 is getting binned.

I think you may have read the report incorrectly. We are expecting 17 Fd Sqn (EOD) to be formed in 2007 not 2006 as originally planned as they have run out of money already. The restructuring of the rest f the Regiment will continue to go ahead in 2006 (4 Tps in each EOD Sqn of 3 EOD teams, possibly 4 teams).

with all these new squadrons, where is the manpower going to come from? does this mean that existing units are going to be more undermanned than they already are for the time being?

cdn_spr said:
with all these new squadrons, where is the manpower going to come from? does this mean that existing units are going to be more undermanned than they already are for the time being?
It takes a while to form them up, hence the timescale 2005 - 2008. The squadrons that formed under SDR tended to 'evolve' over time, with a hard core of management starting the process, and then successive waves of posting in. The Sappers will get an unlift in ATRA recruiting allocation which feeds into the bottom of the heap, together with maybe allowing some continuance etc at the top end. There will be some direct transferes across from other Arms that are reducing under FAS, especialy where skills are useful (C3S equivalents, A vehs crews etc). We will almost certainly see some undermanning in units as this process carries on as we have done under the SDR uplift that formed 10 Sqn, 25 Armd, 30 Sqn etc.

That said cdn_spr - it is nice that we can have tis conversation and not the one that the infantry are having!!

Anyone know anything of the rumour that there is to be a TA para squadron once more? (131 was once an airborne regiment I think)

Don't know who they will find for this - you could raid 131 for some likely bods but 101 is unlikely to be able to provide many and 10 Para is neither the force it once was nor necessarily a source of particularly suitable material...?

I'm sure they will manage to find enough Officers and SNCOs around the Corps who are already Cdo trained for 24 Regt, although I imagine getting anywhere near enough lads trianed wil be a long slow process. I'm sure recruiting will become even more intense.

Surely a concern must be that with both 23 Regt and 24 Regt trying to recruit enough trained personnel then any fairly fit Sapper will have considerable pressure placed upon him to attend one or other course. Will this be to the detriment of other Regts? Also will it result in a higher failure rate on P Coy/Cdo Course due to Sappers being sent who are not really up to it.

Chimera, you don't think the standards in the testing etc. will drop in either the dagger or the wings course because of the sheer amount of warriors required to fulfill these vacant spaces do you?!

Zus40RE 8)

Latest Threads