Watch Gurus - CWC Divers Watch - Owners Reviews

I bought one for work use and foolishly trusted it to tell me the time after dark. All I saw was a green splodge; tried to return it to the seller and got no joy, being many miles from the UK at the time didn't help, but they were deeply unhelpful. I had to make do with something bought from a street vendor for a couple of months, and stuck with Timex for the next few years.

On review the CWC divers are a fine looking beasts, could do with a few more mm in various directions to really turn the wearer into a hetero-Saurus Rex

Looks really nice. Shopping around the 699 quid on the CWC site seems a good price.
Basic model comes in around £499. Day / date models cost more on the website.

Get a Traser watch. It's "self powered" and will glow in the dark for years. That's due to radioactive tritium, the same stuff that used to make hydrogen bombs explode and BT Trimphones glow in the dark.

You'll definitely have no problem getting it past Homeland Security at any American airport. Set off one of their personal radhaz alarms and all you need to do is explain that you're carrying radioactive materials. Throw in the bit about WMDs and minimum wage Mike is sure to wave you through. Or shoot you.

BT's retirement home for old Trimphones is one of the biggest radioactive materials dumps in Wales. They can't bury them and they're too expensive to reprocess.

Get a Traser watch. It's "self powered" and will glow in the dark for years. That's due to radioactive tritium, the same stuff that used to make hydrogen bombs explode and BT Trimphones glow in the dark.

You'll definitely have no problem getting it past Homeland Security at any American airport. Set off one of their personal radhaz alarms and all you need to do is explain that you're carrying radioactive materials. Throw in the bit about WMDs and minimum wage Mike is sure to wave you through. Or shoot you.

BT's retirement home for old Trimphones is one of the biggest radioactive materials dumps in Wales. They can't bury them and they're too expensive to reprocess.
I've owned a couple of trasers, the tritium tubes fell of the hands on a bog standard one and a chronograph that kept breaking its strap while hitting people in fights in GUZ. I swapped it for a taxi fare one night and the taxi driver was so impressed with it he snapped the bracelet into its component parts and posted the lot (watch included) through my mates letter box followed by a pint of finest taxi driver piss. HAPPY DAYS

I stick with a G-shock these days

The illumination is amazing but trasers wear cheaply/scruffily very quickly and of course they’re too dainty on the wrist for me

Last edited:
The update is that I got a 2016 watch with 12 months left on the warranty for £340 from eBay - relisted due to a previous time waster.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
Anyone want to buy an '89 G10, RN markings, just had a new battery, non original NATO strap in orange?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I've had three; a non-issued RN T dial auto (long sold), an issued RN T dial quartz (long sold) and a black PVD L dial quartz SBS (current issue, but purchased from an MOD batch). It's heritage is a bit of a Frankenwatch. It has a Heuer (Monnin) case, Omega designed dial, accurate and generic ETA quartz movement and a 300m WR in quite a small unit. Any watchmaker can work on it.

The CWC auto diver replaced the Rolex Milsub in 1980, which changed to a quartz movement a short time later due to greater accuracy and robustness. They have remained pretty much unchanged since then with the occasional variant, the main one being the black PVD SBS day/date model which is the only current issue model to the MOD, although there are still legacy RN models in the system. The old T (Tritium) dial models had a tendency for the lume to crumble off the hands and markers but the new L (Luminova) dials are fairly solid.

As Dinger says it's functional, not decorative, and built purely for a military purpose. They are expensive to the public, probably marked up by CWC to keep prices low to the MOD in order to retain the contract. As a watch to wear in a sh1t hole instead of your Omega, it's a decent choice.

As a watch to wear in a shithole, may I recommend Timex. I bought two expeditions for £30. Almost ten years ago. For festivals (and reading in the really, really dark). Still going, apart from battery changes. Brilliant.

Yeah RN divers now get issued citizens, so cwc are really now chiming back to a long gone past.
Mr President,
Do you know when the RN began to source watches outside of CWC? do they (or the MOD) buy "off the shelf" or do they let contracts to the manufacturers?
Thanks,
F-M

As a watch to wear in a shithole, may I recommend Timex. I bought two expeditions for £30. Almost ten years ago. For festivals (and reading in the really, really dark). Still going, apart from battery changes. Brilliant.
I prefer not to fuel the Chinese economy unnecessarily. Plus I thought Timex were only used as timing devices for IEDs, hence the competitive price.

My recommendation is to avoid dropping below the quality of a G10 (for men). It is the absolute basic quality line for fine gents like us.

I’ve got a black CWC divers watch. Worked beautifully for a few years surviving all sorts being thrown at it. Died an inglorious death at 11 minutes to one after falling 3ft onto a ceramic bathroom floor tile.

742EC636-BEFC-42EA-8F6B-1EC233B4C8A8.jpeg
742EC636-BEFC-42EA-8F6B-1EC233B4C8A8.jpeg

I’ve got a black CWC divers watch. Worked beautifully for a few years surviving all sorts being thrown at it. Died an inglorious death at 11 minutes to one after falling 3ft onto a ceramic bathroom floor tile.

View attachment 326201 View attachment 326201
It's likely to be an easy fix such as a dislodged battery. Even if it needs a new movement they are fairly generic and only cost about 30 quid. Any watchmaker can fix it.