Watch Gurus - CWC Divers Watch - Owners Reviews

I'm liking the look of the CWC divers' watch & I'm tempted to save for one. Based on my G10 I'm assuming it'd be robust & reliable but if anyone has one I'd be grateful for their views.
Thanks
F-M

If I recall this properly, then this model has the "fat" hour hand which was a trifle off-putting to me...

Before you commit your savings to this model, have you considered Pilot's watches?

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Before you commit your savings to this model, have you considered Pilot's watches?
That's interesting. I didn't realise ole Pontius had started a watch-making company. You live and learn.:smile:

MsG

That's interesting. I didn't realise ole Pontius had started a watch-making company. You live and learn.:smile:

MsG
His sundials are a bugger to line up correctly....

His sundials are a bugger to line up correctly....
Reminds me of how the Romans would mark out their ( ever so straight) roads...

Get loads of blokes with flags / markers standing vaguely between the two points you wish to join by road, and they then move themselves into a straight line.

Stick markers into ground, you have your route.

Thanks for the tip. I'm considering it as a secondary watch to my Seamaster as I like the look of it. Thing is, it's not cheap so it needs to be reliable. I need it to be able to cope with wearing to work etc, withstanding the odd knock or bump.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had one in about 2001 and it broke. Not worth the money imho.
If I was you I'd get a decent seiko divers watch for the money
I use a cheap £20 Casio for diving.

There's always the somewhat cheaper MWC range

its about personal preferences, if the OP is looking at the CWC divers watch then that’s the style he prefers, but is concerned with its provenance.

I’ve never owned one myself, but I’d have no problems with purchasing one. You have to remember that the watch was designed and made to a military specification, for the specific purpose of diving, style won’t even have been a consideration.

You’ll get a good watch, to do what you want and at £500 we’ll worth it.

its about personal preferences, if the OP is looking at the CWC divers watch then that’s the style he prefers, but is concerned with its provenance.

I’ve never owned one myself, but I’d have no problems with purchasing one. You have to remember that the watch was designed and made to a military specification, for the specific purpose of diving, style won’t even have been a consideration.

You’ll get a good watch, to do what you want and at £500 we’ll worth it.
Thanks Dingerr. You've hit it bang on. I own a G10 which has been flawless so I want something that will be utterly reliable, easy to read & tough. A military spec watch from CWC I think should do the job & I like the look of the watch. £500 is a fair bit to lay out but as you say it will hopefully be worth it.

Had one in about 2001 and it broke. Not worth the money imho.
If I was you I'd get a decent seiko divers watch for the money
Just flogged two vintage Seiko divers, great watches, bullet proof and look good and chunky on my manly wrists

I've had three; a non-issued RN T dial auto (long sold), an issued RN T dial quartz (long sold) and a black PVD L dial quartz SBS (current issue, but purchased from an MOD batch). It's heritage is a bit of a Frankenwatch. It has a Heuer (Monnin) case, Omega designed dial, accurate and generic ETA quartz movement and a 300m WR in quite a small unit. Any watchmaker can work on it.

The CWC auto diver replaced the Rolex Milsub in 1980, which changed to a quartz movement a short time later due to greater accuracy and robustness. They have remained pretty much unchanged since then with the occasional variant, the main one being the black PVD SBS day/date model which is the only current issue model to the MOD, although there are still legacy RN models in the system. The old T (Tritium) dial models had a tendency for the lume to crumble off the hands and markers but the new L (Luminova) dials are fairly solid.

As Dinger says it's functional, not decorative, and built purely for a military purpose. They are expensive to the public, probably marked up by CWC to keep prices low to the MOD in order to retain the contract. As a watch to wear in a sh1t hole instead of your Omega, it's a decent choice.

I've had three; a non-issued RN T dial auto (long sold), an issued RN T dial quartz (long sold) and a black PVD L dial quartz SBS (current issue, but purchased from an MOD batch). It's heritage is a bit of a Frankenwatch. It has a Heuer (Monnin) case, Omega designed dial, accurate and generic ETA quartz movement and a 300m WR in quite a small unit. Any watchmaker can work on it.

The CWC auto diver replaced the Rolex Milsub in 1980, which changed to a quartz movement a short time later due to greater accuracy and robustness. They have remained pretty much unchanged since then with the occasional variant, the main one being the black PVD SBS day/date model which is the only current issue model to the MOD, although there are still legacy RN models in the system. The old T (Tritium) dial models had a tendency for the lume to crumble off the hands and markers but the new L (Luminova) dials are fairly solid.

As Dinger says it's functional, not decorative, and built purely for a military purpose. They are expensive to the public, probably marked up by CWC to keep prices low to the MOD in order to retain the contract. As a watch to wear in a sh1t hole instead of your Omega, it's a decent choice.
Thanks Walrusboy. Functional & reliable is my objective. As a bonus I don't find it unpleasant to look at.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have one as my daily wear/beater. Quartz w/day and date. It's been bashed around a lot and never missed a beat.