Watch accuracy

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by CrashTestDummy, May 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question for the watch aficionados, if you'd be so kind.

What loss of accuracy would be deemed satisfactory for a £100 watch?

I recently bought a Seiko automatic watch which is losing 30 secs + a day and this can't be satisfactory, surely.

2. I don't know what the acceptable limit should be but 30 secs is definately way too much. It needs to be sent back to be reconfigured (or whatever the technical watch term is)

3. If I paid a 100 quid for a watch, I would expect it to lose about 1 second a year. 30 seconds a day is far too much. Thats one lazy watch, send the bugger back.

4. Just viewed a watch forum on Seiko Automatic watches and the forum reconned that + or -

15 seconds a month was , in the begginging within normal parameters.

It would be a good idea to give it a month to settle down before you think of getting it regulated.

It is a living thing you know.

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

your watch instruction booklet should have a value in it for the accuracy that watch should meet. If it is outside this range then you need to get in touchw ith the seller or seiko direct.

the seiko website states the following for the Basic Caliber watch

S_R

6. The documentation that came with it should give an accuracy (usually seconds per month).

If you paid £100 for a new watch I would suggest that either:

It is a quartz watch and that is way outside acceptable tolerances - take it back.
    or
    It is a cheap knock off or a factory reject and you are lucky it works at all.

7. Many thanks for the replies, gents.

Manual, you say? Are we supposed to read that? ;-)

I've had it well over a month and I don't think my skin gives off enough heat to put it outside tolerances; I'll send it back.

Thanks again.

8. Assuming you've had it less than six months, the shop you bought it from have to repair replace or refund, unless they can prove that it is not faulty. Even after six months, it is still the seller's responsibility rather than the manufacturer's, though the onus is on you to show that the item was faulty at the time of purchase. Have a check of the documentation or the Seiko website for your specific model to see what the tolerance is, before the shopkeeper tries to pull the wool over your eyes.

9. I've emailed them and they're happy to refund, although he says about the >30 secs a day inaccuracy .....

10. For future reference, it's a SEIKO 5 ARMY WATCH that you can't stop the sweep hand on! If I'd known that before I bought I'd never have bothered.

Now to find another watch :roll:

11. Planet ocean is the future my friend!!

12. That's for pilots, this is for you:
    TIMEX US MILITARY WATCH

TIMEX US MILITARY WATCH

These military style watches are extremly popular. Now with a quartz movement, they are reliable and accurate. Made by Timex, a long-established watch manufacturer. Vietnam era style GI watch.

Price : £19.99

13. Not at those prices it fookin ain't! Planet 1043 is the way ahead. :)