Waste of Money

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by geordie-ted, Mar 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me why the 101st, "The Great Geordie Gunners". have now got a Bty in Leeds?
    Yes, we all Know the ridiculous story about losing HQ Bty, but why didn't we keep the Bty and just change roles to STA. after all most of the regular attenders were all ex RADAR troop anyway.
    269 Bty could have re roled to RE. The rest of 72 is in Yorkshire or there abouts.
    Now it looks like most of the old HQ Bty personnel have transferred across to the RE.
    All this in a time when we are supposed to be saving money.
    WELL I ASK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

The powers that be:? I have heard attendance in Leeds is dire
  3. Because of the same quality planning which led leeds to be rerole from OP Bty to Rapier FSB2, Rapier FSC, to STA in such a short time scale.
  4. msr

msr LE

And the re-role of 103 Regt from AD to Field at the same time!

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

There did used to be an artillery unit in Leeds I remeber them in Otterburn about 88 89 on their camp
    Has it replaced that?
  6. Yeah I know. Shouldn't be allowed how can West Riding class be added to a Northern Anglo-Saxon inferior unit
  7. And 202 Bty from field to AD to AAC
  8. I think you'll find that while 101 rejoice under the hard fought but yet informal soubriquet of 'Geordie Gunners' their official title is 101 (Northumbrian) Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers).

Now as any fule no, the Kingdom of Northumbria, at it's peak in the 9th Century, stretched from the Forth to the Humber (hence North-Humbria eh readers!) and easily encompassed Leeds within its borders:

So it's simply a matter of the Northumbrian Gunners being united for the first time!

As to the wisdom of multiple role changes and the suitability/utility/TA friendliness of various RA equipments, that is a question for another day and another round of cuts, sorry, strategic defence review.
  9. 202 Bty has had a similar 'Trippe to Jerusalem' to 269 Bty, being re-roled a number of time in living memory, hence lots of piccies of FH-70 in the bar.

Converting the battery to 677 Sqn AAC (V) has at least placed it conveniently close to its Regular sponsors in Wattisham and a small tranche of reservists are to deploy in-role 'sausage side' in the near future.
  10. Until Danish Mercia and its motherland crushed their arrse's and established the Danelaw.

p.s. If 269 is anything like 49 Sig Sqn and 34 Sig Regt, it will provide officers and SNCO's for other batteries within 101.