Wasps and Flies

Get yerself a decent wing mirror spider, ours is called “Dave”. Forearm tats and everything...does a bit of ‘door work’ etc.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Get yerself a decent wing mirror spider, ours is called “Dave”. Forearm tats and everything...does a bit of ‘door work’ etc.
I've got a spider that lives above the rear view. I saw it when it was but a tiny wee thing, decided to keep it and it's now fucking massive. Just sits above the rear view, occasionally patrols to either door and back again. Permanent stag. Poor bastard.

No flies, wasps, bears or lions however.

Legend.

Mossies are temperature-sensitive it seems. I had to climb a ski run recently to get to a reservoir to do a hazard assessment for work( no drive or fly-in)

It was a 200 meter hike at a steady 16degree incline that ended up 57 meters above our starting point.

No mossies at the start line. F 'kin thousands of them (in clouds I tells ya) at the top. I got zapped everywhere the spray hadnt landed.

The holes in the air brick on the outside wall are very small. If I turned the fan on the wasps would just be pinned up against the air brick until I switched it off again.
Which implies holes in the air brick on the inside wall are very small too. Thus, if you turned the fan on the wasps would not be able to fly in. They will leave if you leave fan On.

Who is the loon who fitted extractor over air-brick instead of replacing? Quick fix - hammer and chisel - open up exterior side of air-brick. Once wasps gone fit gravity cover.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Which implies holes in the air brick on the inside wall are very small too. Thus, if you turned the fan on the wasps would not be able to fly in. They will leave if you leave fan On.

Who is the loon who fitted extractor over air-brick instead of replacing? Quick fix - hammer and chisel - open up exterior side of air-brick. Once wasps gone fit gravity cover.
Think the air brick was put in at the time the house was built. Always wondered why they did that. Googling gravity cover, it depends on whether I can find one the same size as the hole that will be vacated by the air brick....

Think the air brick was put in at the time the house was built. Always wondered why they did that. Googling gravity cover, it depends on whether I can find one the same size as the hole that will be vacated by the air brick....
Have a look at the fan. How big is the fans' exhaust? Bang or drill a hole a bit bigger than the fan exhaust in the outside wall. I'd use a hammer drill and a 1/2inch masonry bit.
Then buy and install a gravity/drop cover, big enough to go over the hole youve made in the outside wall. (The cover can be bigger than the hole but that doesn't matter, as all its doing is keeping flies and stuff out).

Job jobbed!

blunt scalpel

War Hero
I got one of these a while back

Great fun for having a go at the little sods with. 3000 volts through the bars when you press the thumb button. All but the biggest blue bottles die instantly with a satisfying blue flash and loud crack. The big ones get stunned and start "break dancing" on their back. simply pick them up, put them on the grille, or should that be grill, thumb the button and watch the little sod ride the lightning.....yes I am an old Metallica fan.

I'm quite looking forward the the daddy longlegs season this year.

pinback2001

Old-Salt
Banging a nail into the shed yesterday to tighten the latch. Think there must have been a wasps nest just inside the door as I was immediately surrounded by the wee barstewards. Dropped the hammer and ran for the house, and managed to limit my stings to three

I had a wasps nest in the cupboard thing that houses the Gas Meter.

Waited until it got dark and blasted a whole can of Raid through the keyhole. No more wasps.

Shitload of wasp grubs for fishing though.

pinback2001

Old-Salt
I had a wasps nest in the cupboard thing that houses the Gas Meter.

Waited until it got dark and blasted a whole can of Raid through the keyhole. No more wasps.

Shitload of wasp grubs for fishing though.
Do they become inactive in the dark? Useful to know

gorillaguts981

Old-Salt
Ever wondered why horseflies hurt so much. Built for chomping through hair and thick hide so you are a blancmange. They have two cutting blades to open a slot which they pump with anticoagulant and mop out the blood. I hate 'em with a passion. I always get like a boil when bit.
horsefly mouth.jpg

Salt Gun Insect Killer Bug A Buster 3.0

Bit pricey though. I was going to load an air rifle with salt and try that, but never got around to it.
You don't need to put salt in it. Or a pellet.

Just cock the air rifle and aim it at them, the closer the better.

The air pressure will blow their legs and wings off. Great fun, especially if they are flying around a light and you can kill lots of them.

Little bastards.

gorillaguts981

Old-Salt
I've been looking for an excuse to get a .22 CO2 pistol. Do they have enough power when firing empty to dismember the average Asian Hornet? I've found two in the last year and apparently we are a hotspot in Glos.

dontenn

War Hero
Human attitude towards our insects is brill, if it flies or its going to cause human distress without understan
ding the insects habits is KILL IT. No wonder we have problems with our wildlife.

DT
BeeKeeper

We don't kill bees.

Flies and wasps are a waste of evolutionary effort.

Tread on a hornet with just socks on and you will change your attitude to the little bastards.

Fire is the only thing they understand. Kill them with fire. Burn them. Kill them all, let their God sort them out. Burn, bastard, burn. Die in screaming agony you little fuckers.

(Sorry. Got a bit carried away there)

Latest Threads