Wasps and Flies

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
They may be tree bumblebees which nest in holes several feet off the ground. I have them each year in different parts of the house or garage and have never had a problem with them, even when they were nesting under the fascia above the front door. The colony usually dies out by the end of July or into August so you shouldn't have to put up with them for long. If they come in through the open window they'll find their way out again if it's open wide enough, without bothering you. They're not interested in you, only the warm dry space behind your fan vent.

The little creatures are having a tough time of it due to pesticides and a reduction in food sources so if you can persuade your missus that they mean her no harm, they'd be grateful I'm sure.

You don't have to worry about the nest in the fan either as once they bees had died off it will dry out to become dust in the wind. I haven't had them nesting in the same place twice so you probably won't get them back next year.

Before you nuke them with fire, maybe contact the local beekeeper's association for a proper identification. Photo below, but yours might appear darker as their ginger fur rubs off as they get old.

Some interesting and useful info below on their lifestyle and cycle, plus how to live amicably with them:

Tree Bumblebee Bombus hypnorum - Bumblebee Conservation Trust

The Bumblebee Conservation Trust are collecting data on how common tree bumblebee nests are in tumble drier vents so you could let them know about yours as the extractor fan is pretty much the same thing as far as the bees are concerned.
CivvyLurker I hear you loud and clear. I have had these tree bumblebees in my garden several times before. The ones in the extractor fan vent are not wasps, but they are not anything like those bumblebees in your photograph either. They have no hairs on them and they appear to be truncated in two halves similar to a wasp, very dark in colour with no visible pattern or stripes, and a shiny sort of sheen to their abdomen.

Either way your plea for clemency on their behalf came too late, whatever they are, the deed has been done with the spray. I don't feel good about it, but it is a pain in the backside everytime you go in the bathroom not knowing what you will encounter and not being to open the window when having a shower, or a number 2.

CivvyLurker I hear you loud and clear. I have had these tree bumblebees in my garden several times before. The ones in the extractor fan vent are not wasps, but they are not anything like those bumblebees in your photograph either. They have no hairs on them and they appear to be truncated in two halves similar to a wasp, very dark in colour with no visible pattern or stripes, and a shiny sort of sheen to their abdomen.

Either way your plea for clemency on their behalf came too late, whatever they are, the deed has been done with the spray. I don't feel good about it, but it is a pain in the backside everytime you go in the bathroom not knowing what you will encounter and not being to open the window when having a shower, or a number 2.
Got a photo? It'd be interesting to know what they were.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Har dee har.

He can winkle a dead creature out of his vent and take a photo.

Make of that what you will.
I'm not winkling fuckall out of nothing until at least December, these fcuckers can still sting when they are dead so I've heard.

Londo

LE
Bumblebees are the pandas of the bee world and not aggressive at all so one can ignore them. They only sting as a last resort and will wave it's middle legs at a threat as a "go away, I am pïssed off" signal.
I have a large hebe bush in the garden . Love watching the hundreds of bumble bees swarming it plus a few honey bees . Even better is watching the bumble bees pollinating the flowers on my runner beans , good girls .

Last edited:

Londo

LE
I wont forget last summer when my gas BBQ went tits up so I thought no problem Iv'e got that old charcoal BBQ under that cover and some charcoal to go with it , dragged it into position , lifted the lid and lo and behold it was filled with a wasps nest . Slammed the lid shut and did a good impersonation of a gazelle . Still catching my breath :-D

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
I wont forget last summer when my gas BBQ went tits up so I thought no problem Iv'e got that old charcoal BBQ under that cover and some charcoal to go with it , dragged it into position , lifted the lid and lo and behold it was filled with a wasps nest . Slammed the lid shut and did a good impersonation of a gazelle . Still catching my breath :-D
Weich ei...

Londo

LE
Weich ei...
Did a runner as twice in the long distant past I had disturbed wasps nests been swarmed and had more than a few stings . A single wasp buzzing around doesn't worry me , a swarm I will double off quick .

I have posted my sage advice before on how to deal with a wasp nest. Just tap at it with a small stick. The noise scares them and they all fly away.

1563877920757.png

Talking of which, Jake the hound had an encounter with one the other day. It may be known but they occasionally take a rest and it's vital they're not trodden on. Jake the hound suddenly buries his nose into a tussock of grass, inhales deeply, leaps back, Nose goes all twitchy and starts sneezing fit to bust-seven eight, then sits down lets out a snort and one flew straight out of his nose, hits a convenient post, shakes itself down and then lifts off.

Bee's of every shape and form in the garden and meadows here with only the crazy Collie snapping at them ....
As others have said Bumble Bees are cuddly and all the other bees we have will leave you alone as a sting means death to them .

Wasps are not such an issue although we do get underground nests in the wood and garden . if they are the sting first ask questions later type as some can be then a bit of petrol mixed with diesel and some polystyrene dissolved in the mix poured down and over the entrance and ignited soon sorts them
Recently became the world record holder for reversing a ride on lawn mower after disturbing a Hornets nest in the pile of grass clippings....... I got stung twice on the wrist before realising what had happened .....hit reverse and escaped .

Mentioned to wife about the nest and we went back some 2 hours later to investigate as it was in one of the bits of field the kids and dogs play in .
Wife stood and watched the giant buggers coming and going for 15 mins or so and they had returned to the normally docile things Hornets are......I walked up to her and within seconds was stung again twice more on the same arm , this to me confirms that they must leave some kind of chemical marker when they sting .

Still have a small lump on my wrist over a week later .
That night the Badger found the nest .....dug it out and Hornets left .

Niamac

GCM
I was on top of Ben Lomond on a very warm summer's day along with about 40 others.

My companion asked "What's this big wasp beside me?"

"Oh, that's a hornet." I replied and in an instant the peak was cleared.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Seconds out Round 5 ding ding.

It has been three days since I engaged in open warfare with these buzzy stingy things in the extractor fan. So far not had much success trying to spray the nuky stuff from a distance of ten yards into the air brick through which these things fly in and out.

Activity has decreased somewhat, so before they got chance to regroup, tonight after three glasses of Malbec I decided it was time to 'man the fcuk up' and get the ladders out.

Having spent all of 2 seconds conducting a risk assessment, angle of incline of ladders, potential landing points if tipped backwards, I climbed the ladders and aimed the nozzle straight into the holes in the air brick. Detail "unload" ladders away, feet up in front of the tele.

Recconnaisance trip planned for tomorrow morning. All being well should be able to switch the fan back on around December time....dum de dum...

All being well should be able to switch the fan back on around December time....dum de dum...
It's an Extractor Fan, it will blow them outside not into bathroom.

What prevents you from turning it On?

I have posted my sage advice before on how to deal with a wasp nest. Just tap at it with a small stick. The noise scares them and they all fly away.
Don't forget to cover yourself in jam as camouflage. The wasps will think you are a picnic and fly off looking for the human that whacked their home.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
Had a colony of Tree Bumblebees in the tumble drier vent this year, no problems at all, they did their thing we did our, all gone now. Bumblebee Conservation Trust Here for lots of info.

I found a large (football plus) sized wasps nest in the loft and showed it to Mrs N. "I'll fix that" she muttered. Come the late evening she got out the vacuum cleaner with the long extension and spent about 5 minutes sucking the entire thing wasps and all into the machine. A long squirt of fly killer into the running machine and then blocked up the hose.

The wasps never knew what hit them.

I was impressed but there again I often am by my better half.
Many years ago a housemate worked at Hoover's in Perivale. One day an old cylinder type vacuum cleaner came in which looked like it had been at Nagasaki.
Seems someone had the same idea as your wife and vacuumed up a large best to the extent that when they turned it off they could hear them buzzing inside and were crawling back out.

What to do? Can't leave it permanently sucking. So genius owner had a solution (a final solution even). 'I know - I'll gas 'em'. So turned the gas hob on, put the vacuum hose next to it and let it run... which it did until the gas reached the electricity.

Blew the cylinder end off and the vacuum bag apart sending the now singed and wingless wasps all over the kitchen like a large bag of raisins.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
It's an Extractor Fan, it will blow them outside not into bathroom.

What prevents you from turning it On?
The holes in the air brick on the outside wall are very small. If I turned the fan on the wasps would just be pinned up against the air brick until I switched it off again.

wheel

LE
I had been driving up the motorway for at least 90 minutes today when a effin great fly starts buzzing around the motor. Work that one out.

Latest Threads