Wasp Allergy

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mike2008, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, thanks for your time. I'm in the process of filling in the application forms in order to join, and noticed that 'Severe allergic reactions and/or anaphylaxis' are included in the Allergies section.

I'm allergic to wasps. If i get stung the area will be swollen and tender for a couple of days after. In the case of my hand it swelled up and felt like a bears paw, i still could use it for light tasks (but couldn't close it fully).

When i have been to A&E about it i've been prescribed over the counter antihistamines that you can buy in ASDA, Boots etc.

No mention was made of any need for an adrenaline pen when i was in hospital. When i was chatting to my Careers Advisor i mentioned it and he didn't say anything to indicate it would be a problem.

Does anyone have a clue as to how this will affect my medical?
    Cheers, Mike
  2. Mate I warn you now, this topic is going to get the sh*t ripped out of it! I don't think your allergic, everyone swells up when they've been stung don't they?
  3. Erm i dunno.. ;-l

When i was a kid i got stung in my left arm and it ended up being put in a sling if that counts.

Not sure if it's normal to have as much swelling as i seem to.. Hope it is though! Harsh as that sounds...
  4. I don't know anyone who isn't "allergic to wasps" in all honesty. Sure you aren't just a bit of a hypochondriac?
  5. Hahahahaha well i'm the only one i know unlucky enough to be stung to be honest. Beginning to lighten up about it now however.
  6. Hi Mike,

I get the same thing with wasps, bees and mossies.

I really swell up and have been very close to having my throat close up in the past, I too have never been told about the adrenaline pen.

I once had a bite on my forearm and over night it had swollen so much my whole arm was the same thickness all the way down.

I don't know what you should do about the forms, but just wanted you to know that you're not the only one!!!
  7. :p couple of tips
    1. carry a tin of batmans anti-wasp spray
    2. when you go for your medical go in the winter so not of the stripey cnuts are about!!
    3. dont rub yourself in honey
    4. dont go near a wasp nest
    5. dont pi55 off the "who's ya daddy" wasp.
    6. when you go on ex dress up as a giant wasp and the other wasps will respect you.
    7. get a grip on life, if your scared of wasps then what you going to do when you come across camel spiders!!! them fcukers eat you.

8. Cheers stab, glad of the reassurance.
  9. camel spiders!!!?
  10. a ha ha ha ha ha 8)
    I thought cherantchulas(spelling) were the biggest spiders...
    That is insane, huge cnuts! And i'm arachnaphobic... :cry:
  12. there are actually two in the pic, one cnut is chomping on to another cnut.
  13. That is just wrong! 8O
  14. Don't even fecking mention it