Wasnt sure where to post this...

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sandbanks, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title says I wasn't sure where to post this as it could quite easily sit in the TA forum, or I could have turned it over to the 'Walt-hunters' but thought I would try here first.

Last night I was at Earls Court station and saw a Commando Gunner officer in uniform (combats, beret etc) waiting for the Wimbledon train. Unfortunately his arms were crossed so I never got to see what rank he was and as I was about to go up to him and introduce myself his train arrived.

The badges he was wearing on his uniform were the commando dagger (red on blue) on the left arm and on the right he had para wings. So far so good. Above the dagger he had a badge that I had not seen before which made me think if he was in the TA and prompted this post.
    The badge was square with a black background. On it was a red sword pointing upwards, passing through what looked like a turret of a fort. Can anyone i.d. this badge as I have never seen this before during my time at 29?

The reason why I might have turned it over to the walthunters is because he had no Brigade TRF on his right arm and he was wearing a green plastic belt when I would have expected the regimental stable belt. Other pointers was that he wasn't very tanned for someone whose regiment has just got back from the 'Stan (although he did have 'Families Officer' stamp about him) . So if we know what that badge is then everything may become clear.
  2. i think you will find its a London District formation Badge
  3. Fleet Protection Group?

Edit: Subdued version here: http://www.crestinsignia.co.uk/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=74
  4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

London District TRF
  5. Befeater, para-medic & GQ - that's absolutely the badge he was wearing. So I know throw myself at your greater knowledge with these questions:

i) was it worn on the correct arm, I guess if he was away from Brigade duties he wouldn't have a 3CDO Brigade TRF if working within London District?
    ii) what unit/sub unit would he have belonged to? Looking at his appearance/age I guess he could have been CVHQ if that organisation still exists.
    iii) don't all Army Commandos now wear shoulder flashes stating the fact?

6. I'm looking at one right now who isn't.
  7. To be honest it always smacked of 'badge collecting'. Green Beret - check, Commando Badge - check. Then it became Commando TRF, then Army Commando shoulder flashes. OK, we get the idea......
  8. rasselas

rasselas Swinger Book Reviewer

Presumably he could be posted to any of the poor bastard units who are currently preparing to go on Ops while also doing their London District bits and bobs and who have the ballache of having different shirts depending on whether they're on exercise with the brigade they're deploying with or back inside the M25 under the eyes of the Brigade Major.

What larks!