WashPost - As British Leave, Basra Deteriorates

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by winnfield, Aug 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A wider political context to the 'Welcome to Basra' thread:

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

The British have basically been defeated in the south," a senior U.S. intelligence official said recently in Baghdad

Dosen't take long for the fingers to be pointed does it?
    Is this the excuses starting?
    We could have held Iraq if it qasn't for the Brits
    I think basically the septics will be defeated elsewhere to
    The minute you hand over to the Iraqies it all goes Pete Tong so what will the US do?
    Once they start handing over and pulling back they will be in the exact same position or are they staying there forever?
  3. Ask Ljonesy, he has an answer for everything and is quite adept at Brit bashing especially as the USofA are so good at everything.
  4. Maybe until the oil runs out... Then hopefully they'll crack on with slaughtering each other
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The article is pretty accurate, as far as I can tell - though I admit to being a bit out of touch with the local goings-on at least.

But - this is what happens when you try to fight 2 wars with 1 (small) Army. To maintain progress in Basra (and in Maysan Province as well) would have needed us to keep a Division there - which we cannot do. Now, we simply do not hae sufficient forces on the ground to impose our will. One big base = one big target, and an equally big lack of local knowledge. At least the Yanks are trying a 'surge' - we didn't, probably because we couldn't. Our Armed Forces are simply inadequate to complete the task while conducting a major campaign in Afghanistan..
  6. OSnowy - how very true, our forces have become a defence force not able to keep sustained action running. Thanks to the Blair legacy...
  7. In Saddams time he maintained an entire Army Corps in Maysan, we maintained 500 people. Of course things aren't going to go well there!

In Basra, the problem lies with the local battle for control and influence. Short of killing all the locals and putting tame puppets in place, I fail to see how we can influence the locals. It is a lost cause for local reasons, not due to any lack of effort on HM Forces part.
  8. Politically yes, militarily no.
  9. Gordon has got a plan, leave so few troops there they can effect nothing, and have difficulty protecting themselves while at the same time taking casualties daily for no discernable gain.

Labour Foreign "policy" , not utterly utterly useless, not one bit, I'd like to quash that rumour right now.
  10. You have to remember too, since word got out that you guys were pulling out (and moving to Afghanistan, this American knows the deal) the insurgents amassed in Basra to do the ol' "we kicked em out" routine, which they did not succeed at.

Besides, how can you lose when you really had no objective in the first place?

You guys did a good job down there, and I for one would like to thank any of you that served there for sticking with us even in this current stupidity.

Don't let any journo, American or otherwise tell you different.

The current statements are simply American politicians. Remember there's an election next year, and if Obama gets in office, maybe we'll all meet in Pakistan this time next year.
  11. msr

msr LE

I'd like to quash that rumour right now.
  12. It doesnt matter how long we stay there, the end outcome will be the same.
    I wont compare this to OP banner, because that was in the uk..but it did last 38 years. This has been going on 4 years now ( Iraq) and is in the middle east...these people have been fighting forever for one thing or another.

The one thing I know though is that the place isnt worth any death of any coalition soldier and I really think now is the time to with draw..wheter we call it a win or not.

And if Gordoan Brown says we need to stay til the job is done, well bloody well send him and the rest of the 'Failure' party and see if they can get the job done any quicker.
  13. Smacks to me of trying to shame us (or similar) into staying in Iraq. It would be cynical to suggest that this article was politically motivated :)
  14. So, maybe there some common ground here. Apparently American politicians are untrustworthy and will say anything to stay in power or win an election.

And there's me thinking it was a purely British phenomenon....
  15. Alas we have crappy politicians in commen... once in a blue moon an actual leader comes forward but most of the time, we have to make do with identical except for rhetoric idiots that are presented to us for voting by the two major parties.