Washing and maintenence of combat clothing. (IRR etc.)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Oct 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many years ago I was told that the optical brighteners in most washing powders gave a brighter IR reflection than was desirable on combat clothing and that they should be avoided or clothing dry cleaned.

Of course back then the uniform was cotton for its fire-retardant properties. (Which always struck me as a good thing!) The current uniform seems to be polycotton (?) and states on the care label "Do not dry clean"

How should it be cared for to maintain the correct IRR standard? What washing powder should be used?

2. You are the only person I have ever known who gives a fcuk about the IRR properties of military clothing!

As to your question, I don't know.

3. WTF!!!!!!

4. I find all sorts of odd things interesting! :)

5. Washing instructions are printed on the issue kit mate. As for which brand... I suspect a wah! :roll: :wink:

6. The label says nothing about washing powder. ;)

7. Speaking as a bird, and therefore an expert in all things laundry related :D surely if it doesn't STATE a specific type of washing powder then its ok to use any?

8. Just use pure soap flakes; the IRR will fade or wash out eventually but using Daz will take it right out. Or you could try the Nikwax Gore-tex washing stuff on your field jacket etc to keep it a bit more waterproof.

If you're so concerned about IRR, what are you going to do about your face and all that hot air you breathe out?

9. I think you're confusing IR with TI.... ;)

10. I was under the impression they were the same thing, or very similar :?

11. find a river with a rock...dunk the clothing you wish to wash into the river.....smash the clothing against the rock.

12. Why worry yourself ? Your chances of getting it dirty enough to warrant a wash are as likely as you are to ever watch an Afghan sunrise.

13. epic fail

14. It's been washed plenty already thanks.

15. Staaaaaaand still the front rank.

CSM: Why haven't you pressed or washed your uniform Cpl PA!??!?!?!?!!!!
    PA: To preserve my clothings IR capabilities, and therefore make me a more capable soldier Sir.
    CSM: Oh......my bad. Good turn out.
    PA: Thank you Sir

8O