• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Washing and maintenence of combat clothing. (IRR etc.)

#1
Many years ago I was told that the optical brighteners in most washing powders gave a brighter IR reflection than was desirable on combat clothing and that they should be avoided or clothing dry cleaned.

Of course back then the uniform was cotton for its fire-retardant properties. (Which always struck me as a good thing!) The current uniform seems to be polycotton (?) and states on the care label "Do not dry clean"

How should it be cared for to maintain the correct IRR standard? What washing powder should be used?
 
L

Lizard_Lips

Guest
#3
EX_STAB said:
Many years ago I was told that the optical brighteners in most washing powders gave a brighter IR reflection than was desirable on combat clothing and that they should be avoided or clothing dry cleaned.

Of course back then the uniform was cotton for its fire-retardant properties. (Which always struck me as a good thing!) The current uniform seems to be polycotton (?) and states on the care label "Do not dry clean"

How should it be cared for to maintain the correct IRR standard? What washing powder should be used?
WTF!!!!!!
 
#4
Fallschirmjager said:
You are the only person I have ever known who gives a fcuk about the IRR properties of military clothing!

As to your question, I don't know.
I find all sorts of odd things interesting! :)
 
#7
Speaking as a bird, and therefore an expert in all things laundry related :D surely if it doesn't STATE a specific type of washing powder then its ok to use any?
 
#8
Just use pure soap flakes; the IRR will fade or wash out eventually but using Daz will take it right out. Or you could try the Nikwax Gore-tex washing stuff on your field jacket etc to keep it a bit more waterproof.

If you're so concerned about IRR, what are you going to do about your face and all that hot air you breathe out?
 
#9
Bravo_Zulu said:
Just use pure soap flakes; the IRR will fade or wash out eventually but using Daz will take it right out. Or you could try the Nikwax Gore-tex washing stuff on your field jacket etc to keep it a bit more waterproof.

If you're so concerned about IRR, what are you going to do about your face and all that hot air you breathe out?
I think you're confusing IR with TI.... ;)
 
#10
EX_STAB said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
Just use pure soap flakes; the IRR will fade or wash out eventually but using Daz will take it right out. Or you could try the Nikwax Gore-tex washing stuff on your field jacket etc to keep it a bit more waterproof.

If you're so concerned about IRR, what are you going to do about your face and all that hot air you breathe out?
I think you're confusing IR with TI.... ;)
I was under the impression they were the same thing, or very similar :?
 
#12
EX_STAB said:
Many years ago I was told that the optical brighteners in most washing powders gave a brighter IR reflection than was desirable on combat clothing and that they should be avoided or clothing dry cleaned.

Of course back then the uniform was cotton for its fire-retardant properties. (Which always struck me as a good thing!) The current uniform seems to be polycotton (?) and states on the care label "Do not dry clean"

How should it be cared for to maintain the correct IRR standard? What washing powder should be used?
Why worry yourself ? Your chances of getting it dirty enough to warrant a wash are as likely as you are to ever watch an Afghan sunrise.
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#13
Bravo_Zulu said:
EX_STAB said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
Just use pure soap flakes; the IRR will fade or wash out eventually but using Daz will take it right out. Or you could try the Nikwax Gore-tex washing stuff on your field jacket etc to keep it a bit more waterproof.

If you're so concerned about IRR, what are you going to do about your face and all that hot air you breathe out?
I think you're confusing IR with TI.... ;)
I was under the impression they were the same thing, or very similar :?
epic fail
 
#14
reni_77 said:
EX_STAB said:
Many years ago I was told that the optical brighteners in most washing powders gave a brighter IR reflection than was desirable on combat clothing and that they should be avoided or clothing dry cleaned.

Of course back then the uniform was cotton for its fire-retardant properties. (Which always struck me as a good thing!) The current uniform seems to be polycotton (?) and states on the care label "Do not dry clean"

How should it be cared for to maintain the correct IRR standard? What washing powder should be used?
Why worry yourself ? Your chances of getting it dirty enough to warrant a wash are as likely as you are to ever watch an Afghan sunrise.
It's been washed plenty already thanks.
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#15
Staaaaaaand still the front rank.

CSM: Why haven't you pressed or washed your uniform Cpl PA!??!?!?!?!!!!
PA: To preserve my clothings IR capabilities, and therefore make me a more capable soldier Sir.
CSM: Oh......my bad. Good turn out.
PA: Thank you Sir

8O
 
#16
PrinceAlbert said:
Staaaaaaand still the front rank.

CSM: Why haven't you pressed or washed your uniform Cpl PA!??!?!?!?!!!!
PA: To preserve my clothings IR capabilities, and therefore make me a more capable soldier Sir.
CSM: Oh......my bad. Good turn out.
PA: Thank you Sir

8O
:D
 
#18
In order to abide exactly to most TA recruits doctrine;

Do not wash your kit, or iron it, or wear it correctly and always call Warrant Officers "mate".

Instead of losing sweat over a particular brand of washing powder you should be concentrating on losing weight.
 
#20
urban_spaceman said:
Give it to the wife and let her worry about what effing powder she should use!!!!!!!!
You don't really think that a man who worries about which washing powder produces the least IR dazzle is anything other than single do you?
 

Latest Threads