washer fault

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Grumblegrunt, Mar 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

got a candy dqw 150 about 8 years old which just runs and runs without any issue beyond coins in the drain impeller and a door seal - until last night anyway.

it tripped the electrics on a final spin so at least my wash got done but today its defunct - the program timer will spin around and it will fill and drain but not spin or agitate.

my assumption is the controller board has tripped something but want a second opinion if anyone else is handy that way.

brushes are borderline so ordered some more anyway and see what that does.
  2. Obviously need a new washer..

Time to speak to your divorce lawyer IMHO!
  3. See Candy, that's why mine went last week.
  4. Take the motor off and check the carbons cos if they are worn it will not spin or agitate, They are only around £10 and its a fairly simple diy task, Candy parts are Hoover.
  5. witsend

witsend Old-Salt Book Reviewer

First thing I would check would be that the drum is free to spin. Is it siezed, belt in place etc etc

Second thing would be a google search for a manual. The amount of times I've be told something works like this, only to read the manual and find out I've been told a total load of bollocks.

I'm not saying your PCB might not be defective, but start at the beginning with the easy checks. Any internal breakers/switches/fuses. Connections tight on the motor. Any damage to the motor etc etc

Good luck.

£20 and she's yours! I'll even throw in the Mrs to sweeten the deal if dashing chap is finished with her. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. A washing machine repair man once confided in me that 90% of all the "faults" were due to the brushes wearing low. So if that's right then you could find that just changing the brushes cures your problem...
  7. That's what my dad used to do, change them or file them flat at the end I think, hoovers were the same.
  8. Grumblegrunt

well its the motor controller that went pop 35 quid for an exchange one. interestingly I plumbed in a hotpoint the neighbours had had trouble with and were throwing away as he said there was smoke and such - being dramatic.

awfull row at full spin as the drum bearings had gone. looked it up it should and could be a simple fix but they weld the drum together so you cant fix it then use too small bearings which wear out too soon. its two years old. dropping the spin speed however made it quieter so we could use it while I waited for the bits to turn up.

my candy I can replace everything but the bearings in mine are huge.

the hotpoint is a nice machine, all digital displays and a top energy rating - it turns out if I pay hotpoint 120 quid they will come and fix it all in regardless, which might be worth doing as they are 460 quid new, and worth half that at least second hand. so I could fix it and sell it which would cover both repairs and leave some beer money behind. or run the newer one under warranty for a bit with mine in the shed for later.

candy and hotpoint are the same now but its interesting to read about the drum issues as there are very few machines you can fix the drums on now, even bosch and aeg are doing the cost cutting.

the energy thing is also interesting as my missus commented on the doubled wash times with the newer machine - according to the appliance forums it means you can use less powder and get a fresher cleaner wash at lower temperatures.

neighbour not impresssed when I told him he could have fixed his for a 120 quid as his missus spent 700 quid on a panasonic direct drive which did at least have a 5 year warranty.
  9. For a long time I've had this nagging doubt at the back of my mind that there's some kind of conspiracy going on with washing machines. I suspect that among the electronics is a device that counts how many cycles before a "fault" is switched on. If you pay for one of the "extended waranty" schemes then on a suitable visit the repair man clicks a switch, or keys in a code to give another set number of cycles. One day a manufacturer will bring out a machine that connects to the internet so they can monitor it and tweak it's performance (or non-performance) depending on how much you pay.

Does any industry insider have any experience of this kind of trickery?
  10. Grumblegrunt I have a hotpoint washer and from the noises its started making it needs a new bearing. I rang to local white goods trader and his advice was to replace the whole washer, shame really.

So Im waiting on my new Indesit IWE81281 to come.
  11. Grumblegrunt

yep but is the washer cheaper than the 120 quid to repair it from hotpoint? a private repair shop will have to charge a few hundred for the drum and a few hundred labour so the official way works out cheaper for once. if its over 4 years old then its 130 quid. over 8 and you should be able to fix it yourself with a hammer.

I'd also look up who makes what now as you might wind up with the same problem. next door reckons he had his on twice a day and with a young kid that's possible but unlikely. here we average one wash a week per person I reckon but have had it where one wash a day wasn't uncommon and I've done non stop washing all day as has the missus when she loses track of whats laundry and whats clean due to her amazing disorganisational skillset.

when you look at what they used to use which were akin to car wheel bearings and what they use now which are little bigger than bicycle bearings its hardly surprising they fail so easily.

motor bearings are even smaller and they fail as well with the same horrendous noises so the only way to tell properly is pop the belt off and spin the drum. if its really bad then you can give the drum a shake from the inside and hear it clunk.

its fascinating reading the stuff from the independant repair men on their forums.
  12. Grumblegrunt

old machines were designed to just run on the if it aint broke then it wont need fixing philosophy. a simple mechanically driven and controlled machine can give 30+ years of service which is why your mums machine is allways remembered with fondness. I wish I'd repaired our previous machine as it was better built than either of the two we've got sat here at the moment. I wasn't as tinkery 10 years ago nor the internet as helpfull.

now like most things they build a 2-5 year life span into them which in the case of washers is an average of 2000 cycles according to radio 4 anyway. a meile or industrial specced machine is 10-20,000 cycles.

extended warranties have proven to be a big con probably the best thing to do nowadays is check your bank account and credit cards to see if they do a free extended warranty on goods bought with their card. rbs give you an extra year.

next door bought a new panasonic direct drive with a 5 year parts and labour warranty which is probably a good thing as direct drive are quieter but no more reliable than the older belt driven machines.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grumblegrunt

well I got a good control board from someone and its not that so I am looking at the thermal overload cutout inside the motor which should cost a tenner to fix if I've got it right. done a seperate post on motors.

for the hoover I've found a second hand drum for 50 quid and I fancy giving it a go for educational purposes like the motor as the old one will become a garden/camp firebowl if I cant work out how if I can split the drum to get at the shoddy bearings to replace them and reseal the drum.
  14. Grumblegrunt

what a bastard of a job - swapping a drum over or taking one out to swap bearings should be a simple enough job as the front comes off the washer - not this bastard, I had to lift the drum out the top and put the new in the same way.

the tw@ts.
  15. The tubs are the hardest to split the plastic ones are normally heat sealed, metal tubs are much better although sadly now found on older machines. Another issue I have come across is that the motor mounts shear off of the plastic tubs especially on Beko machines. Their drum and bearing may say they take 7kgs however the stress on the motor mount and belts are not up to it in my honest opinion. 7KG loads should be the exception not the norm.

A replacement tub however is the price of a new washing machine. I normally source spares from this website. They also offer tutorial videos as well for novices:

eSpares - Spare Parts & Accessories for Electrical Appliances

Outer bearings are semi easy to replace, however if its the internal one I normally recommend binning the washer after stripping it and parting it out for spares.

Lots of cut/grazed knuckles on the horizon if you are changing the tub and drum from the top/bottom.