Was the German SS Sleep March a Myth????

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Nehustan, Apr 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

At work today one of my colleagues was very tired, so I jokingly told him about something I was told many years ago in my youth. It concerned SS Commandos in WWII, and something called the 'Sleep March'...anyone heard of it and now whether its a myth or true? I'll tell you what I know of it as there's not much to go on. German SF would place their arms on the person infront of them while in rank & file, lower their head, and were trained to continue a 'reflexive' march dependent on the man infront, thus managing to rest themselves to a degree. What do you reckon...fact or fiction????

2. absolute Boll*cks

the Human body cant, cant do that on its own. if your a sleep walker then your in with a chance. otherwise put simply NO.

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

So possibly a propaganda tool to effect a mythological 'aura' around the SS commados, as in they can keep going 24/7, thus get anywhere?

(P.S. I'm not sure it was suggesting REM sleep.)

4. good idea i will tell recruits that one hours of fun .lol

5. though there are stories from Dunkirk of soldiers who had been marching so long that they fell asleep at the march and would wake up still marching....

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ahhh...maybe that's were it comes from, but the way it was recounted to me (maybe by a Chelsea Pensioner or it may have been someone else in the back of a 4-tonner) it was SS Commandos.

7. Anyway who are SS Commandos? Never heard of that unit....

8. Their boss was a guy called ''OTTO SKORZENY'' They were mainly Fallshimjager(para)
    after d-day they would drive around dressed as yanks generally causing mischief .
    A success of theirs was rescueing Mussolini from the mountains .

9. And then Michael Caine took them to kidnap Churchill...

P

10. Nah - Oberst Kurt Steiner was a goodie, not SS, as shown by his conversation near the beginning with the SS-General by the railroad: "You see Hans, I can always tell a thouroughgoing barsteward when I see one".

Oops, off topic.

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I thought the term Commando is the sense of the SS was a generic term implying special forces rather than a unit name.

12. I have seen someone fall asleep at the march . . . they fell over.

13. Isn't 'Kommando' in the German sense merely a generic term for team or detachment?

14. Still off-topic - not only was he a goodie, he was very brave too. I think he had the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds.

Who said political correctness was a new idea? :wink:

15. Yes.