Was the German SS Sleep March a Myth????

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
At work today one of my colleagues was very tired, so I jokingly told him about something I was told many years ago in my youth. It concerned SS Commandos in WWII, and something called the 'Sleep March'...anyone heard of it and now whether its a myth or true? I'll tell you what I know of it as there's not much to go on. German SF would place their arms on the person infront of them while in rank & file, lower their head, and were trained to continue a 'reflexive' march dependent on the man infront, thus managing to rest themselves to a degree. What do you reckon...fact or fiction????

absolute Boll*cks

the Human body cant, cant do that on its own. if your a sleep walker then your in with a chance. otherwise put simply NO.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
So possibly a propaganda tool to effect a mythological 'aura' around the SS commados, as in they can keep going 24/7, thus get anywhere?

(P.S. I'm not sure it was suggesting REM sleep.)

though there are stories from Dunkirk of soldiers who had been marching so long that they fell asleep at the march and would wake up still marching....

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Gunner_Troopie said:
though there are stories from Dunkirk of soldiers who had been marching so long that they fell asleep at the march and would wake up still marching....
Ahhh...maybe that's were it comes from, but the way it was recounted to me (maybe by a Chelsea Pensioner or it may have been someone else in the back of a 4-tonner) it was SS Commandos.

Their boss was a guy called ''OTTO SKORZENY'' They were mainly Fallshimjager(para)
after d-day they would drive around dressed as yanks generally causing mischief .
A success of theirs was rescueing Mussolini from the mountains .

piespies said:
paveway_3 said:
And then Michael Caine took them to kidnap Churchill...

P
Nah - Oberst Kurt Steiner was a goodie, not SS, as shown by his conversation near the beginning with the SS-General by the railroad: "You see Hans, I can always tell a thouroughgoing barsteward when I see one".

Oops, off topic.

Is_That_A_Wah said:
piespies said:
paveway_3 said:
And then Michael Caine took them to kidnap Churchill...

P
Nah - Oberst Kurt Steiner was a goodie, not SS, as shown by his conversation near the beginning with the SS-General by the railroad: "You see Hans, I can always tell a thouroughgoing barsteward when I see one".

Oops, off topic.
Still off-topic - not only was he a goodie, he was very brave too. I think he had the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds.

Who said political correctness was a new idea? :wink:

I think it is quite posible as there are many things that you can learn better while in a daze, hence why the army teaches in stuff class rooms that make you nearly fall asleep, but you still seem to remember the lesson clearly, even when you look at your notes and they are complete rubbbish and scribles trialing off at the end!!

it would be used in schools but too many hippies say it is the wrong way to teach and that it's wrong to implant things into the sub-conscience, but it worked for most of us in the army!!

If you ever go on a civiy course they would take years (could well be an exageration!) to teach you what you learned in 10 weeks basic training!

So maybe the SS were taught to march while sleeping, but I do think it is more likely to be propaganda!

There were SS Special Forces commanded by Skorzeny, known as the "SS-Jagdverbande" (apologise for the spelling, can't find umlauts on my PC). All people say is that the term translates into English roughly as Commando, but obviously the word Kommando means team or detachment in German.

For their achievments,see the rescue of Mussolini. Steiners lot were Luftwaffe Paratroopers or "Fallschirmjager", for some achievments see the invasion of Crete and the taking of a large fortress in Belgium in 1940.

Hope this helps,

Rab

Edited as I spelt Jagdverbande as Jadgverbande

"Kommando" in a German military context has no immediate connection to elite troops. The word comes from Afrikaans (Boer to be precise) and originates from that war with the British in the early 1900s.

Take for example Ersatzkommando. Scratch units of often low-grade paramilitary scum deployed to execute civilians. And so on.

Skorzeny's (in)famous US military police impersonators deployed during Wacht am Rhine enjoyed limited success. most were captured and executed.

Skorzeny himself was an intriguing cove, more adventurer and swashbuckler than die-hard nazi. Even he, however, couldn't march whilst fast asleep.

"SS-Jagdverbande"
My German is pish-poor...but that to me looks like it would translate very roughly into "Hunting Party or "Band of Hunters."

you know.......................... sometimes I think...

"I ain't going on ARRSE again, its getting boring"

..........then........each time...................I learn something and wanna stay!

Thanks

Latest Threads