Was Sun Tzi a Walt?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. USMarineX seems to think so,

I must say I had not considered the possibility, does anybody else have an opinion?
  2. Maybe he meant to say the Sun newspaper.
  3. I doubt it, I think USMC was refering to himself. Much of Sun Tsu stands even today in the world of technology. Also, I think it would be quite hard for Sun to be a walt as it is largely a compilation of writings.
  4. I suppose Sun Tzu was as much of a walt as that Clausewitz bloke was.
  5. Do I really have to explain why Sun Tzi was a walt, AJ? Or are you merely content to continue being a Chinese macaca, instead of thinking for yourself for once?

6. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Coming from you that's the funniest thing I've seen on this site for some while.

Go on, then. Explain why such a successful general and professional soldier was a walt.

Or just f*ck off and die, Kelvin.
  7. I think some of us here, do not understand just how much our, "American cousins", don't do history. and what it can teach us.
  8. A-J.

USMarineX is a trolling, walting, cnut. Leave him alone and he'll go back to masturbating over Calvin Klein boxer short ads and Soldier of Fortune magazine.
  9. msr

msr LE

And as for that Sidney Jary, I've spent longer in the NAAFI queue...

10. Arguably Jary achieved his seniority by being "last man standing".
  11. As a graduate historian, I am always keen to broaden my horizons. So, come on, USMarineX, educate me as to why Sun Tzu (never before encountered your spelling. But then, you claim to be American don't you?) is a walting cnut?
  12. Pl Comd for three years? If he'd been any good he would have got promoted.

More time in the present...
  13. Would that be the Walt whos book is still on the reading list at Sandhurst and West Point as well as most of the officer acadamies in the indurtials world.

Interesting idea.
  14. Naafi queue indeed! :) Don't worry, I spotted the Irony.

Like many soldiers of that generation Jarry is a Legend. Had a pint with him on a couple of occassions, he talked a hell of a lot more sense than my DS.

Meeting people like Jarry and reading the odd historical account was a valuable part of my training, probably different now as the DS in various training schools will have real world war fighting experience. When I went through the system, we had inexperienced DS who in some cases had no operational experience at all - I was amazed at the total arrogance displayed by some of the junior Captains, the less experienced the bigger the 'DS God Complex' - so guest lectures from the WW2/Korea/Falklands/Gulf guys gave a valuable insight to balance the sometimes baseless theories we were having forced upon us by doctrine police.

And no, Bravo Two Zero wasn't on the reading List!
  15. Rereading this after an interval I see I havent got it quite right. What I meant was that Jary's importance as an authority is enhanced by the fact so few of his peers survived. Amongst them there would have been better authors, tacticians and teachers but by their bad fortune or Jarys good fortune he is the one both available and inclined to pass on his experience. BTW I'm not intending any disrespect by this line of argument, I suspect the man himself like many veterans would be quick to acknowledge the loss of the flower of their generation.

Brandt, would 'normal' career rules apply in wartime. Granted Enoch Powells ascent was massively accelerated but would it not be the case that the high rates of attrition in Platoon Commanders lead to at least some of the able being held there? If a company commander had a star platoon with an unusually able commander might he not be inclined to try and keep them together and use them to deal with especially difficult jobs?