Was Stalwart HMLC issued to BAOR Mechanised Infantry Battalions 1968-1974

I would like to confirm if the Stalwart was used by Mechanised Infantry (APC) Battalions in BAOR during the period 1968-1974.

The 1964 Infantry Training Manual has a proposed establishment of 11 Stalwarts per APC battalion - 2 with each rifle company and 5 in HQ Company. I have yet to find anything that shows the Stalwart actually issues to the infantry.

I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm or deny whether Stalwarts were part of the mech infantry establishment. Thanks

We had a couple in BAOR in 1979 as a Mech Bn, and they were all with the QM dept. They certainly burnt well and was our Battalions answer to the Atlantic Conveyor, it was amazing how much kit was in the back of that one!

ugly

LE
I suspect if you looked at the Soldier magazine website you may find out if they were actually in service with Mech Bns then? My memories of the old and bold only goes back as far as 1972 when my mob were in Celle (before I left school) and had Mk1 432s.

P

PrinceAlbert

They must have been. They were regularly used to cross the channel to return skint squaddies to the UK for leave.

We had them with 2 Queens (jokes inbound) in Minden in 89
2 Queen's also handed them over to us in 75 in Werl. Firsted used for pack fuel then PODs. 2 per rifle coy one fuel one CQMS.

Sabre Sqn's had one in 1966,used for POL and Cross Channel Ferries.IT HAPPENED,I TELL YER,11HUSSARS.He did get into Channel,as for afterwards,well.....

1KOSB stationed in Belfast Barracks, Osnabruck 1967-71 as part of 12 Mechanised Brigade had Stalwarts as did all of the other mechanised infantry Bns in BAOR at that time.

to give the boring answer, yes they were. Well they were with 1 Queens in Werl in 1975 - 1979 and I seem to remember that each rifle Coy had two, one for fuel and the other for general cargo with a few other scattered around the Bn. Cant remember much about it as I was a Pte stuck in the back of a 432

ugly

LE
Was HMLC any use in the field, did the 432s go antwhere a loded 4 tonner couldnt? Sorry to hijack but apart from the ally factor it doesnt really seem to be much use, an alvis solution looking for a problem!

Was HMLC any use in the field, did the 432s go antwhere a loded 4 tonner couldnt? Sorry to hijack but apart from the ally factor it doesnt really seem to be much use, an alvis solution looking for a problem!

I think you'll find 'B' vehicles in general were pretty shit at 'swimming',and loaded 4 tonnes weren't 'Gods answer' on 'Tac routes',but the cabs were handy for stowing your gear! ^~