Was Serving In The Military Your Life and if so Why?

Despite the b******t and generally being arrsed about, SNCO's (and even some juniors) who treated us like s**t, bullys and more useless ar******s than an abbatoir, it was alright.
From time to time me and an old mate get together and travel back in time. We generally agree that, despite my above, we had more good times than bad. We both quite liked being on ops, doing a bit of real soldiering stuff. I did longer in the TA than regular and seeing how the Army was going I am glad I am now out.
Would I do it again? Of course I would. Today? No chance.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My attitude most of the time while serving......
86279083_10157333676183043_1900715713597800448_o.jpg

View attachment 449745
"Hello all stations, I'm fcuking pissed off"
"Hello unknown call sign, this is zero, please state call sign over"
"Hello zero, this is unknown call sign, I'm not that fcuking pissed off, out"

Joined in 2010, left 2016. Enlisted as I wanted to go to Afghanistan, which I did twice.

The enduring ops cycle made all the bullsh*t tolerable, good training and exercise packages, being mentored and commanded by quality top third NCOs who had been forged by repeated tours to Iraq and Afghanistan (not the mongs you see on FYB bullying blokes to pay coy subs or demanding to be addressed by their rank through social media etc) though come 2014/15 with stuff like Temperer, frequent RAAT stuff to sh*t holes in the SW of England etc and the general tedium of barrack bullsh*t, life in the infantry was very unappealing.

Don't keep in touch with anyone from my time in, frequent perusal of FYB reminds me how gash a 'peace time' army is. I only recommend it to teenagers whose alternative actually is a HMYOI. If we find ourselves in hot sandy places again? Definitely, get a tour or two and get out unless you find it's really for you.

View attachment 449745
As an RTG: 'Fcuking Infantry biffs'..... Then a stint in the TA LI myself, gave me an understanding of the problems. I can still recall the presentation on the manpack and its fault finding consisted of switching it off and on again.

In the TA, 'fcuking radios' - as within a day I was effectively the battalion signaller, having joined the infantry to not carry radios about.

Reading this thread makes me wonder what on Earth persuaded the MoD to put Crapita in charge of recruitment ?
It's like asking a hairdresser to recruit nuclear scientists .
All they had to do was interview a few off here at resettlement , offer them the job and it's taken care of .

All they had to do was interview a few off here at resettlement , offer them the job and it's taken care of .
And you could see that ending well?

Latest Threads