Was Serving In The Military Your Life and if so Why?

par avion

War Hero
Joined at 17, still serving almost 37 years later. I will probably take an FTRS contract when my regular service ends in a few months.

So I guess that’s a yes :)
Would you say the first thirty years were the worst? And after that you started to enjoy it.

theinventor

Old-Salt
Joined up for 3 "to get it out of my system" finally left after 12. Recently clocked up more years in my current job than I served for but this job won't ever feel like "who I am".
Right now am trying to lead a 100+ team over the finishing line of a 3 year transformation programme to a tight deadline, I'm drawing on years of service experience and its "challenging but rewarding" but at the end of the day they're still just a bunch of civvies trying to install some IT sh1t.
Like the poster above, I get more out of walking the dog as quietly as I can on a moonlit night and watching the wildlife while keeping an eye out for the nearest ERV point.

The things some people do to get away from Liverpool. ;)
What’s an FTRS out of interest?
As said above, Full Time Reserve Service, jobs are advertised on the RAOL

Saves be having to get a ‘proper job’ and working for a living :)

Will you be going in directly as a Chelsea Pensioner at the conclusion of your career, or will you be going via the Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London route? :)
Chelsea Pensioner all the way, got to sort the small problem of the missus first though ^~

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
Funny how that works, with me it's burning tyres, takes me right back that.
For me it's the smell of a rotting badger on a dusty hard shoulder on a hot summers day!!

Chelsea Pensioner all the way, got to sort the small problem of the missus first though ^~
Just quietly mention that the patio needs re-laying.

My younger brother is serving now, I definitely pick this up.

The Army of today would struggle to do what the Army of 2003 did.

I mean we used to aggressively invite ourselves into places like Iraq.

Nowadays the QM goes round the block cutting plugs off toasters etc.
Jumpers for goalposts..... :)

And worrying about the knock on the door from the 'Historical Sex Offences Team'.
Memories of scale A parades at Chatham.

Bloke taking parade:

‘The female (insert name of local slapper) may be known to some of you.....’

*Cue loads of laughing, ripping and low level banter from the ranks.

‘....... has recently been diagnosed with (insert name of howling STI here)’

*Total fcuking silence

Last edited:
Always wanted to be a soldier and when I joined I was always going to do the 22. I joined at 16 and left at 27.

Maybe it was 4 Telic tours in 4 years that finished it for me or I just got a bit older and wiser but I just completely fell out of love with it all.

I have been out 8 years now and never go back to any regimental reunions or keep in touch with lots of the guys. I don't really have anything to do with the military/veteran life full stop.

Would I do it again? absolutely. if there are young people out there reading this thread then I can't recommend the lifestyle highly enough. Even if you just do the minimum time(which I probably should have done) the life experience you get and situations you find yourself in are completely unique to anything else you will ever do.

Maybe as life goes on I will get all misty eyed and reach out to reunions and all of that but for now my sole focus is civvy street and making a life here.

Last edited:
Between 75 and 93, it was my life, and a cracking one it was, but when i left, i left properly, no buckshee kit, not even a beret, i wanted to move on, and did so. However, the last 5 years or so has seen me start to look for some sort of reconnection, got an invite to a reunion this spring, just not sure if i want to go, as it is never going to be the same.

Since leaving i have 2 other careers, both excellent jobs for that part of my life,but i suppose in the end nothing is going to match up to my time in the Army
Thats exactly my attitude..... After maybe 10 years of avoiding anyone and rarely ever talking about it, I started reading and another 15 years goes by, I can put it all into context, understand all that went on around me and from that closure, you then start to reconnect with your past in a positive way.

Always wanted to be a soldier and when I joined I was always going to do the 22. I joined at 16 and left at 27.

Maybe it was 4 Telic tours in 4 years that finished it for me or I just got a bit older and wiser but I just completely fell out of love with it all.

I have been out 8 years now and never go back to any regimental reunions or keep in touch with lots of the guys. I don't really have anything to do with the military/veteran life full stop.

Would I do it again? absolutely. if there are young people out there reading this thread then I can't recommend the lifestyle highly enough. Even if you just do the minimum time(which I probably should have done) the life experience you get and situations you find yourself in are completely unique to anything else you will ever do.

maybe as life goes on I will get all misty eyed and reach out to reunions and all of that but for now my should focus is civvy street and making a life here.
I didn't have anything to do with anything Military related for about 15 years after I left, then a mate got in contact and I now have a few friends that I engage with. Refuse to do reunions or the latest craze of "fests" that are going on.

Like most people I mostly had a great time, of course there were crap times but they get overlooked. Having joined at 16 I have made life long friends, and like most folk met some right choppers whilst serving, and having moved on through a much longer career after I left. I still have some great banter with those I served with, which the non served friends just don't get.

Would I do it again? Of course I would but would have made a couple of different choices.
What he said!

Joined in 1974 << Edit: 1972 ya dumb git! - and enjoyed every posting I got.
My next youngest brother joined in 1976 and enjoyed every posting he got.
The youngest brother joined in 1978 and enjoyed every posting he got.
Our eldest brother joined in 1970 hated every minute and got a Dishonorable. We don't let him join in.

One of our fondest moments was when the 3 of us managed to be in Germany at the same time and spent a weekend together in Minden {& Hamburg}. The story of that weekend was told at the funeral wake of the next youngest brother last December by one of his old army mates. It will probably go down in history as one of the funniest stories ever embellished at a funeral. His kids loved it. The elder brother not so much.

Last edited:
Joined in 1974 and enjoyed every posting I got.
My next youngest brother joined in 1976 and enjoyed every posting he got.
The youngest brother joined in 1978 and enjoyed every posting he got.
Our eldest brother joined in 1970 hated every minute and got a Dishonorable. We don't let him join in.

One of our fondest moments was when the 3 of us managed to be in Germany at the same time and spent a weekend together in Minden {& Hamburg}. The story of that weekend was told at the funeral wake of the next youngest brother last December by one of his old army mates. It will probably go down in history as one of the funniest stories ever embellished at a funeral. His kids loved it. The elder brother not so much.
Details, we want the fecking details....or..or...the puppy buys the fecking farm..

Capiche

Latest Threads