Was Serving In The Military Your Life and if so Why?

As others have said, not my life but it did shape who I turned out to be. I managed 5 years, left in 88, so a long time ago, but those times remain a big part of my life. Had both good & bad times. Would I do it again. Yes, but wth hindsight in a different way & certainly I would have made more of the opportunities afforded to me whilst serving.

As others have said, not my life but it did shape who I turned out to be. I managed 5 years, left in 88, so a long time ago, but those times remain a big part of my life. Had both good & bad times. Would I do it again. Yes, but wth hindsight in a different way & certainly I would have made more of the opportunities afforded to me whilst serving.
Thread drift:

Why isn’t your avatar a fat munter?

:)

no f in beer

Old-Salt
Between 75 and 93, it was my life, and a cracking one it was, but when i left, i left properly, no buckshee kit, not even a beret, i wanted to move on, and did so. However, the last 5 years or so has seen me start to look for some sort of reconnection, got an invite to a reunion this spring, just not sure if i want to go, as it is never going to be the same.

Since leaving i have 2 other careers, both excellent jobs for that part of my life,but i suppose in the end nothing is going to match up to my time in the Army

Robme

LE
It was my life for 22 years.

Through good times, bad times, laughs, tears, blood and snot. That was just SCBC & PSBC :D :D

Do it all again - You better believe it.

Wake up call, grow up fast call for an 18 year old.

View attachment 449532
Warren point, I was just transferring to the Paras when that happened, first thing the RCT RSM said the next day was ‘you still keen on joining’

Robme

LE
Each and every day, from Pads Brat in 1956, to when I finished my TA service in 1990. The best Tim of my life, with my dad we travelled the world, and lived in a dozen different countries from BAOR to Woo er or Rock Range in Australia. Joined at 17 and a little bit, served with the RCT, the most off the wall outfit in the British Army transferred to the Paras and ended up 7 years in Northern Ireland with the MoD. Left the Army lasted 1 weekend then joined them TA. I would do it all yesterday/today/tomorrow.
It was the best for me, and made me what I am in a man. Currently the family have 4 soldiers serving from the RA to the rifles. All 4 of who have claimed the same love affair that my generation enjoyed.
moreover the disrespect that the Government have shown to the Armed Forces is a national disgrace, and I was hoping that Boris would put things right, however no such luck.

Its the difference between hollywood and real life, is elbow in human faeces.. As is eating the local grub and getting the trots. You never see those hunky navy SEALs on the box having anything but perfect kit.
Yes exactly, you don’t get sh1tty elbows playing Call Of Duty and all that. Kids these days eh :lol:

Yes exactly, you don’t get sh1tty elbows playing Call Of Duty and all that. Kids these days eh :lol:
When asked what it was like, I usually suggest they have 4 hours kip a night, for a fortnight, eat rubbish and keep the heating off, then don a sunderland strip and take a walk around st james park.

I left ATR Bassingbourn in 1985, a while later I was talking to someone I worked with there who told me that is what had happened, so basing it on hearsay.

Rumour Control over and out...
That someone was lying.

Correct on both statements mukka :thumleft:

I was actually giving my UBAC a few days off. I leaned my elbow into a pile of human sh1t patrolling through a ditch. Was fcuking lifitng for ages.
Good for morale though, not yours obviously Stercus Cubitus, but everyone elses.

Thread drift:

Why isn’t your avatar a fat munter?

:)
I saved a copy of his Avatar before he changed it, then changed it back again. I'm sure the one I've kept has got a pussy cat looking scared to death at what the woman is displaying....

I saved a copy of his Avatar before he changed it, then changed it back again. I'm sure the one I've kept has got a pussy cat looking scared to death at what the woman is displaying....
And here it is....daraaa
F7C0CB89-2C5F-4368-B582-8F0F203736CD.jpeg

I joined purely because I could get camo kit and a sleeping bag that I could use for carp fishing.
30 years later, I'm still shit at carp fishing.

I joined purely because I could get camo kit and a sleeping bag that I could use for carp fishing.
30 years later, I'm still shit at carp fishing.
Sleeping bags have never been a favourite of the carp fish. You tried hemp flavoured boilies?

Sleeping bags have never been a favourite of the carp fish. You tried hemp flavoured boilies?
Prefer worm or slugs tbh. Carp where I fish have switched onto boilies. I get better results using natural baits.
Oh and Marmite flavour cheese. They nuking futs for that.

My younger brother is serving now, I definitely pick this up.

The Army of today would struggle to do what the Army of 2003 did.

I mean we used to aggressively invite ourselves into places like Iraq.

Nowadays the QM goes round the block cutting plugs off toasters etc.

I hope, or maybe don't, they've unplugged them first.

Latest Threads