Was my son's death in Afghanistan a price worth paying?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by shortarms, May 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow, a pretty humbling piece coming so soon after his son's death. It seems quite a lucid and unsentimental assessment of the situtation as well, impressive considering what must be going on in his head.
  2. Unfortunately it wasn't worth it. We will not win in Afghanistan. The country is totally corrupt and many do not want change. Trying to push Afghanistan into the 21st century before it is ready is futile and dangerous. There are many countries in similar situations but we choose to ignore because they weren't seen to be the perpetrators of 9/11. The reason there are so many fighters there is because WE are there. Britain is not benefiting from being there but merley spending billions flogging a dead horse and wasting lives.
    • Like Like x 32
  3. Like Fally says, it isn't worth it. At least we will be out at 2014 because the Afghan government want us out....isn't our general election in 2015?......no, I'm being cynical!
  4. RIP Sam Alexander, and mucho respect to a father who must have thought this sad possibility through many, many times.
  5. My heart-felt condolences to the family, especially the parents. Some tough times ahead and I hope they get through them.
  6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Fally nails it - it's just a terrible waste of good men and treasure for no good reason.
    • Like Like x 1

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Whatever the reason, just as long as we get out as soon as possible, learn the lessons and don't repeat the folly.
  8. Sadly they have probably already earmarked us for some other shite hole, where there is **** all but oil.
  9. I can't see how it's worth it, the government will churn out propaganda about how we are improving their lives etc. What has the cost been in money and lives to date ? What would be the cost of improving our own border security ? What about the thousands of illegal immigrants who are here ? We have no idea of the true numbers, whereabouts or their intentions. We are constantly told that the war is essential to protect us here. How can that be so when we have no idea who is here ?
  10. ..............invade (instanst sunshine) Pakistan, support India and negotiate a DMZ in Kashmir, cede China area 'big brother' rights. Down side is we might have to fight to reclaim the Suez (America was shortsighted first time round, have to fight this time)
  11. As much as Fally is right, Former Fyrdman is wrong. The folly will be repeated, not if just when.
    Cynical me? Born of experience.
  12. No one supports the war then?
  13. Walt, you cannot use the 'W' word.
  14. Besides the politicians, Mr Hesco, arms dealers and kit/equipment suppliers then probably not.
    • Like Like x 2