Was it worth it?...

Since 1994 the United States military has dismissed 10,000 service members for being Gay. One can reasonably assume that they were more than adequate soldiers, sailors and air force personnel. The cost to the government to recruit and train replacements has been $ 200 million.

Is it true that Britain has dropped the exclusion policy [ 5 years ago?] and now hunts for recruits in the gay community?

waiting for the tirades..thank you...

It is now perfictly acceptable to be gay (at least in the legal sense) in the British Army and has been for about 4 years.

Don't know about adverts in hoop lover's monthly or whatever but the RAF did take part in a Gay Pride Parade in Manchester. :? But then they've always been proud to be different

Great quote from the movie "Stripes"

US NCO to Bill Murry: Are either of you Homosexual?

Bill Murry: No but we're ready to learn

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:34 pm Post subject: Re: Was it worth it?...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was a requirement for the British Army. Does it give you extra points toward promotion?
Only if you push back and reach around :wink:

All armed forces it is legal to be homosexual now. The contract changed 3 or 4 yrs ago. But people who signed the contract that they weren't "gay" then it still stuck.

Annoying all the crappy rules huh

Anya1982 said:
All armed forces it is legal to be homosexual now. The contract changed 3 or 4 yrs ago. But people who signed the contract that they weren't "gay" then it still stuck.

ROFLMAO!!! It's all there - words, punctuation etc etc - it just doesn't make any sense!! :D

Corporal said:
I thought it was a requirement for the British Army. Does it give you extra points toward promotion?
Did you have a bad experience corps?

Wanna share it with the group?

:lol:

When I joined it was still an offence to be homosexual, now it is permissible. I am glad I left before it was made compulsory

Ozgerbobble said:
Corporal said:

No Oz, no experiences with this at all. Using MDN and Aunty as reference, I assumed it was mandatory.

Flash, keep talking trash and I'll publish the tache pic. :wink: :lol:

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'll publish it anyway!

The Lord Flasheart said:
Thats what corpse said before just prior to getting entered by 6 'butch bikers' from San Fransisco. He's gayer than McGay.
Does it give you extra points toward promotion?
If that was the case, corpse, you would have been a ten star General?
How'd ye ken Auld McGay :?:

Corporal said:
Ozgerbobble said:
Corporal said:

No Oz, no experiences with this at all. Using MDN and Aunty as reference, I assumed it was mandatory.

Flash, keep talking trash and I'll publish the tache pic. :wink: :lol:

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'll publish it anyway!

I thought this was him with his bird

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocketeer said:
Since 1994 the United States military has dismissed 10,000 service members for being Gay. One can reasonably assume that they were more than adequate soldiers, sailors and air force personnel. The cost to the government to recruit and train replacements has been $ 200 million.

Is it true that Britain has dropped the exclusion policy [ 5 years ago?] and now hunts for recruits in the gay community?

waiting for the tirades..thank you...
Where did the figure of 10,000 come from? How can you "reasonably assume that they were more than adequate soldiers, sailors and air force personnel."?
How many of them were dismissed because they tested positive for HIV?
Considering the US policy, what brought such attention to these 10,000 to lead to dismissal?

Canada has also dropped the exclusion policy, hasn't it?
Doesn't the CF allow full benefits to "same sex" partners of serving members?
Do they allow the same benefits to unmarried opposite sex partners living together as well?

Once again, RC, the figures come from the Washington Post.. I assume they verify those numbers with the Pentagon...dismissals/discharges show cause...so, one can extrapolate that they were ' outed ' in some way...[ voluntarily to get out of hot spot deployments? or otherwise ]- some, officially outed themselves to make a point...doubt that they would release HIV as a cause for dismissal, given doctor/patient privilege. etc...

that is not the point..

These were qualified service personnel who were recruited, trained and expected to perform their military duties to a set standard.. to lose them for the sole reason that they were gay means that they had to be replaced.. this costs time, effort, and, as the article suggested money

Question then becomes the age-old one on Gays in the military..was the cost justified because they were an ' administrative burden '? [ disrupting the military in some way..]

Canadian Forces are ' fully integrated ' and, so far, there haven't been any [ publicly acknowledged at any rate ] problems..

As for benefits for ' other relationships ' - oh,my, yes.. all dependents and personnel are well looked after.. Military even paid for a sex change operation for a soldier.. we're noting if not ' liberal ' in our outlook..

At last year's Garrison Ball, two naval officers [ male ] danced together an no one batted an eye [ though there was some ardent discussion at the bar ]
Still, that's the navy for you..they've been a little ' off' ever since they ' invented ' cabin boys...

Mr Happy

LE
I'm too happy to give a flying but you know, if the Mil has issues with you being gay these days, its the Mil's fault and not yours.

Plenty of closets served in some conflict somewhere, storming jerry bunkers, clearing vietcong tunnels and putting our house fires (that is the army's job right?) out for this argument to still acutally be an issue. Anyone with an issue can PM me.

Rocketeer said:
Still, that's the navy for you..they've been a little ' off' ever since they ' invented ' cabin boys...
Bring me another cabin boy, this one's split!

Anya1982 said:

Is there something you want to share Anya?

Latest Threads