Was it the IRA or INLA that killed Mounbatten?

Timothy

Swinger
Lord Mountbatten died in 1979 after a bomb blew up the boat he was on. Most places attribute this to the IRA, but I once read it was the IRA offshoot the INLA. The Sydney Morning Herald, a respected newspaper, agrees with me. So which is it?

Mountbatten had his legs blown off. I once read that he then drowned, but some disagree. I'd also like to settle that.

Both PIRA and INLA claimed responsibility. The evidence suggests that it was PIRA that was responsible.

According to an FCO message at 1445hrs on 27 Aug 1979 to No 10, the first claim responsibility was by the INLA in a telephone call to the Irish Independent Newspaper.
Later a message from the Irish PM stated that the Provisionals had claimed responsibility.
A message from President Carter was overwritten by a British civil servant to not there was no mention of 'murder' or 'terrorism'.
Jack Lynch was in Portugal on the day of the attack but sent a further personal letter the following day via the Irish Ambassador. This also referred to the Provisionals as the perpetrators.

Timothy

Swinger
PIRA also claimed responsibility for the killing of Airey Neave, but that turned out to be the INLA. True, PIRA member Thomas McMahon was put away for it, but courts aren't perfect, particularly when it comes to Northern Ireland. But it does sound like it was PIRA.

PIRA also claimed responsibility for the killing of Airey Neave, but that turned out to be the INLA. True, PIRA member Thomas McMahon was put away for it, but courts aren't perfect, particularly when it comes to Northern Ireland. But it does sound like it was PIRA.
I think the thing to be aware of is that PIRA organization, particularly in the counties of Southern Command, was not as fluid or connected as is often imagined. Spectacular ops were usually planned and controlled by GHQ, whereas day to day Ops were subject to a local decision and in some cases, merely to SOPs. I seem to recall reading that Mountbatten's killing may have been an opportune target devoid of central control and that word of the event was as much news to the hierarchy as it was to anyone else, but I will check the source material.

ETA my understanding is that McMahon built and placed the bomb, and then left the area. Others triggered the remote control radio signal that set it off.

And part of the reason for it, on that day as opposed to any years before, was supposedly his designs for Vectis, the UK's highest security prison for terrorist / criminals on the Isle of Wight.

Latest Threads