Was I physically assaulted or should I just forget about it?

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by petite_butsweet, Apr 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This afternoon in a crowded park that has been recently been made for SMALL children I had a 14 year old kid throw a leather football straight at me (he was about 8foot away) and really violently after I asked him to leave the park and play his aggressive game of catch somewhere else (there was only 70 other acres of park to choose from).

He had just knocked someone elses 3 year old over with the ball and was throwing it around way too hard in such a small spacce. I was with my five and three year old kids and he had previously just missed my little girl.

By the way, only one parent out of a packed park asked me if I was ok.

My arm is really bloody sore, three eye witnesses seen him do it, but for some reason I feel like I shouldn't have called the police. (He was at the same time hurling abuse and to be honest I felt quite intimidated.).

Was I right to ask him to leave?

Should I not have brought my kids in to the play area because he was there and being so rough in the first place?

Should I have called the police? (I am still waiting for them to come and take a statement)

I really don't know .... so any clarity would be quite appreciated. :?

Oh yeah and he just punched another kid straight in the face apparently. Had I have known this little gem maybe I would have gone to another park - but should I have to do that :?:

I just don't know what kind of world we live in anymore.
  2. And by the way I am a 4ft "11" inch small female. He was about 5ft6. :oops: :cry:
  3. IMHO you did the right thing.Shame civpol are taking their time but only to be expected.Did you/can you get names of witnesses?
  4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yes. You were right to call the police, nothing of any great import may happen, but it is right and proper that it should be recorded.
    And, you should not feel that you should not have taken your children there in the first place. That gives validation to his bullying behaviour.
    I understand and appreciate how you feel, and that it was a frightening experience, but if we give in to the mindless youths, to the feral scum that pervade our lives, then we carry on losing, until we become prisoners in our own houses.
    The lack of concern and help from other parents is yet another example of bystander-apathy. A syndrome that corrupts and corrodes our lives. I am old enough to recall the days that if this had happened - and thanks to vigilant and strict park-keepers it rarely dis - then other parents and adults would have been outraged and acted accordingly.
    I am sorry, on behalf of humanity, that this happened to you, and I hope it does not sour you for giving your children the freedom they deserve.
  5. You're better of calling the police to be honest, it'll probably take a while for them to get to you as it is Saturday Afternoon into the evening and they'll be busy.

As there is no further danger to yourself it will probably be prioritised as routine.

If you have any visible injuries its a good idea to take a photo of them as this is good evidence.

No the little twot had no right to behave in that manner so your were right to challenge him like that, it's a pity more don't instead of letting undisciplined little bar stewards run riot.
  6. Apparently the police will be in contact over the next 48 hours. If he had punched me would they take it more seriously?? I think so.

Just really glad mr petite wasn't there because he would have ended up in serious trouble over the little git.

Do I chase up the police about this or not bother if they don't come back. I am legitimately in a bit of discomfort with the arm, so am not just able to forget it at the moment..... :( But feel like a total mong for wanting something to be done.
  7. See my above and keep onto them.
  8. Phone them back and kick up a stink , tell them you are distressed and have injuries.
  9. My bold. Unfortunately, we are no longer able to disipline other peoples kids for fear of being arrested or accused of being a kiddie fiddler.

Second point, please dont use that phrase, arrgh!! :wink:

10. Absolutely right in what you did. Going elsewhere or ignoring that sort of behaviour is allowing the bully to win - not only wrong in itself, but a bad and possibly harmful example for your youngsters to see. If they encounter bullying later in life, how will they cope effectively with it if they have a precident of "mummy runs from 14 year olds"?

As for reporting to the police, my personal belief is that every incident of this sort should be reported regardless of whether or not there will be a "satisfactory" outcome. Some may argue that it wastes (badly needed) police time recording this sort of thing but, as long as it's NOT recorded, some "interested parties" can continue to claim that things are improving, and will have statistics to "prove" it.

This sort of pervasive, low-level, criminality probably has a much greater effect on most people's quality of life than all the burglaries / armed robberies / murders etc put together yet it goes largely unacknowledged. That will only change when people start reporting it regularly and making it a matter of record!
  11. One that is not fit for humans now, I fear.

He is suffering from a common youthful delusion that he is hard, because he hasn't yet gone beyond his shallow part of the gene pool. Once upon a time someone's Dad would have chinned him. His own dad would have belted him when he found out, the police would have told him to clear off and cracked him one over the skull if he didn't. Now everyone's scared he might have a knife, anyone giving him a well-deserved slap will get charged along with, or instead of, him and the police are swamped with pointless paperwork so that they rarely venture beyong their desks.

You've been assaulted.
    What happens now is that the civvy police are work-dodging barstewards; unless they've got his identity and statements from several reliable witnesses and CCTv footage, they can't do anything. However, they will be looking for any excuse to avoid doing anything. Expect total disinterest.
  12. I agree that you shouldn't teach your kids to run away.

Problem is my little boy (who is a sensitive, thoughtful wee chap at the best of times) calls me "the rescuer". I am the one with the kiss on the sore knee, the advice about a problem or just a new battery for his remote control car. And because Dad is always away the role of protector is very much mine. But today, he JUST missed (thank God) seeing Mummy needing rescuing (he had just run in a different direction). What on earth would that have done for him - to see the one person who is there to look after him day to day be assaulted?

I can't believe that I feel this upset about something like this. But it's just that it seems like somewhere that should be safe isn't, in a town that is supposed to be rural and with kids who are supposed to be reasonably ok and aren't.
  13. Have any of us said yet that YES you were assaulted? If not then, YES you were physically assaulted.

ok just seen above so yep it has been said ................note to self: post quicker
  14. you shouldve covered the little scrote in petrol and set fire to him.
  15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Absolutely right!
    Some years ago, a series of surveys were carried out on behalf of my (then) police force, one survey asked the general public what they thought the role of the police should be, what the priorities in policing should be. The other asked the same question of the bobbies. Results were interesting. Public wanted all the petty nuisannces that affect their lives to be a priority. Drunken and loutish behaviour, cycles on footpaths, litter, dogs roaming, speeding in town, and parking on footpath, And lots more in a similar vein.
    Response from bobbies? Armed robbery. Murder. Arson. Terrorism.
    Now, while these are heinous crimes, they actually, in real terms, affect very few people, and are still quite rare. Certainly not common in a small and well-ordered University city, but the other stuff, the dross. That is what causes common people sleepless nights and heartache.