• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Was Gordon Brown a covert adviser for Mugabe ?

$217 or about 40p in real money.

My children had a Zimbabwe teacher at their school who was a great teacher and super sportsman. At the end of term they gave him a card with 'Thanks a Billion' on it. Inside we had put a Zimbabwe 10 billion dollar note which I got off eBay....for about a fiver.

Alsacien

MIA
$217 or about 40p in real money.

My children had a Zimbabwe teacher at their school who was a great teacher and super sportsman. At the end of term they gave him a card with 'Thanks a Billion' on it. Inside we had put a Zimbabwe 10 billion dollar note which I got off eBay....for about a fiver.
Which is why Zim now officially uses US $ and Rand.

Evidently not.

A $217 surplus at the end of the week is good housekeeping, not a thumping great billion pound deficit of accumulated extra debt.

Well done Zimbabwe & Robert Mugabe.
Dunno about that, my statement always has a 4 figure sum in the deposible amount figure, even if I have dipped lightly into the minus numbers of my giro account.

Signallers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
So if they give say £1,000,000 to Zim it works out R14,281,190.000 they must be Raking it in!
considering that that the average worker earns (Area A – 27+ hours per week - R4.10 + R2.05 = R6.15)
Something isnt right with this govenment!

You're right $217 in the current account isn't too bad at the end of the month,

However you'd weep at their credit card statements, their Wonga loan, and the shitload they owe to 'appy 'arry who's coming around next week and he insists on being paid or the kitten gets it. OK

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I think this is what all this is about.

Mr Biti told the BBC's Focus on Africa radio programme that his statement had been deliberately taken out of context. "You journalists are mischievous and malicious - the point I was making was that the Zimbabwean government doesn't have the funds to finance the election, to finance the referendum," he said.
So the Zimbabwe government is so broke that it can't finance elections - which means Comrade Mugabe will have to stay in power.

That's innovative thinking. Rather than have to pay a lot of thugs to terrorise the opposition and another lot of thugs to stuff the ballot boxes, you can just use the financial problems as a reason to call off the election.

So - as Mugabe will lie, steal and cheat to stay in power - at least he'll do it at a lower cost. That's fiscal responsibility for you....

Wordsmith

Well my OP was obviously tongue in cheek and further I am not well versed in the arts ( dark ? ) of economics and banking but I would have thought that after all the turmoil , investigations , audits and legislation over the past few years the big skeletons in the cupboard , or safe , would have been found ... so off thread ... but within the general theme of disturbing discoveries in the bank .... what about this ...

(Reuters) -(A )secret document at the heart of the Monte dei Paschi banking
scandal lay for months in a concealed safe in a 14th century Tuscan palace.
... linky ... Insight: Monte dei Paschi harbored bank within a bank | Reuters

.... perhaps Zimbabwe could benefit by the application of a similar wheeze ... unless it already has been done and a key has gone missing .

Edited ... as an afterthought I hope Gordon with his light control of banking / finance did not create a situation in which UK banks now have similar documents securely locked in forgotten safes .

So if they give say £1,000,000 to Zim it works out R14,281,190.000 they must be Raking it in!
considering that that the average worker earns (Area A – 27+ hours per week - R4.10 + R2.05 = R6.15)
Something isnt right with this govenment!
How do you think Mugabe became a multi billionaire?

Stercus accidit

Latest Threads