Was Gordon Brown a covert adviser for Mugabe ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Border_Reiver, Jan 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Nope, he was just a ****, even old man Robert wouldn't have had anything to do with him as it might have ruined his reputation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Evidently not.

A $217 surplus at the end of the week is good housekeeping, not a deficit.

Well done Zimbabwe & Robert Mugabe.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That does kind of overlook the 220% GDP debt of course.....but a hybrid of ZANU PF/New Labour has been suggested before :)

4. i think if we calculated the difference between cash in and cash out, it might not be as much as $217. What did Mr Micawber say?

5. $217 or about 40p in real money.

My children had a Zimbabwe teacher at their school who was a great teacher and super sportsman. At the end of term they gave him a card with 'Thanks a Billion' on it. Inside we had put a Zimbabwe 10 billion dollar note which I got off eBay....for about a fiver.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Which is why Zim now officially uses US $ and Rand.

7. Dunno about that, my statement always has a 4 figure sum in the deposible amount figure, even if I have dipped lightly into the minus numbers of my giro account.

8. Wow - just imagine the disaster Zim would be if he were an advisor...

9. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

So if they give say £1,000,000 to Zim it works out R14,281,190.000 they must be Raking it in!
    considering that that the average worker earns (Area A – 27+ hours per week - R4.10 + R2.05 = R6.15)
    Something isnt right with this govenment!

10. You're right $217 in the current account isn't too bad at the end of the month,

However you'd weep at their credit card statements, their Wonga loan, and the shitload they owe to 'appy 'arry who's coming around next week and he insists on being paid or the kitten gets it. OK

11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I think this is what all this is about.

So the Zimbabwe government is so broke that it can't finance elections - which means Comrade Mugabe will have to stay in power.

That's innovative thinking. Rather than have to pay a lot of thugs to terrorise the opposition and another lot of thugs to stuff the ballot boxes, you can just use the financial problems as a reason to call off the election.

So - as Mugabe will lie, steal and cheat to stay in power - at least he'll do it at a lower cost. That's fiscal responsibility for you....

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 2
  12. Well my OP was obviously tongue in cheek and further I am not well versed in the arts ( dark ? ) of economics and banking but I would have thought that after all the turmoil , investigations , audits and legislation over the past few years the big skeletons in the cupboard , or safe , would have been found ... so off thread ... but within the general theme of disturbing discoveries in the bank .... what about this ...

... linky ... Insight: Monte dei Paschi harbored bank within a bank | Reuters

.... perhaps Zimbabwe could benefit by the application of a similar wheeze ... unless it already has been done and a key has gone missing .

Edited ... as an afterthought I hope Gordon with his light control of banking / finance did not create a situation in which UK banks now have similar documents securely locked in forgotten safes .

13. How do you think Mugabe became a multi billionaire?

Stercus accidit